Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. Another question...a case of farkle on farkle on farkle interference.
Got a 2013 KLR. Got a set of SW Motech crash bars. Got an MSR shift lever. That combination seemed to have been working fine.
Now I lowered the footpegs about 1" ( self fabricated shortened peg brackets). Was hoping to turn the shifter down by 1 notch to match the new peg position and it hits the lower frame clamp on the SW Motech crash bar if you push it down, as in it doesn't even come close to downshifting. As it turns out, the shifter always hit the clamp even before if pushed down hard-but seems to have worked fine. Anyone here with lowered pegs AND SW Motech bars? Anyone know a shift lever that has a curve to go around that spot?
Cheers.

·
Premium Member
2002 gen 1 street-ized commuter special
62 Posts
you might be able to grind on shifter to get needed clearance....maybe..

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you might be able to grind on shifter to get needed clearance....maybe..
No, if I lower it by a notch it really doesn't move down at all almost. I considered cutting and re welding the crash bar to move the clamp forward by 2 inches or so, but I'd rather avoid if possible...

·
Premium Member
11,089 Posts
Sounds like you need a bench vise, vise-grips and an oxy/acetelyene torch to re-bend your shifter, if it is steel, not aluminum. And then some paint.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like you need a bench vise, vise-grips and an oxy/acetelyene torch to re-bend your shifter, if it is steel, not aluminum. And then some paint.
Considered that, but not sure what that'll do to the strength of the shifter...
Any idea if a Moose shift lever(std, not +1) has a different bend from the factory?

·
Premium Member
11,089 Posts
Some aftermarket gear pedals are indexed 1/2 a spline different than the OEM gear pedals, possibly by accident, possibly on purpose. But I could (not) tell you which brands, sorry. :(

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For now i took the shifter off and reshaped it a bit , cold with a vise and 4 pound hammer, being careful to only clamp and bend the arm and not the ends. At least now it has zero interference in the old position, and at this point the next thing it would hit is the frame itself if put 1 notch down. Will try lifting my whole foot for downshifting and see how i like it.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
I also have the sw-motech bars, and pegs adjusted with the JNS Foot peg Lowering Brackets. I have the same issue with the splines for the shifter... a bit too high or too low. To shift down I do have to lift my foot off the shifter to shift down a gear. I've adjusted to this but it's far from optimal.
I have not yet experimented with other shifters but may try bending mine outward to see if I can get it to clear the sw-motech crashbar mount.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts