Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy! Being a very small person (5'3"), I put 2" lowering links on my bike and now my back tire rubs on my exhaust pipe. I plan to lower the front forks before I ride it but haven't yet done so - has anyone else had this rubbing problem, and did lowering the forks alleviate it? Or is there some other mod I'll have to make to bring the exhaust pipe out a little further away from the tire? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
11,515 Posts
Lowering the front of your bike will not change the rear tire / muffler interference.

I can only guess that your bike has an aftermarket muffler on it?

Either grab a hand-full & bent its brackets or install spacer washers between its mounts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lowering the front of your bike will not change the rear tire / muffler interference.

I can only guess that your bike has an aftermarket muffler on it?

Either grab a hand-full & bent its brackets or install spacer washers between its mounts.
Thanks, that's what I suspected. It is indeed an aftermarket muffler, seems easy enough to fix though.

·
Lifetime Member
2,515 Posts
I did the spacer washer thing on my 08 when I put Avon Gripsters on it that were a little wider than the stockers. That was with the stock exhaust, but it only took three or four washers to clearance it properly. Can't remember if I had to buy a longer bolt though, I think I might have.

·
Registered
KLR 2014 Gen 2
361 Posts
Lowering the suspension is the worst thing you can do to your bike

The KLR is a low bike by off road standards and lowering it can only make it dangerous

Get it back to stock height and get yourself a lower seat

You can purchase a lower seat or re shape your own foam shaving off 2 inches of foam

You can achieve the same effect without compromising performance

·
Registered
1985 KLR600
112 Posts
Another 5’3” rider?! Cool👊.

I’ve kinda learned how to balance and hop on mine using the foot peg and the tips of my shoes. Yet I’m still nervous to push my limits and hone my skills. If it starts to tip, ain’t got a leg left to stand on😂

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lowering the suspension is the worst thing you can do to your bike

The KLR is a low bike by off road standards and lowering it can only make it dangerous

Get it back to stock height and get yourself a lower seat

You can purchase a lower seat or re shape your own foam shaving off 2 inches of foam

You can achieve the same effect without compromising performance
I did get a lower seat first (the lowest I could find), and my feet were still dangling off the sides. Once I get comfortable on this bike I plan to raise it back to height, but until then I'm going to let my feet touch the ground. 👍

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Another 5’3” rider?! Cool👊.

I’ve kinda learned how to balance and hop on mine using the foot peg and the tips of my shoes. Yet I’m still nervous to push my limits and hone my skills. If it starts to tip, ain’t got a leg left to stand on😂
I feel you! I am definitely going to be hopping around and probably falling a couple times until I get the hang of it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.