Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Lifetime Member
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just a heads up. My 08 snapped it's speedo cable this morning on the way to work... The inner cable snapped about 3 inches up from the wheel. When I did some googling it seems this is a fairly common thing on the gen 2's. Very little lube in the sheath and it was kind of nasty looking, I think if I had lubed it that it wouldn't have broken. Bike has 14000 km's on it, might not hurt to drop a little oil in yours if you get a chance. :stickpoke:

·
Lifetime Member
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lol, no problem :). Good news is that the cable is only $28 Cdn. Bad news is I have to wait a week for it to arrive! I can't live without my KLR for a week so I'm mounting my GPS on the bars to monitor my speed. Rest assured I'll grease 'er up good before I install the new one!

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Thanks for the heads up!

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Yes, anything that should have grease in it on the KLR should be checked on delivery.
As someone posted before...... "grease must be more precious than gold in Thailand".

·
Registered
1 Posts
Lol, no problem :). Good news is that the cable is only $28 Cdn. Bad news is I have to wait a week for it to arrive! I can't live without my KLR for a week so I'm mounting my GPS on the bars to monitor my speed. Rest assured I'll grease 'er up good before I install the new one!
Stew, Where did you order the cable from? Anyone in Canada selling these?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
every time i change my tire i lube it, every time i see its a little loose i lube it. eveytime im lubing something else on the bike i lube it. i figure its common practice. as long as im lubing something on the bike i do a once over on all things that need lube.

·
Lifetime Member
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Stew, Where did you order the cable from? Anyone in Canada selling these?
I just ordered mine through my local Kawasaki dealership in Fort Saskatchewan Alberta. A larger dealership might have them in stock. My new cable had hardly any lube in it as well so I made sure that I greased it up good before I installed it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just finished rebuilding the front hub on my 2000, using JB Weld. The speedo tab inside the hub sheared off . I think upkeep of fresh grease would have prevented the break.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts