Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While oiling my chain before taking off on another 370 mile round to visit mom, a trip I just did Sunday, I notice my master-link clip was gone.
I do know how to put one on and I know to put them on the right direction. every bike I have owned in 40yrs of riding, all had chains.

If this post makes you take a double-look at your chain, it was worth it..

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
I like to squeeze my masterlink clip closed slightly with a pair of pliers to make it grip a little tighter once installed. In 35 years of riding I only lost one masterlink clip and I found it gone while oiling the chain just like you did!!
JJ

·
Registered
84 Posts
I found one missing, but I guess I had pressed it pretty tight, I couldn't even pry it apart. Used some wire and twisted it on

Sent from ...

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
Gordon,
In 1988 I walked back to my '74 Z1 from a tour of the Hungry Horse dam just south of Glacier Park, MT. And had the same startling 'heart in the throat' feeling, after spotting the missing clip!
I had been traveling at 80-100 mph, since leaving West Yellowstone MT. I had installed a new RK chain with a very tight fitting, press-fit side plate, just prior to the trip.

I limped to a gas station, acquired some 'safety wire', twisted a figure '8' and traveled a <60 mph for a couple hundred miles.
I spotted a Suzuki GS1000 at a gas station, asked about a master link and yes, he had 2 spares! I offered to fill his gas tank, he declined. He said to pay it forward. Which I did by fixing a flat on an Honda Interceptor 500 from AZ out near Monterey CA the next spring, 1989 UPGP.

Now, I try to remember to 'back-press' the side plates to 'lock' the clips into place!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had to use channel locks to put that master together, probably why it stayed on.
I always carry a spare link, bought a spare when I got the chain.

Back to the shop to get another...

(paying it forward is cool)

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
consider using safety wire on the masterlink clip....some use a dab of silicon too.

Dave
IMO only,
Silicone has no strength!
The Clip can 'slip' from Underneath any 'safety wire' looped over it!

The Only preventive 'cure' that I see is 'back-pressing' the side-plate to 'jam' the clip.

I hate rivet type links. Most owners can NOT deal with them.

My 'lost clip' has been a once in a lifetime experience! I do Not Worry about it! 47 years of biking, so far!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My 'lost clip' has been a once in a lifetime experience! I do Not Worry about it! 47 years of biking, so far!
1st I lost in 40yrs... I am not going to lose sleep over it, may never happen again but I will look closer when oiling the chain.

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
:meme:WAIT!!! Gruet782 had one, pdwestman had one and myself with one........that's :think1:.....THREE!! in a total of 122 riding years!!!:wideeyed:
General Just Jeff

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Well, I also have lost at least one. It seems that the link plates are tight enough fits on the pins that they stay on well without the clip.

I am willing to try a rivet type link. Some say they are a pain because you have to take the swingarm off to get the chain off. My view is that the only time I take a chain off is when it is worn out and then I don't mind taking it off with a grinder.

I had to shorten a buddy's chain on the road with a file. It is doable, but it's not fun.

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
Stock chain is riveted. No clip.
JJ
Back2Kawi,
This is when and why we take a grinder, to 2 of the Outside Link Plate pins. Then using a center punch or better yet a chain breaker we can 'punch' the rivets back-off (out) of the link plate.
Then we connect the New chain to the Old chain and just roll it thru the sprockets!

Some of us do like to replace the front sprocket (Loosen the F. Sprocket Nut FIRST!) with the new chain, it is about 1/3rd the size of the rear sprocket. So it does wear about 3 times as much as the Rear Sprocket!

·
Premium Member
2,903 Posts
IMO only,
Silicone has no strength!
The Clip can 'slip' from Underneath any 'safety wire' looped over it!

The Only preventive 'cure' that I see is 'back-pressing' the side-plate to 'jam' the clip.

I hate rivet type links. Most owners can NOT deal with them.

Paul,

I agree with you; I'm not a fan of the rivet type links either. 39 bikes and 43 years and no problems so far. A couple comments;

- yes silicone has no strength but I believe it's plausible that it helps "stick" the clip the the side plate in all but a direct hit....ditto on the wire......good news is that both things are about .00000001 cents and shouldn't take more than 5 minutes so the downsides are pretty minor. Full disclosure; I haven't done it yet but after receiving the advice from someone I trust, I figured I might as well try it.....next time I clean the chains.

- I think that "back pressing" is the proper way to install an O ring master link and I do it every time.

- Another thing that may contribute to my distinct lack of problems is that I only use high quality chains.....it stands to reason that there may be differences in the quality of the clips.

2 cents,

Dave

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Back2Kawi,
This is when and why we take a grinder, to 2 of the Outside Link Plate pins. Then using a center punch or better yet a chain breaker we can 'punch' the rivets back-off (out) of the link plate...............!
I wonder if there is a reason you don't just pry off the link with a flat screwdriver as I do after grinding the pin heads.

Also, you and Dpelletier both mention "back pressing" to make it hold better. Is that "pressing" the plate back against the rest of the link or "pressing" the pins back in causing the the plate to press tight against the clip as in almost pressing the clip off?

Since in my very limited experience with missing clips I have found the plate to stay onvery well by itself, I like to leave it pressed on to the set point of my chain tool.

Does anyone have thoughts on what is the most likely cause for the clip coming off? If it not from hitting something on bike like the left lower subframe bolt or mud, rocks, sticks trapped in the sprocket cover, then I think we should consider installing the clip pointing away from the direction of chain rotation. This is because the bottom run of the chain is actually normally moving forward in relation to objects on the ground due to the wheel being larger than the sprocket. That is so, unless the rear tire is "peeling out".

·
Premium Member
2,903 Posts
What I meant is prying out on the masterlink side plate against the clip so that the clip is tight against the plate and that the O-rings aren't over compressed.

I put the clip on so that the closed end is in the direction of chain travel. If my mind is working properly and I can remember back to my University Physics classes, the chain should be moving faster than the bike (assuming no spinning) by the ratio of the difference between the sprocket and wheel circumferences.

Regardless, that's how all the dirt bike racers do it and most times the chain is in contact with the ground (or roots, rocks, etc.) the tire is spinning.

Dave

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
What I meant is prying out on the masterlink side plate against the clip so that the clip is tight against the plate and that the O-rings aren't over compressed.

I put the clip on so that the closed end is in the direction of chain travel. If my mind is working properly and I can remember back to my University Physics classes, the chain should be moving faster than the bike (assuming no spinning) by the ratio of the difference between the sprocket and wheel circumferences.

Regardless, that's how all the dirt bike racers do it and most times the chain is in contact with the ground (or roots, rocks, etc.) the tire is spinning.

Dave
I thought you meant "pry out", but asked for the benefit of those wanting to follow your method.

Since the tire is approximately three times larger than the sprocket, the bike moves forward three times faster than the lower chain run moves rearward and the clip will hit things on the ground with a forward motion pushing the clip to the rear. That would make me want to install the clip pointing forward on the bottom run (opposite the direction of chain travel).

But, I think things on the bike - trash in the sprocket cover, that little white plastic chain guard thingy and the left lower subframe bolt - are most likely to dislodge the clip, so I install it as you do. By the way, that subframe bolt is 8mmx 28mm. If someone replaced it with a standard 30mm long bolt, the clip would be even more likely to hit it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts