Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I've been lurking here for a few days now and decided that it doesn't hurt to register. Can someone explain to me why I'm suddenly obsessed with the KLR all of a sudden? I camp a lot in the Sierra's in Northern California and see a lot of on/off road bikes loaded with gear heading up the mountain to who knows where. Why do I always stop and stare and wish it were me doing that? I never owned an offroad bike until recently. I owned a Kawasaki 454LTD and a Kawasaki Vulcan 750 years ago. I was involved in 3 accidents on them. 1. Girl t-bones me after running a red light 2. Cat runs under my front wheel while in a turn 3. 5 mph crash in parking lot with truck breaks my leg. After that I felt that maybe motorcycles are not my thing. Since then I've given them up and convinced myself not to get another one. I've gotten married and have 2 beautiful girls (5 and 7) and one more on the way. I've had this itch for awhile now and broke down this summer and bought a Honda CT-70, which is a small on/off road bike for putting around the campground and trails. It will do up to 45mph, but just doesn't give the thrill that a real motorcycle should. Did I mention that I dumped that one too? Some guy this summer was traveling down the road toward me turns left directly in front of me at the very last minute. I slam on the brakes and avoided t-boning him only to go over the handlebars at the last minute. I'm thinking the size of the bike made it hard for him to see me coming. Anyway, am I crazy to even consider getting another bike? I'm 38 now and keep telling myself that I'll get one when I retire(hopefully at 55) when so many people are not dependent on me. But on the other hand, we only go around once and I may get hit by a bus next week. Arrrgh! What do I do? :mad0235:

·
Premium Member
1,793 Posts
Welcome fellow Norcal (potential) Rider.

Ummmm Where do I start...

First of all. MSF course!!!!

Second. Girls 5, and 7? Ride smart!!! Come home safe!

Third. Yes! KLR is the way to go.

If you look around your area, you have quite a bit of local support, ie, tech days, local rides etc...

Most people on this site WILL tell you that the KLR is one great bike for all of your(not too soon to be mid-life fun) needs! I say this at almost age 49.

Post up, ask questions, and Welcome

MB4

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I assume the MSF course is a motorcycle safety course? If so, I think I've learned more in real-life riding experience than anything I could learn in a course. I'm not a new or inexperienced rider. I've learned a lot from each encounter. 1. Look both ways before entering an intersection. You cannot trust that other drivers will be doing the right thing. 2. Don't try to avoid hitting small animals if they jump in your path. My big animal loving heart was not in my best interests on that one. 3. Some accidents are unavoidable and are we just have to accept that other bad drivers will endanger us. 4. See #3. I would be interested in taking an advanced riders course to further improve my riding skills and accident avoidance techniques. Please don't think of me as a bad motorcycle rider based on the number of accidents I've been subject to. I'm just unlucky I guess. I'll also never make the same mistakes again which will make me an even safer rider.

·
Registered
704 Posts
MSF = Motorcycle Safety Foundation. You'll learn a lot but best of all you'll unlearn some bad habits.

And I assure you, we all have plenty to learn and unlearn no matter how long we've been riding.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good tip! First I need to convince myself (and my wife) that buying a KLR is not crazy. Second I will check out the MSF courses.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts