Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New '09 KLR. Purpose:

I want to take adventure rides on and off the Blue Ridge Parkway and surrounding areas. Scenic rides, etc.

Exploration of dirt roads and easy trails. Maybe even an occasional weekend camping expedition.

I also would enjoy finding some "hidden" fishing spots. I just ordered a telescopic fishing rod.

Some geocaching and photography along the way.

I use my DroidX for a GPS Navigator and Google Earth-Maps-Latitude for monitoring my exact location.

This is what I'll be doing...with or without you. If this sounds like fun to you...let me know.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
400 mi. mark

Ok, recently passed the 400 mile mark. Time to take in for the 1st service. I have kept it under 4k rpm, by just puttering around country backroads. So far, so good. No issues that I'm aware of, although I worry about that "doohickey" issue. I don't hear anything unusual.

I have already paid for a lowering link and installation, so I am looking fwd to being able to reach the ground more easily.

I already changed the oil, so they don't need to do that. I just want them to install the lowering link and adjust the drive chain, and other general maintenance.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
I have a few telescoping rods. The ones I have suck. Way too whippy. I put my regular rod in a piece of PVC on the passenger footped. Just FYI. I've caught fish on the telescoping rods, too. :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Telescopic rod

Yeah, I just bought one too. Shakespear telescopic rod from Amazon. I think it is probably junk, but for $30, I thought I'd try it. It fits in a saddlebag easily. I like the idea of having it with me just in case I run into a fishing opportunity. Having a rod strapped to your seat (as below), only happens when it is your primary destination to go fishing.

I have ultralight 5' 6" rods that come apart into two ~equal lengths. I fold them together and strap down with small bungees along side the trunk bag / tackle box. They stick out the back of the bike for about a foot and a half or so, and that's ok. Works well, and I have a good reliable rig when I get to my fishing spots. Just not as stealthy as the telesopic rod.

So, the telescopic rod is just for serendipitous fishing opportunities. "Will do in a pinch" sort of mentality.

·
Administrator
8,357 Posts
...I have ultralight 5' 6" rods that come apart into two ~equal lengths. I fold them together and strap down with small bungees along side the trunk bag / tackle box....
The tip got snapped off of my favorite St. Croix doing that. 8^(

I thought I had it protected, but...

It was replaced that with a four piece Fenwick, but it just ain't the same.

T

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
fishin' rod

It's worth the risk to go fishing on the bike. Getting there is half the fun. Maybe more.

·
Administrator
8,357 Posts
Indeed, it is. I was riding a trail that I might have been better off walking.

At least I wouldn't have broke my dang rod...

T

·
Registered
35 Posts
There's lots of dirt to ride on in the Lexington/Rockbridge Co. area, not to mention trout streams. Come on across the mountain sometime.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I definitely will. Just got my 400 mi. checkup today. I'm ready to roll.

I have been anxiously awaiting the weather to cooperate so that I can begin exploring the mountains. I will be out and about tomorrow. Don't know where I'm going yet, but I'll be packing some fishing gear.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
The weather still sucks. Too cool to head up the BRP, so I think I will putter on down to Smith Mountain Lake as soon as the temp gets up to 60 (I figure around noon). It will be warmer down here in the lower elevations. I should be able to find a nice spot to cast a line out for a while.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Draley, I haven't forgotten you. I am simply waiting for my bike. The mounting bracket for my top Givi case was overlooked. So it was ordered Wednesday. I am hoping to get my bike tomorrow or Tuesday. There is quite a bit of stuff in Botetourt and Rockbridge. I have lived in both counties.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm new to the area, so I am just going out in any direction and exploring whatever seems interesting to me. Yesterday's trek was really fun, 'cause I found some dirt roads to explore up in the woods.

Could that seat be any more uncomfortable? My butt hurts! I miss my Goldwing's lounge chair.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts