Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Overstreet Creek Rd. to the Blue Ridge Pkwy

Fun ride thru the twisties from Forest to Big Island Hwy, to Overstreet Creek Rd. which is dirt/gravel and winds all the way up to the Blue Ridge Parkway. Nice water scenes the whole way up and some nice overlooks as well.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Overstreet Creek - Apple Orchard Falls

I am going to run up Overstreet Creek Rd (up the east side of the mtn) again today, up to the Blue Ridge Parkway, then cross over to Apple Orchard Mt., and down the west side of the the mountain.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Blue Ridge Parkway - KLR Crossing

Overstreet Creek Rd. dirt/gravel (guessing 4-5 miles) up to the parkway, 1-2 miles up the parkway to Apple Orchard Falls overlook...then ~10 miles down the other side on Forest Service rd. 812..to North Creek? Caught a couple of Brookies, then meandered home using pretty much the same route.

What a beautiful ride. The scenery is spectacular.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Lynchburg, Salem, Bedford

I know that "Efigalaxie" posted this elsewhere, but I want to add it also to this thread. I am using this Lynchburg thread so that local riders who may be searching...can easily find us.

He emailed me on Friday and so we decided to meet at Smith Mtn. Lake, which turned out to be almost exactly 35 miles for each of us coming from opposite directions.

After meeting, we ate lunch at "Chopsticks" and it started pouring down the rain as we ate. Luckily, the place had overhanging decking and they were kind enough to let us push our bikes up under, on the walkway. High and dry! ...er...just dry.

After the rain passed we rode to a trail he knew about...Boblett's Gap, which runs up to the Blue Ridge Parkway from hwy 460...on the west side of Bedford.

About halfway up there, the road got ugly...with washouts and mudholes...and lots of big loose rocks. Efigalaxie was leading the way so when he got stuck in a hole right away, I must admit that I got a little worried about taking my brand new bike up there.

Well, horsed that thing out of the hole...by himself...UPHILL! Hoss! That was most impressive.

Once we got going though, we plodded through without any other hitches. We discussed that it was just a matter of picking good lines and keeping the RPM's up a bit.

Great fun and great scenery.

I rode home via the BRP to Overstreet Creek to Hurricane Rd. - Forest, which is a great ride in itself.

Here are some shots taken along the way, Efigalaxie reprezentin'. :character00109:

.......AND THEN THERE WERE TWO! Ok now...we're making progress. We are going to form a "BRP Exploratory Committee". Join in!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Mtn. Riding History

Here is a couple of photos of me ~1983. I am on Dan's Mtn. near Cumberland, MD. I knew my way around this moutain area very well. The trails were not manicured gravel roads like these USFS trails around the BRP. The riding was difficult and very challenging at times. The development and improvement of riding skills to be able to handle tougher terrain is what made it fun.

This is me and my 1975 DT400 Yamaha. I loved this bike. Out of 8 bikes, this is the only one that I kept over 10 years.

1971? Yam DT 175. This pic was taken of me about 10 years earlier than the ones above. ~1973. Fish fear me, still.

Discovering the KLR has brought back this flood of great memories of kerplunking around up on the trails. I don't know why I never thought of it before. Cruisers and Touring Bikes seemed to be the way to go for men my age. I loved the other bikes, but I always missed going off-road.

I'm baaaack! Thank you Kawasaki KLR.

Now if Grampa can just not bust a hip...that'd be good.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Great pics. Thanks for sharing!!!!! My brother had all the dirt bikes. I have seen him do things on a bike that make my blood run cold. His best dirt bike was this amazing little 80cc Kawasaki that had had a lot of engine work done to it. I had a Samurai and we were going to the Boblets Gap trail. I was doing 70 in that zuki, but he passed me like I was sitting still. What I want to know is if that kind of power could be brought out of that little. 80cc engine in 1992, why do our 650cc engines only put out 38hp?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Good question. I am somewhat disappointed that the 650cc feels somewhat sluggish, not torquey like all my other dirt bikes. I had bikes that I had to lean over the handlebars to keep the front wheel down when hitting it hard out of the box.

My old DT400 wasn't a racer, but I could get the front wheel off the ground with little effort.

I even had a Yam RD350 (street bike) that I could wheelie with just a twist of the throttle.

The KLR seems to have no such inclination. Acceleration on the KLR is pretty mild. There is no doubt that it is a much slower bike than the RD350, but I would have expected it to be quicker than my old DT400. It is probably better on the open road, but I don't think it is as quick or nimble on the dirt..

·
Registered
522 Posts
That 80cc kawi was a 2 stroke. What about the ones you mentioned? Check out the diesel klr 650 that the marines use. 96mpg and will hold 90mph for extended periods of time.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Look! Great Pix in this Thread

To all of you surfin' the KLR forum, there are some really nice pix in here, if you scroll down through all of the posts.

I personally am going to try to keep adding to them in this thread because I am trying to raise interest with other riders in this area. Efigalaxie, TroutAngler, Draley, and a couple other tenatives, so far. I think we can find a few more interested parties...and we can really make it pay to have a dual-sport bike.

We are so fortunate to have the scenic Blue Ridge Parkway and the Nat'l Forests to play on.

I'd like to see a little regional group of riders get together here and we can plan some group outings. Riding, camping, fishing, photography, adventure rides, etc.

I have a Drift HD170 HelmetCam, so I want to record some scenic rides up and around the BRP.

If you get caught,
in my lens,
in a downward spiral,
You may be,
the lucky one,
when your video goes viral!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Plan to Ride 5/28 thru 6/5

NOTICE

I am planning to do a lot of spontaneous adventure riding (probably near the BRP ) from May 28th thru June 5. Weather permitting, I plan to be out there every day.

I am going to have that week off...so, I will be looking to do a lot of recreational riding during that time frame. (May 28 thru June 5).

Anyone interested in joining up, even for just a few hours, is welcome!

Peaks of Otter is probably the nearest BRP entry point for me, although I always take a trail route which comes out near Apple Orchard Falls. So, I will most likely be on or near the BRP somewhere between Salem and Buena Vista.

Email goes to my phone...so just email me.

[email protected]

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
NOTICE

I am planning to do a lot of spontaneous adventure riding (probably near the BRP ) from May 28th thru June 5. Weather permitting, I plan to be out there every day.

I am going to have that week off...so, I will be looking to do a lot of recreational riding during that time frame. (May 28 thru June 5).

Anyone interested in joining up, even for just a few hours, is welcome!

Peaks of Otter is probably the nearest BRP entry point for me, although I always take a trail route which comes out near Apple Orchard Falls. So, I will most likely be on or near the BRP somewhere between Salem and Buena Vista.

Email goes to my phone...so just email me.

[email protected]

Ok, the dates have changed for riding up on and around the BRP in central VA, to June 1 thru 5.
Probably will be somewhere between Roanoke and Buena Vista.

See previous post.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Maybe in July sometime I would like to head down the BRP. Might run into some of ya. Need to visit some friends in the Burg anyway, and hit Waterstone for a pizza.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I'm up for that.

Maybe in July sometime I would like to head down the BRP. Might run into some of ya. Need to visit some friends in the Burg anyway, and hit Waterstone for a pizza.
I am off work the week of July 4th. So I will definitely be around and ready to go anytime that week.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Riding BRP June 3 thru 5

I will be out there somewhere tomorrow June 2nd, and probably each day (weather permitting) thru June 5th. I am off this week and I have no formal plans, just going to explore the mountains. Most likely, I will be somewhere between Bedford and Buena Vista, on or around the BRP.

See my earlier posts with photos on this thread.

Email me if you wish to meet up somewhere.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
Recent KLR Pics from the BRP

VaTrader asked me to report back. Here are pics from last weekend and the last one is from today after riding up to Mt. Pleasant trailhead off the parkway at rt.60 to Coffeytown Rd. and hiking up to the summit. Caught in the intense thunderstorm on the way back down the parkway. Lucky enough to find the bridge under the parkway at Robinson's Gap...just in time. Waited the storm out under there...then beat it home to Lynchburg. Never got wet.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
No problem.

Sorry I haven't gotten back to you Dale. It has been a rough couple of weeks.
No problem. See ya when I see ya. I rode down Boblet's Gap again on June 3. I popped down off the pkwy there. Chatted with a couple of hikers on the AT crossing there, and then went on my way. Wasn't as muddy this time.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
Friday and Saturday pics.

Found a great atv trail that was challenging, but not dangerously so. Ran from Otter Creek area and came out on Robinson's Gap. Pleasantly surprised to find this tunnel that passes a stream (and the trail) under the parkway.

TroutAngler is the rider with the green KLR.

We met and were exploring the Pedlar Creek area on Friday.

21 - 40 of 83 Posts