Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

Lynchburg, Virginia - Area

18K views 82 replies 11 participants last post by  dustin31522 
#1 ·
New '09 KLR. Purpose:

I want to take adventure rides on and off the Blue Ridge Parkway and surrounding areas. Scenic rides, etc.

Exploration of dirt roads and easy trails. Maybe even an occasional weekend camping expedition.

I also would enjoy finding some "hidden" fishing spots. I just ordered a telescopic fishing rod.

Some geocaching and photography along the way.

I use my DroidX for a GPS Navigator and Google Earth-Maps-Latitude for monitoring my exact location.

This is what I'll be doing...with or without you. If this sounds like fun to you...let me know.

#4 ·
400 mi. mark

Ok, recently passed the 400 mile mark. Time to take in for the 1st service. I have kept it under 4k rpm, by just puttering around country backroads. So far, so good. No issues that I'm aware of, although I worry about that "doohickey" issue. I don't hear anything unusual.

I have already paid for a lowering link and installation, so I am looking fwd to being able to reach the ground more easily.

I already changed the oil, so they don't need to do that. I just want them to install the lowering link and adjust the drive chain, and other general maintenance.

#6 ·
I have a few telescoping rods. The ones I have suck. Way too whippy. I put my regular rod in a piece of PVC on the passenger footped. Just FYI. I've caught fish on the telescoping rods, too. :)

#7 ·
Telescopic rod

Yeah, I just bought one too. Shakespear telescopic rod from Amazon. I think it is probably junk, but for $30, I thought I'd try it. It fits in a saddlebag easily. I like the idea of having it with me just in case I run into a fishing opportunity. Having a rod strapped to your seat (as below), only happens when it is your primary destination to go fishing.

I have ultralight 5' 6" rods that come apart into two ~equal lengths. I fold them together and strap down with small bungees along side the trunk bag / tackle box. They stick out the back of the bike for about a foot and a half or so, and that's ok. Works well, and I have a good reliable rig when I get to my fishing spots. Just not as stealthy as the telesopic rod.

So, the telescopic rod is just for serendipitous fishing opportunities. "Will do in a pinch" sort of mentality.

#8 ·
...I have ultralight 5' 6" rods that come apart into two ~equal lengths. I fold them together and strap down with small bungees along side the trunk bag / tackle box....
The tip got snapped off of my favorite St. Croix doing that. 8^(

I thought I had it protected, but...

It was replaced that with a four piece Fenwick, but it just ain't the same.

T

#10 ·
Indeed, it is. I was riding a trail that I might have been better off walking.

At least I wouldn't have broke my dang rod...

T

#12 ·
I definitely will. Just got my 400 mi. checkup today. I'm ready to roll.

I have been anxiously awaiting the weather to cooperate so that I can begin exploring the mountains. I will be out and about tomorrow. Don't know where I'm going yet, but I'll be packing some fishing gear.

#13 · (Edited)
The weather still sucks. Too cool to head up the BRP, so I think I will putter on down to Smith Mountain Lake as soon as the temp gets up to 60 (I figure around noon). It will be warmer down here in the lower elevations. I should be able to find a nice spot to cast a line out for a while.

#16 ·
Draley, I haven't forgotten you. I am simply waiting for my bike. The mounting bracket for my top Givi case was overlooked. So it was ordered Wednesday. I am hoping to get my bike tomorrow or Tuesday. There is quite a bit of stuff in Botetourt and Rockbridge. I have lived in both counties.

#17 ·
I'm new to the area, so I am just going out in any direction and exploring whatever seems interesting to me. Yesterday's trek was really fun, 'cause I found some dirt roads to explore up in the woods.

Could that seat be any more uncomfortable? My butt hurts! I miss my Goldwing's lounge chair.

#24 ·
Blue Ridge Parkway - KLR Crossing

Overstreet Creek Rd. dirt/gravel (guessing 4-5 miles) up to the parkway, 1-2 miles up the parkway to Apple Orchard Falls overlook...then ~10 miles down the other side on Forest Service rd. 812..to North Creek? Caught a couple of Brookies, then meandered home using pretty much the same route.

What a beautiful ride. The scenery is spectacular.

#25 · (Edited)
Lynchburg, Salem, Bedford

I know that "Efigalaxie" posted this elsewhere, but I want to add it also to this thread. I am using this Lynchburg thread so that local riders who may be searching...can easily find us.

He emailed me on Friday and so we decided to meet at Smith Mtn. Lake, which turned out to be almost exactly 35 miles for each of us coming from opposite directions.

After meeting, we ate lunch at "Chopsticks" and it started pouring down the rain as we ate. Luckily, the place had overhanging decking and they were kind enough to let us push our bikes up under, on the walkway. High and dry! ...er...just dry.

After the rain passed we rode to a trail he knew about...Boblett's Gap, which runs up to the Blue Ridge Parkway from hwy 460...on the west side of Bedford.

About halfway up there, the road got ugly...with washouts and mudholes...and lots of big loose rocks. Efigalaxie was leading the way so when he got stuck in a hole right away, I must admit that I got a little worried about taking my brand new bike up there.

Well, horsed that thing out of the hole...by himself...UPHILL! Hoss! That was most impressive.

Once we got going though, we plodded through without any other hitches. We discussed that it was just a matter of picking good lines and keeping the RPM's up a bit.

Great fun and great scenery.

I rode home via the BRP to Overstreet Creek to Hurricane Rd. - Forest, which is a great ride in itself.

Here are some shots taken along the way, Efigalaxie reprezentin'. :character00109:

.......AND THEN THERE WERE TWO! Ok now...we're making progress. We are going to form a "BRP Exploratory Committee". Join in!

#26 ·
Mtn. Riding History

Here is a couple of photos of me ~1983. I am on Dan's Mtn. near Cumberland, MD. I knew my way around this moutain area very well. The trails were not manicured gravel roads like these USFS trails around the BRP. The riding was difficult and very challenging at times. The development and improvement of riding skills to be able to handle tougher terrain is what made it fun.

This is me and my 1975 DT400 Yamaha. I loved this bike. Out of 8 bikes, this is the only one that I kept over 10 years.

1971? Yam DT 175. This pic was taken of me about 10 years earlier than the ones above. ~1973. Fish fear me, still.

Discovering the KLR has brought back this flood of great memories of kerplunking around up on the trails. I don't know why I never thought of it before. Cruisers and Touring Bikes seemed to be the way to go for men my age. I loved the other bikes, but I always missed going off-road.

I'm baaaack! Thank you Kawasaki KLR.

Now if Grampa can just not bust a hip...that'd be good.

#27 ·
Great pics. Thanks for sharing!!!!! My brother had all the dirt bikes. I have seen him do things on a bike that make my blood run cold. His best dirt bike was this amazing little 80cc Kawasaki that had had a lot of engine work done to it. I had a Samurai and we were going to the Boblets Gap trail. I was doing 70 in that zuki, but he passed me like I was sitting still. What I want to know is if that kind of power could be brought out of that little. 80cc engine in 1992, why do our 650cc engines only put out 38hp?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.