Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

81 - 100 of 136 Posts

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
I have the latest one for sale. I just reupholstered the seat. Just need to bleed the brakes. I have a Marine Corps Veteran that wants it. If he changes his mind I’ll let you know. The next one I do will more then likely be tan. You can give me a call on Saturday. I’ll send you my number via PM.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
I am about finished with the latest bike (bike #3). This will be the fifth bike, as I don't count my buddies or mine. This was the most extensive and expensive rebuild so far. I am currently in the midst of changing the engine hardware out to stainless. I also changed the engine head case. I just got the seat reupholstered, got the front IR light on, Installed the new front fender goggle bag (reproduced from the old original one), and bled the brakes. I just need to fight out 4 more bolts and swap them over to stainless and then it will be for sale.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
I am going to sell the latest restoration bike in the next week or so. I just need a day when the weather is good to get some good pictures. I went on riding with buddy yesterday in New Mexico to celebrate the Marine Corps birthday. I took out my USMC M1030B1 and had an awesome time.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,839 Posts
Glad that you had a great ride. Why didn't you 'test ride' the just completed bike?

And Thank You for Your Service!

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Glad that you had a great ride. Why didn't you 'test ride' the just completed bike?

And Thank You for Your Service!
I have been riding it around town. To be "legal" it needs the license plate mounted and I didn't want to drill into the fender in case the new owner wants it to be perfect.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Finally finished the latest Marine Corps M1030B1 restoration. It’s in better condition then when it was new! Both of the IR lights work as well. I just have to wash it and clean the tank off. I personally ditch the turn signals and mirrors. The next owner can figure it out.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Just picked the next bike to restore. I’m calling this “Bike 4”. I don't count mine and my buddies that I’ve already completed. I found the easiest way is to see if the engine will attempt to crank and then go from there. I just replaced the drain plug with a magnetic low pro one from Eagle Mike, put in new oil, put in a new Deka sealed battery, replaced the fuses and then jumped the battery straight to the starter. I also found out Tiny Pic is shutting down. All of my pictures are hosted there so I’m not sure if they will disappear or not. Either way this one is in rough shape.

Attachments

·
Administrator
8,370 Posts
The military thing is not my cup of tea, but I will say you do a nice job on them!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Johnnny13,

I completely agree with Tom. What you are doing is pretty awesome, and the guy in me really thinks the idea of a diesel KLR is cool, but the regular KLRs are already a dog, and the diesel version is far worse. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy my 2005 and just did the 685 kit, so I am liking the additional responsiveness.

Keep up the great work and, most importantly, have fun.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
So I started the tear down of “Bike 4” (really the 6th one) and it went as well as expected. Everything was a pain in the ass and nothing worked! I’ll paint it tan like mine (correct for the 03 Iraqi invasion). It’s a bit cold here so I’ll have to take it to a buddy’s house for cleaning and paint. Then the tedious process of mechanical and cosmetic restoration begins. All of the gas tanks I currently have are more of a green tint so I think I will monsterline / linex this to match the tan paint. I also took mine out to Grants, New Mexico last weekend and had to battle some giant rocks on the way up the mountain pass in Zunni Canyon. That specific trail is not big bike friendly!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
I got the bike torn down as far as it will go. I busted the tires off by hand. The last person that changed the tires forgot to add the rim strip and left a few pieces of the old one in there. I then began the tedious process of starting paint. First I sanded down the parts that needed it, used rust reformer, put down 2 coats of blank or grey CARC zinc primer, 2 coats of CARC flat black or tan, and then used 2 coats of flat black high heat paint for the exhaust parts. I also got some marine grade vinyl to recover the seat. I also looked over one of the two bikes I have left that I haven’t restored and found a inventory tag. I’ve found a few of these on the bikes. This UIC code is from Headquarters Company, 6th Marine Regiment, 2nd Marine Division. I’ve already ordered a good amount of parts. I should have the parts need to start reassembly and hopefully this upcoming week I will have a rolling frame.

Attachments

·
Administrator
8,370 Posts
Looking good, but what happened to Oregon?

·
Administrator
8,370 Posts
Ah! Makes sense.

Bliss?

81 - 100 of 136 Posts