Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

141 - 149 of 149 Posts

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
Johnnny13 and mnjim: I live in Kalama, WA, pretty close to you guys. There’s a guy in Aloha (near Beaverton) who parts out and sells whole KLRs. Advertises a lot on Portland CL. He has two USMC KLRs and might have other parts for them. His name is Bob, phone is (559) 281-5338.
I really appreciate it. I just sent him a text.

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
I busted the tires by hand. Apparently, this bike was ridden without a rear spacer at some point (sprocket side). You can see where the sprocket carrier was scraped away. I plan on replacing all 5 wheel bearings, front & rear sprocket, rear sprocket carrier, and front & rear disc.
1.jpg

3.jpg
2.jpg

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
Made some good progress. I replaced all the swing arm and suspension linkage bearings and sleeves, the 4 wheel bearings, sprocket carrier bearing, and the speedo grease seal. I also had to rebend the “ears”. Just for the wheels: new front / rear disks, new front and rear disk bolts, new sprocket carrier (old one got ground up from someone riding without a spacer), new sprocket, new sprocket nuts, new tires, new heavy duty inner tubes, new rim strips, and replaced two missing spacers. For the forks, new fork seals and 15 wt bel-ray fork oil. It came with progressive fork springs. I also installed a new chain slide, new upper and lower steering stem bearings, and Eagle Mike raising links. Just waiting on getting the air box done so I can get this frame into a rolling chassis. I also threw in the Eagle Mike subframe upgrade bolts.

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
Started getting the bike into a rolling chassis. I’m using a used Progressive 465 shock I got off a forum member. These bikes originally came with a upgraded Progressive 420 shock but this one is trashed and not rebuildable. Other than that, the only other new stuff that wasn't mentioned in the post prior is new OEM for boots and Eagle Mike 1.5” handlebar risers. I’m missing the two spacers on the lower shock mount. Progressive is mailing them out but it’s going to take a bit. Once that comes in I can get the swing arm and rear wheel mounted. I finally finished cleaning and painting the air box so I’ll get that in tomorrow.
1.jpeg

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
I went ahead and installed the heat shields back onto the muffler. I cleaned and painted it with VHT high temp flat black paint. I put in a new header to muffler gasket, new heat shield hardware, and a new header to muffler clamp. I also put in a new OEM ignition. The Marines epoxied the key in. Probably a good idea so it doesn't get lost in the first five seconds. I also installed a JNS engineering kickstand foot pad.
1.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Started getting the bike into a rolling chassis. I’m using a used Progressive 465 shock I got off a forum member. These bikes originally came with a upgraded Progressive 420 shock but this one is trashed and not rebuildable. Other than that, the only other new stuff that wasn't mentioned in the post prior is new OEM for boots and Eagle Mike 1.5” handlebar risers. I’m missing the two spacers on the lower shock mount. Progressive is mailing them out but it’s going to take a bit. Once that comes in I can get the swing arm and rear wheel mounted. I finally finished cleaning and painting the air box so I’ll get that in tomorrow.
View attachment 27216
Don't hold your breath for parts to arrive from Progressive. I ordered the same lower spacers and also the bushings for the top mount, bushings according to them will take 14 weeks to deliver!

·
Premium Member
3,238 Posts
Don't hold your breath for parts to arrive from Progressive. I ordered the same lower spacers and also the bushings for the top mount, bushings according to them will take 14 weeks to deliver!
Wow; thier customer service stories are starting to become legendary!

To the OP; nice work (y)

Dave

141 - 149 of 149 Posts