Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I must have read this in Clymer about magnetic drain plugs. Are these recommended, and if so, where do I get one? I'm thinking that they may have most benefit as a warning indicator of engine damage or abnormal wear rate.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Yeah, they're a good idea for the reasons you stated. They vary in quality though...anyone know where to get the best and cheapest?

·
Registered
165 Posts
I bought one of the magnetic plugs from--I believe--Whitehorse Press. My drips about ten drops of oil after being ridden. I assume the difference in cooling rates of the cases and the plug account for this. Not a big deal --especially if you're used to riding an old BMW...
Mac

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
I bought one of the magnetic plugs from--I believe--Whitehorse Press. My drips about ten drops of oil after being ridden. I assume the difference in cooling rates of the cases and the plug account for this. Not a big deal --especially if you're used to riding an old BMW...
Mac
With a crush washer?

Mine seeped a little for a few weeks, not nearly that much and I put a little teflon plumbers tape (rated for high temp) around the threads thanks to some advice on this forum. Works perfect.

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
O ring seal. Not dependent on torque as a crush washer that you may strip threads on the pan trying to get it to stop leaking.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Just changed oil the other day and there was a fair amount of crap adhered to my magnetic plug. It was grey-ish. Hmmmm, should I worry??

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Just changed oil the other day and there was a fair amount of crap adhered to my magnetic plug. It was grey-ish. Hmmmm, should I worry??
I always find a little of what you describe. Maybe clutch plate material, don't know. I wouldn't be concerned unless you find shavings or chunks.

·
Administrator
8,482 Posts
Something that needs to emphasized-

Never over-torque the drain plug. If you're using a crush washer and it leaks, either live with it or refresh the crush washer. Resist the temptation to tweak it a bit more to see if it stops leaking.

The drain plug is easy to strip and, once stripped, is a Very Bad Thing (tm).

Tom

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Something that needs to emphasized-

Never over-torque the drain plug. If you're using a crush washer and it leaks, either live with it or refresh the crush washer. Resist the temptation to tweak it a bit more to see if it stops leaking.

The drain plug is easy to strip and, once stripped, is a Very Bad Thing (tm).

Tom
Hear, hear. Since I did strip my drain plug. Tapped it out and all is well with a little teflon tape. The teflon tape is dope. I just barely snug it and never a drop.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts