Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
AutoZone used to carry them, had a lifetime warranty...I had one replaced about 15 years ago. Top is already mushroomed a bit!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I need to give mine a test. Let's see, torque down that oil drain plug real good and then I can segue into repairing stripped threads and a cracked case... Seriously, I notice it'll work in either direction. For left-handed threads? I can't really see using it to torque something down but what do I know. TC

·
Premium Member
7,752 Posts
When reassembling the main engine cases of non-gasketed center seams with phillips/JIS screws, I use/used the hammer drive impact in cross X pattern twice on every screw. Just a medium wack with a medium small hammer.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I hadn't thought about it like that. Fairly uniform whacks would yield fairly consistent torque when an absolute value isn't required.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I've had my impact driver since the early 70's!!. Used it all the time. Didn't know about JIS screwdrivers until a few years ago. Now my impact drive just sits in my tool box taking up space. If I need an impact driver, I just grab my 3/8 drive air impact.

If you don't have a set of JIS screw drivers, get them. They will seem pretty magical the first time you use them. To identify if you have a JIS screw, look for a dot or dimple on the screw head.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Can you still get JIS bits? I haven't looked. I know impact rated bits/sockets are necessary for air tools. Anyone used standard for these manual drivers? TC

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
Can you still get JIS bits? I haven't looked. I know impact rated bits/sockets are necessary for air tools. Anyone used standard for these manual drivers? TC
JIS bits available; Google is your friend!

SAE bits on JIS screw heads? It's been done, but . . . not without some peril (of buggering screw heads).

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Google. What's that? Yeah, I realized after posting that a search would've been fewer keystrokes. What's the fun in that? Thx. TC

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
It seems to be ubiquitous to people of a certain age.... I've heard it referred to as "sometimers". I'm there too. TC

·
Premium Member
2014.5 KLR650
73 Posts
OK ... I admit it ... I've got one ... also bought 'way back when' ...
Before they invented cordless impact tools

·
Administrator
8,814 Posts
I'm tempted to go out in the shop and climb up to look in the box of car-specific tools that I don't use anymore except when Good Neighbor Ray needs to borrow the dwell/tach or timing light to work on his '63 Sprint.

The only thing stopping me is the certain knowledge that I'd get out there and not remember why I wanted to be there.

Reactions: DPelletier

·
Premium Member
7,752 Posts
I have removed a counter sprocket nut from the transmission shaft with 3/8th drive, hammer driven impact tool that a 1/2 inch drive air impact wrench would not budge!
I will say that I was kinda' afraid that I might break the RH Main engine case.

WARNING, DO NOT do this kind of removal with the transmission IN any Gear!
Insert a screw driver or other tool between the drive chain & rear sprocket and rotate the wheel in the proper direction to JAM the rotation.

I had an 18" cresent wrench on the square body of the Snap-On hammer driven Impact tool while hammering on the tool and the sprocket nut Had Been Heated with an OXY/ACET torch!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yup, got mine in 1972, and it's still out in the toolbox in the garage. Gets used every couple of years, more or less. Keeps on paying for itself.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I've had one or more of those since 1972. In the old days I didn't know about JIS drivers, and my 1966 had screws made of lightly compressed oatmeal. I didn't speak metric then either. First set of metric tools from Pep Boys. Dad and I used them to work on the Volvos we had. I remember White Front, Yellow Front (or was it Yellow Mart?) Fed Mart, Uni Mart, etc........ Now all taken over by WalMart or Amazon. Back in the old days some of the guys at the dealer parts counter actually knew tech stuff.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts