Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I`m new here but my bike is nowhere new :D
Anyway I have an 87` 650, that I bought this year. I rode it for a few months, but it had some issues starting when cold. It got worse as time vent on....I thought it needed valves adjusted. Anyway, opening the top end revealed that the decompresor spring came undone/broke, which is why it wouldn`t start nice. But also, there was a mysterius bit of metal floating around the chamber. He then identified to be a intake camshaft plug that came undone...??? How the cam remained unharmed is beyond me, and who knows how long it`s been like that. It seems that the item cannot be purchased on it`s own, and as I investigated further it seem that it`s because each one was fitted to the exact camshaft it came on, not an interchangable item. Mechanic said that the will run without it, but the cam bearing won`t have as good lubrication. Anyway, now my plan is to source a wrecked bike, and buy a whole engine, but in the meantime ride mine as is, with a new decompresor spring ofcorse.
Anybody else had that happen to them?
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim Automotive exterior

·
Premium Member
9,249 Posts
There is a slight possibility that the Crankshaft bottom Rod Pin soft plugs may be the same size as the Intake camshaft soft plug.
Seen here, 1987 Kawasaki KLR650 (KL650-A1) Crankshaft | Babbitts Kawasaki Partshouse

#92066-1154

I have suggest it recently to someone else, either on this forum or on FB. But have not had any confirmation back.
How do GOOD do your Exhaust camshaft bearings LOOK, due to reduced oil supply?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yes that plug works, I know because you suggested it to me! I have since sold my KLR but as far as I know that plug fixed the issue. My KACR was also beginning to dislodge itself so I pressed that into the cam during the same time.

·
Registered
75 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,249 Posts
My KACR was also beginning to dislodge itself so I pressed that into the cam during the same time.
I thought I remember that the KACR's are welded to the Exhaust cams? Am I forgetting details? Hummmm?
Or are some of them accidentally left un-welded by the factory? Hummmm?

There is so very little oil pressure up there with the oem oil pipe banjo bolts, so it is a mystery as to why/how the occasional intake camshaft soft plug comes adrift.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I thought I remember that the KACR's are welded to the Exhaust cams? Am I forgetting details? Hummmm?
Or are some of them accidentally left un-welded by the factory? Hummmm?

There is so very little oil pressure up there with the oem oil pipe banjo bolts, so it is a mystery as to why/how the occasional intake camshaft soft plug comes adrift.
I don't know why the plugs would come loose, but I can tell you my KACR was definitely not welded at any point. I'll blame it on poor assembly practices...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry for the late reply, but guys you rock!!! Thank you so much for this info! Parts are ordered and now the wait begins until we can put it back together again and be riding it after almost 2 months.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts