·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Klr650 2009 with 1300km

Max speed 140-145 km/h:character00201:
Max RPM 6300-6500:ashamed0005:

My friend have Yamaha XT350 1994 stock Max speed 140km/h
So klr650 09 and xt350 94 = same max speed :mad0235: :character00271: :ashamed0001:

·
Registered
272 Posts
Wow, that is slow. lol, just kidding, not. mine has seen the proud side of a hundred mph
Questions:
Do you have a large windscreen? What about large panniers? Are you large? Extra aero drag?
Have you removed the airbox noise suppressor snorkel thing?
Stock gearing?

·
Registered
33 Posts
i have large windscreen and KLR stock bags and I'm 5-10 and 220lbs and the bike is all stock except the tall window, I know the bike would hit a 100 easy but I dont like pushing it like that, I like riding the bike fire roads where there is no cars lol

·
Banned
44 Posts
Mines been up to 97mph according to the GPS, just last weekend. Windsheild off, $.22 mod, L mod, tweet removed and stock sprockets. It was 90+ degrees out and very high humidity too. Don't know if it makes a difference to the KLR though but I can tell the humidity saps some power from the diesel truck. It's been over 100mph before the GPS:50a:.

·
Registered
507 Posts
95 on the speedo, I use a GPS but it was not on. I could have done more but 90+ got it done. I had a butt head trying to beat me up in a two lanes merging into one here in Wasilla. I don't usually take people and their aggressive driving get to me but that day I was 25 years old again and wasn't in the mood to take Poop. I drive like a 55 year old who does not want to get any tickets and people push me around all the time. This time I showed the butt munch that the KLR is not slow.

The panniers were not mounted and I have a 16 T front with the air box mod and a K&N filter. Other than that it's stock with 12K

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
That being said, I think I can hit just shy of 100 according to the speedo...which probably means 95 or so. There are lots of things I love about the KLR. Top speed is pretty meaningless to me. I don't like going that fast anyway. Had to try it, but 80 is cool with me. :16a:

·
Registered
507 Posts
Hi guys,

With the 16T counter sprocket I cruise at 70 with ease so the one time burst of speed did no harm. I would imagine that if I went to a 43T rear I could cruise at 80+ with out much more strain than a stock ride at 60 mph.

No, I didn't buy the wrong bike but some days I think I shouldn't have that second tube of glue before I shop.

Ard

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Dude...glue is nothing. Try huffing loctite. ;)

(disclaimer - if you are new here and not very bright, please don't huff loctite. i don't know what it would do, but I doubt it would be good.) :18:

·
Registered
33 Posts
I agree with Wanderer, I like riding slow on the back roads and a little in the woods, love this bike, and I don't like to push it to those speeds

·
Registered
507 Posts
Jed,

I drive slow almost always, the incident I referred to was a one time thing. However it is good to know the full capabilities of whatever you drive. One of the first things I do with a new vehicle is take it to 45 mph or so and then jam on the breaks!! Yeah JAM them on, it is good to know what your bike or car / truck is going to do when the day comes that you really need to do this. I've found numerous problems by doing this ie one wheel out of four locking up while the others just drag along. With my bikes some have had really bad diving tendencies, others actually pulled right or left (tracking problems) at any rate I don't feel that knowing the potential top end or for the sake of conversation the emergency stopping distance of whatever you drive or ride is a bad thing.

I hope that clears my name from any 'crazy person' list, I was just joining in the conversation.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I think my remark was taken way out of context here! I didn't say anything about speeding being wrong or right or anything along that lines and I wasn't just referring to what Hardyreels said about 90+ or what any one person said. I was just talking about this thread in general and that spending a lot of time above 90 on a KLR would make it seem the wrong bike was purchased, that's all I'm saying. To each his own, ride the KLR flat out all day if anyone likes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think my remark was taken way out of context here! I didn't say anything about speeding being wrong or right or anything along that lines and I wasn't just referring to what Hardyreels said about 90+ or what any one person said. I was just talking about this thread in general and that spending a lot of time above 90 on a KLR would make it seem the wrong bike was purchased, that's all I'm saying. To each his own, ride the KLR flat out all day if anyone likes.
I didn't post that thread because i drive my bike at max speed all the time!!!!
I have brend new bike and i wanted to know the RPM at the max speed and i was surprised to see 6500 ( i have place for 1000 more ) revolution by minute. I think the motor of the klr650 asleep.
That my opinion.

·
Premium Member
1,585 Posts
Just saw this thread.....and I'm working on it, tic66.
There's a restrictor tab that prevents the throttle from
opening completely. I bent it outta the way and the bike
ran terribly at WOT. 7/8 throttle and it ran in the 90's.
As soon as I get the main jet correct for fully open
I'll be doing a thread on it. Going to the shop today
for that very reason.

The last two HD's I owned although two cylinder engines,
had the CV40 carb. Each cylinder takes as much air every
breath as our KLR's. If necessary I'll run a takeoff carb
from a Harley. One way or another I'll get this flow thing
figured out.

We have a 140 or 142.5 main or something like that (don't have
my SM in front of me.) the 1200cc Sporsters and 1340cc EVO's
both ran a 160 main. My twin cam 1450 used a 190.
I'm picking up a 150 and 160, plus working on eliminating
the air injection system in the head/ valve cover.

More to come............

CheapMark

·
Registered
5 Posts
08 with 15000+Km, has gone over 165kmh (100MpH+) :animal0019: measured by GPS, still had some pull, just the frame did not feel right :29: . It ain't a SSB.
.22c, 16t, snorkel, Doo'Hickey, Forkbrace.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Most the speedo's on the KLR's are very generous. When mine says 80 MPH my GPS indicates 73. I am guessing if I ever got to a indicated 100 MPH I would actually be doing about 90. Maybe less. Maybe mine is off more than most.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts