Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am 320lbs 6'4 and am riding my 2008 with a Bridgestone Trail wing 130/80/17 on the rear. I am riding it at max tire pressure which is 41psi. the middle of my tire is going bald is this normal? I don't do any offroad stuff now just city and highway. I just ordered a kenda 761. so my question is being over weight and doing ashalt what should my pressure be...Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,482 Posts
Personally, being roughly the same size/weight as you, I wouldn't worry about keeping max psi on your tires just because of your own weight. All you're going to do is wear them out quicker and decrease the size of your contact patch with a tire that's maxed out with air.

All tires have different max pressure, of course, so my rule of thumb is to start out about 5 pounds or so below that, ride it for awhile, then drop it another 2 psi or so and ride it some more.

Just as an example, I use Shinko 244 tires both front and rear. Max pressure for the rear is 33psi and for the front it's 40psi. I ride both highway and a lot of gravel roads and regardless of the max pressure, I run both my tires at an equal 28psi. I like the front tire to be a little softer for riding on gravel, but at that pressure it still does just fine cornering on pavement.

Looks like the max on a rear Kenda 761 is 32 psi. Were I running that tire for the first time, I would probably start at around 28 psi, ride it for awhile then drop it another 2 psi for a comparison. That's just me, though.

Any discussion of tire pressures on any vehicle invariably reminds me of this classic:

http://batcountryword.tumblr.com/post/36216169945/the-coupe-de-ville-is-not-your-ideal-machine-for

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I could be wrong but I think tires wear quicker on low psi vs high psi. Lower psi give more grip though. If I were to guess your thought is to run higher psi to try and counter your extra weight, correct? That seems like a good thought to me. I would probably lower to 35 or so though. Running asphalt the temps will increase and cause the tires to inflate. Most all MC tires go bald in the center first, unless your corner as much as you go in a straight line.
I only run up in the 30's if I only plan to run asphalt. Most of the time I'm in the low 20's. Upper teens if I'm doing mostly all gravel.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well I lowered the front from 39 to 30 and the rear from 41 to 32. Its not nearly ass rough a ride. lol I think I will raise the back up to 35 though. It ;looks like in the manual if your over 200lbs the rear should be 28-seems kinda low to me but what do I know...Thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had my ups driver who rides look at my tires and he said I'm using about 1 1/2 inch of tire in the center .

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I had my ups driver who rides look at my tires and he said I'm using about 1 1/2 inch of tire in the center .
That doesn't mean anything. Its all relative.

This doesn't have anything to do with tires but since you're tall and heavy you're bike (and you) would really benefit from beefing up your suspension.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The suspension has been upgraded. I've settled on 35 for rear and 30 for front .Much smoother ride and I turn better. Thanks all

1 - 12 of 12 Posts