Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, everyone,

Chris here. I am not yet a KLR rider but am researching through your experiences and expertise to see if: a) I want a KLR or other similar ride b) want a New one or a new-ish one c) if the KLR is all the bike I want/need.

I am in Salt Lake City, and as some of you know we are surrounded by amazing hills and trails. I run these trails and hills on foot, that's my passion, but sometimes I need to go faster or farther... and would like to take the supplies to stay overnight.

I am a Yamaha FJR 1300 driver, and I love what she does for me, but I need to get back to the occasional/often trail riding/adventuring that my big lady can't quite attempt. I believe the KLR is the perfect stablemate for her, and will help an "old man" revive his old motocross spirit. I absolutely love to roadtour on my Feejer, and fortunately my wife love to ride with me, but I need to push some dirt around, again.

The local dealers say next month they will have the 09s. I'll check around between now and then, ride what I can, and check around here for info.

Chris

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Welcome aboard Chris, Ask as many questions as you can think of and we'll try to do our best to answer them. Obviously if you can find someone or a dealer that will let you ride one, that is always going to be the best route to determine if the bike will suit your needs, or be too heavy for what you have in mind. The KLR does very little well, but does everything good enough. They don't call it a PIG for nothing, it is heavy, but if you have motorcycle experience the weight may not be a factor for you. Good luck in your research. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hey, DXKLR,

Weight is not an issue, trust me, I ride a 700lb fjr PLUS me, my wife, and sidecases/tailbag filled... so we are talking 1000lbs +/- and I love it. I know weight on dirt is different, that is why I want to get back in it. Variety is the spice...

I have a feeling this "little KLR" will feel like a fast breeze!

My local dealer has no problem with me riding one... if they ever get one! Seems the 09s are months away despite Kawi's notice to dealers. Someone here (SLC) will possibly pony up for a test ride before then.

I'm in no rush.

Thanks
C

1 - 3 of 3 Posts