Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

101 - 120 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
5,974 Posts
Well, the MCP kit claims reduced oil consumption, and simultaneous increased power and fuel economy, decided advantages over a correctly tuned KLX needle-and-jet, as well as over a stock carburetor.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I can't venture an opinion on those claims, however I can confirm the improvement to acceleration and mid range power delivery. My bike runs out of puff in first, but pulls cleanly through to redline in second and third. I have no idea what it's top speed would be, certainly in the explain yourself to the constabulary range🤣

·
Premium Member
8,462 Posts
Why does or how can Kawasaki of Australia justify having more high performance street bike models in their line up than KMC USA if the constabulary is that thick & that strict?

And the USA has about 10 times more population.

I'm only guessing that each of our countries have about the same percentage of 'Motorcyclists' with-in their population.

I have no idea what it's top speed would be, certainly in the explain yourself to the constabulary range🤣
I've been known to run an indicated 90-95mph on some parts of the deserted gravel roads that criss-cross Wyoming USA and 100-105mph on deserted stretches of asphalt.

·
Registered
5,974 Posts
Once I pulled my carby out it became evident that it had been previously tampered with, the idle mix screw cover was gone and the float level was mal-adjusted, (what I missed at this point was that the main jet had been changed to something much larger andnot numbered correctly) once this was sorted out, and explaination for the huge improvement seen on the second dyno run was evident, the bike was running rich from the out set.
-------------------------
I can confirm the improvement to acceleration and mid range power delivery.
Credit MCP, by all means, if you like. Yet, the previous corrections and adjustments you mention may have contributed, at least marginally, to the performance improvement, IMHO.

That said, MCP may have built, "the better mousetrap," discovering optimum needle profile; a configuration escaping competent tuners over the 31 years of KLR production. Perhaps MCP will offer enhancements for the fuel-injection systems of future KLRs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just going to put this out there (and risk the ridicule) since I did the mods to my bike, of which the MCP Carburettor Correction Kit was one, I've not been making false gear changes into 6th any where near as often...the venerable KLR650 is a great bike, I hope you all enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine😁 Regards to all

·
Registered
596 Posts
I've been known to run an indicated 90-95mph on some parts of the deserted gravel roads that criss-cross Wyoming USA and 100-105mph on deserted stretches of asphalt.
WOW---105 mph! You must have one of those high-performance MCP jet needles installed in your carbatooter! :)

Jason

·
Registered
128 Posts
Thousands of kits out there now, including MANY MANY MANY members from this group who don't speak up for fear of reprisal, harassment and beratement from you select few who just WON'T GET OVER YOURSELVES.

On that note I commend brave people like Ben who obviously don't give shit what those "select special few" say (you know who you are)

I thought this group had a harassment policy, i guess it only applies if a person never mentions MCP

To those "special folks" - Please continue to keep the juvenile attitudes going, at this point any exposure is exposure to me, thank you for helping MCP have a banner year, surpassing ALL of last years sales by the end of march this year.

Rest assured there are a large portion of people IN thiS group who are enjoying all the benefits MCP provides all the while rolling their eyes at the juvenile short sighted remarks by those who think they know what they are talking about.

rofl

·
Registered
2002 KLR650
142 Posts
Thousands of kits out there now, including MANY MANY MANY members from this group who don't speak up for fear of reprisal, harassment and beratement from you select few who just WON'T GET OVER YOURSELVES.

On that note I commend brave people like Ben who obviously don't give shit what those "select special few" say (you know who you are)

I thought this group had a harassment policy, i guess it only applies if a person never mentions MCP

To those "special folks" - Please continue to keep the juvenile attitudes going, at this point any exposure is exposure to me, thank you for helping MCP have a banner year, surpassing ALL of last years sales by the end of march this year.

Rest assured there are a large portion of people IN thiS group who are enjoying all the benefits MCP provides all the while rolling their eyes at the juvenile short sighted remarks by those who think they know what they are talking about.

rofl
I’ve been reading for the last two hours on this site and a good bit of that was through jetting posts and the MCP posts I could find. This recent post above was the only “poke” joke I saw.

This is a forum with some very experienced mechanics and klr specific techs. This one going into detailed home experiments to provide us results, as a HOBBY and information for the group, for free!

Pete’s results

As with MCP related posts there was that certain “touch” or feeling you get when you’re reading a, too-good-to-be-true advertisement. Lots of talk and explanations but no PROOF.

If anything, I’ve only noticed a criticism toward the marketing and claims of the product. Which is one reason some of us, me included, rely on this site. Evidence based advice. I can TRUST what Paul, Tom, Damocles, PeteK, Schlim, DPelletier, etc, say.

If you don’t like the criticism, don’t share your product. If you want to stand up for your product or business, provide results. Not a spur of the moment, emotion filled forum post about “special” people on here.

I don’t see how the pot calling the kettle black helps validate anything other than your emotions got the best of you.

I highly doubt there are folks scared to post on this forum and equally that any clear thinking person on here will take a post finished with, “rofl”, seriously.

·
Registered
2002 KLR650
142 Posts
This forum is a highly positive and welcoming one. It’s helped many many people for years to find information, get help from experts like Paul who have been working on klr daily for decades, to save lots of money doing their own repairs, build confidence in fixing their own machine and a connection with their machines and themselves (I’m reminded of a book, zen and the art of motorcycle maintence?), and a great sense of community. Which is missing from most of the internet. If you, as a business owner operator can’t see the value in that for your product and had done your research of your product and the forum before hand...

I commend your bravery and skill in machining and developing a product. Keep at it, please! But perhaps find a new approach.

I’m a little peeved at the newer members who have posted on this forum the last couple of weeks seemingly just to share their anger and frustrations at others and the site.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Thanks for the civilized reply Thumper

Most of my posts and threads from the past were either deleted by myself or tom. None of the people you mentioned have tried MCP except one, who i will let speak up for himself and not draw him into this thread. So if you're looking for evidence based fact you're not going to get it from any of these folks but one, who publicly posted in here that he preferred MCP which immediately sparked hundreds of kits being sold.

In the past i "thought out loud", and on some of those things i was wrong which i admitted, most of which i was right. I admitted when i was wrong or said "in theory". The people that continue to repeat these things do not mention that part so they can devalue the information and demean me and my claims.

As far as the experienced mechanics comments, yes there are, but that doesn't mean that something has been overlooked for 30+ years the bike has been around. I've learned lots from this site myself, none of this has any bearing, or very little on what MCP does.

Want proof, check the megacity performance facebook page for dyno sheets, an afr or two and hundreds of customer testimonials, I'm not sure how much more proof can be provided, if people can't believe the proof offered they will not believe anything and that in itself proves my claims of harassment. Dozens of testimonials comparing KLX to MCP, even from one of the people you mentioned you trust. If you can't be bothered to view the proof just so you can argue with me, you're part of the pack mentality that tries to run me down at every opportunity. If you're not part of this group, look at the proof freely offered.

When properly installed on a machine without other issues, MCP provides about 46 mpg US on highly modified machines. On stock machines with the snorkel removed MCP provides near stock MPG and in a lot of cases better mpg. this info is based on hundreds of rider feedback reports, machines that don't achieve these numbers have issues either with the install or existing issues and i'm more than happy to help customers sort these issues. I spend a lot of time assisting people with problems unrelated to MCP that affect mcp's performance. After two years nearly selling these products, all the usual causes that affect MCP's performance have long been identified and documented. There is a new troubleshooting guide that is very very accurate, its on the MCP fb page, or i'd be happy to share it.

If someone doesn't have a HOLY SHIT moment in regards to throttle response something isn't right

So, if you can fault me on ANY OF THESE comments, hats off to you. I am guilty of lashing out at these jerks that twist what ii say or repeat it out of context to make me look bad, yup. My question is, why are these people soo threatened by me, what could they gain by it? I ask myself this all the time. If you can provide an answer i'd be more than happy to hear it.

Grant

I’ve been reading for the last two hours on this site and a good bit of that was through jetting posts and the MCP posts I could find. This recent post above was the only “poke” joke I saw.

This is a forum with some very experienced mechanics and klr specific techs. This one going into detailed home experiments to provide us results, as a hobby!

As with MCP related posts there was that certain “touch” or feeling you get when you’re reading a, too-good-to-be-true advertisement. Lots of talk and explanations but no PROOF.

If anything, I’ve only noticed a criticism toward the marketing and claims of the product. Which is one reason some of us, me included, rely on this site. Evidence based advice. I can TRUST what Paul, Tom, Damocles, PeteK, Schlim, Pellier, etc, say.

First, the vendor claims for the MCP carb kit as both producing more power and retaining stock fuel efficiency are not supported by my testing. Yes, it produces more power: it reduced my 50-60 MPH acceleration time in 5th gear from about 6.5 sec. to about 6 seconds. However highway cruising fuel efficiency decreased significantly, from about 46 MPG stock to about 39 MPG, with small variations depending on mixture screw settings.

Second, throttle response: the MCP kit improved throttle response compared to my initial stock carb setup. However when I went back to the stock needle and jet, and enriched the mixture screw to 2 turns out, the the throttle response also improved, with respect to my initial stock setup. Subjectively, I judge the MCP kit to give slightly better throttle response than the stock setup with 2 turns on the mixture screw, but it’s a small difference, and to be sure, I would have to do more back-to-back testing, which I think is more effort than it’s worth.”

If you don’t like the criticism, don’t share your product. If you want to stand up for your product or business, provide results. Not a spur of the moment, emotion filled forum post about “special” people on here.

·
Registered
2002 KLR650
142 Posts
Thanks for the civilized reply Thumper

Most of my posts and threads from the past were either deleted by myself or tom. None of the people you mentioned have tried MCP except one, who i will let speak up for himself and not draw him into this thread. So if you're looking for evidence based fact you're not going to get it from any of these folks but one, who publicly posted in here that he preferred MCP which immediately sparked hundreds of kits being sold.

In the past i "thought out loud", and on some of those things i was wrong which i admitted, most of which i was right. I admitted when i was wrong or said "in theory". The people that continue to repeat these things do not mention that part so they can devalue the information and demean me and my claims.

As far as the experienced mechanics comments, yes there are, but that doesn't mean that something has been overlooked for 30+ years the bike has been around. I've learned lots from this site myself, none of this has any bearing, or very little on what MCP does.

Want proof, check the megacity performance facebook page for dyno sheets, an afr or two and hundreds of customer testimonials, I'm not sure how much more proof can be provided, if people can't believe the proof offered they will not believe anything and that in itself proves my claims of harassment. Dozens of testimonials comparing KLX to MCP, even from one of the people you mentioned you trust. If you can't be bothered to view the proof just so you can argue with me, you're part of the pack mentality that tries to run me down at every opportunity. If you're not part of this group, look at the proof freely offered.

When properly installed on a machine without other issues, MCP provides about 46 mpg US on highly modified machines. On stock machines with the snorkel removed MCP provides near stock MPG and in a lot of cases better mpg. this info is based on hundreds of rider feedback reports, machines that don't achieve these numbers have issues either with the install or existing issues and i'm more than happy to help customers sort these issues. I spend a lot of time assisting people with problems unrelated to MCP that affect mcp's performance.

So, if you can fault me on ANY OF THESE comments, hats off to you.
I would but I’m not talented enough to do that 😁 although I can sympathize with your frustrations

·
Registered
5,974 Posts
Congratulations on the, "thousands," of kits sold, MCP!

Any plans for aftermarket products enhancing "Generation 3" fuel-injected bikes? As in, product(s) increasing power and fuel economy over stock, simultaneously?

Again, congratulations on your business success!

·
Registered
2002 KLR650
142 Posts
Here is klr4evr’s , forum moderator, experience with the MCP kit.

Also, a thread that unfortunately shows the same back and forth as posted here.

Here are some of the dyno sheets from MCP:

874CBB75-FB25-4F31-B269-E7CF96E1F548.jpeg DF33D723-6296-4FF8-B3F9-E83D136C27B8.jpeg

·
Registered
128 Posts
hey thanks for posting these, i cannot for fear be it being called advertising :)

ya, klr4ever got 71 mpg imperial (if i recall) which i believe is around 55 mpg us. If i also recall his machine is completely stock and even still has the snorkel in the air box. this is the most fuel efficient set up of course

thanks thumper

i still kind of chuckle about KLRs on a dyno, but hey, i tuned 4 cylinder sport bikes for years without the aid of a dyno, back when mechanics were mechanics not just parts replacers, that need a ccomputer to tell them what works, but thats me :)

a klr is simple compared to a 4 cylinder sport biek, again thats me

Here is klr4evr’s , forum moderator, experience with the MCP kit.

Here are some of the dyno sheets from MCP:

View attachment 29855

View attachment 29856

View attachment 29857

·
Registered
128 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Damocles, i never know how to respond to you as you employ the double edged sword when talking to me IT SEEMS, but i suppose that is the intention right? Seems like there is a dig along with a question, and it appears that you try to bait me in an effort to start an argument with the folks in here as it APPEARS you've done in the past.

i encourage you to be straight with me and stop playing games with words if that is what you're doing, either way your comments can be taken two ways based on our history.

no plans to have EFI mods, highly highly doubt that the same issues exist, i can fix efi all day, but i wouldnt attempt to make a box to modify fuel curves. i have no doubt i could map it to work with pipes or air box mods if there was an ability to dial in with a laptop but i have no desire to create that ability and it is outside my skill set.

Grant

Congratulations on the, "thousands," of kits sold, MCP!

Any plans for aftermarket products enhancing "Generation 3" fuel-injected bikes? As in, product(s) increasing power and fuel economy over stock, simultaneously?

Again, congratulations on your business success!

·
Premium Member
8,462 Posts
WOW---105 mph! You must have one of those high-performance MCP jet needles installed in your carbatooter! :)

Jason
I did say 'indicated'.

Actually, when one considers the population per square mile, Wyoming has more Wide Open spaces (5.89 pp sq mi) than Texas (108.6 pp sq mi) to allow a KLR or other bike to 'stretch' its legs. :)

I might have the same air box mods & main jet that this guy used to have. I'm Loving My KLR All Over Again
Haha.

·
Registered
5,974 Posts
Data's hard to come by; for example, the total number of KLR650s produced over 30 years. How many of these have KLX needles? 22-cent mods? Aftermarket doohickeys? Etc.?

As a benchmark, MCP, how many thousands of carburetor kits have you sold?

Next question: Anyone ever installed an MCP kit in a Harley Keihin (CV40)? If so, result?

DISCLAIMER: Questions withdrawn if inappropriate.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Pushing 3 thousand mcp kits out now.

if a person was to put an mcp kit on a harley they'd have to change the nozzle too as the harley uses a bigger diameter needle nd a larger diameter nozzle, which is relative.

i'm hoping to put one on a harley one of these days

Data's hard to come by; for example, the total number of KLR650s produced over 30 years. How many of these have KLX needles? 22-cent mods? Aftermarket doohickeys? Etc.?

As a benchmark, MCP, how many thousands of carburetor kits have you sold?

Next question: Anyone ever installed an MCP kit in a Harley Keihin (CV40)? If so, result?

DISCLAIMER: Questions withdrawn if inappropriate.

101 - 120 of 133 Posts