Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after 3100 miles looks like the mechanical seal on my water pump is leaking (telltale constant ooze/leak of coolant from drainage passage on pump even after engine is running).

Noob Questions: In handling this repair, do I really need the clutch cover gasket as recommended by EM? I've seen various WP repair videos on YT that don't bother with the clutch cover so wondering why EM says I'll likely need that gasket. Assuming it must be related to a more complicated repair? Any other recommendations as I take this on myself? (Would rather avoid dealership interaction) Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It’s not still under warranty? Water pump seals shouldn’t be on backorder like fuel pumps. if their shop is backed up a couple weeks then I can understand that.
Yes it's still under warranty but I really don't like this dealership - I cringed having to buy from them but swallowed my pride and just did it because they were the best option at the time. Just poor customer service generally unless you are there to spend big bucks. Plus - I'd like to do the repair myself since I have trust issues generally :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes it's still under warranty but I really don't like this dealership - I cringed having to buy from them but swallowed my pride and just did it because they were the best option at the time. Just poor customer service generally unless you are there to spend big bucks. Plus - I'd like to do the repair myself since I have trust issues generally :)
Also, I put the thermobob on so I can just imagine this dealership trying to link that mod to the problems with the water pump.

·
Premium Member
2009 KLR 650, 1978 Shovelhead
94 Posts
In handling this repair, do I really need the clutch cover gasket as recommended by EM? I've seen various WP repair videos on YT that don't bother with the clutch cover so wondering why EM says I'll likely need that gasket. Assuming it must be related to a more complicated repair? Any other recommendations as I take this on myself? (Would rather avoid dealership interaction) Thanks in advance.
I tried to carefully take off the clutch cover without tearing the gasket - it didn't happen! Be prepared to replace the gaskets and spend some time scraping off the old gasket as well. Don't forget the O ring.

·
Administrator
4,497 Posts
Noob Questions: In handling this repair, do I really need the clutch cover gasket as recommended by EM? I've seen various WP repair videos on YT that don't bother with the clutch cover so wondering why EM says I'll likely need that gasket. Assuming it must be related to a more complicated repair?
EM says you’ll need the gasket because he removes the clutch cover when doing this repair. I’ve removed the clutch cover and been able to reuse the gasket. Having one on hand just in case is probably wise.

I’ve seen this done without removing the cover which involves prying out the oil seal from the front. Myself I’m not keen on the method. Hammering on a screwdriver to puncture the seal doesn’t seem like a good practice but to each his own.

On the plus side if you remove the clutch cover you have a good opportunity to clean the oil pump screen which is recommended at some point on a new bike.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just for reference- service manual advises the screwdriver approach (no removal of clutch cover) though I'm aware of the low esteem with which some of the service manual is held (+ added benefits of clearing the oil screen).
Font Paper Parallel Paper product Pattern

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Any thoughts on why the mechanical seal may have gone bad? 3200 miles on the bike. Lots of FS roads, jeep trail and occasional single track. The only thing I can think of is that I have a fairly significant bash/gash on the right foot peg mount (can't remember from what). The factory bash plate protected the water pump from any external marring/damage. But maybe it was hit hard enough to break the fragile mechanical seal?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts