Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there guys and gals,
I read threads about tires for the last two hours. I was floored to hear that a "Stealership" wanted $68 a tire to mount and balance. Wow!
Well, 2 years ago I bought a pair of Mefo 99 Explorers from Twisted Throttle. I went over to a friends and changed them out myself with some spoons and rim protectors. I used a Harbor Freight balancer, (about the cheapest one ever made, but it was what he had), to balance them.
Now it is 8,750 miles later and the tread is getting a bit thin. The Mefo Explorers lasted and preformed great. I loved them on the road and off. Only down side I ever noticed was they are a bit noisy, but what 50/50 tire isn't!
Since I am now in my 60's and think I ride about 80% road and 20% off road, so I opted for Michelin Anakee III tires. So this Wednesday I plan to return to my friend's garage and change the tires again.
In retrospect, the Mefo 99 Explorers are a fantastic 50/50 tire. Going to a friend's and changing your tires yourself let you know that it was done right the first time! I hope you have the chance to learn about doing your own maintenance and keeping your KLR in top shape and safe!
Safe travels, Jack

·
Registered
259 Posts
That is pretty good. A buddy of mine has a KTM 1190 and he got 12K out of his hideaneau. sp? I thought that was pretty amazing. Never tried mefo and I do have a set of t 63's to put on. Never changed a tire before so this will be a new experience. I should ride to your place and have you help me out.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Of course, like everyone else on this forum, I decided to change out the front brake line to a stainless steel lined one with an over sized rotor while I changed out the front tire. I bought the ultra heavy duty inner tube from Michelin which left very little room while mounting it. I found using baby power on the tube before inserting it worked great.
Not a one man task!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts