Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, i'm looking at getting a new rear tire again...the Mefo Explorer tire i put on about 3000 miles aqo might get another 1K out of it. The cheng shin c858 i have on the front is still going strong with over 4k on it, it doesn't even look hardly worn (which may explain why the Mefo has worn so quickly since i like to twist the throttle and the front tire leaves the pavement a lot). Most of my riding is on-road, but when i go off-road i like to hit it hard. I've been leaning towards the D606, C858, or possibly the Karoo. I don't think i can justify the money for another Mefo the way i burn 'em up. I want something i can feel comfortable with on longer highway rides, but also tear it up off-road. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
It is a hard choice when you want the best of both worlds.

I have tried the street tires and the 270's, and my last set was none other than stock tires. The kendas were too squirly on the roads for me, and made too much noise. The street type tires are good for the street, but aint with a darn off road, so my comprimise was the stock tires. And I was getting them for $100 delivered for a set. I think they are up to $110 now.

I do have a spare rear wheel with a 270 on it for when I know I'll be off road more than on.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I can't give you advise, as I have only gone through 1 set ( stock ) But how about a report on your experience with the Mefo? I woild like to know

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kawioops said:
I can't give you advise, as I have only gone through 1 set ( stock ) But how about a report on your experience with the Mefo? I woild like to know
Most of the miles were on road, pressure 34-36psi. Highway miles were at sustained speeds of 75mph (per GPS). They handle good, but i'm thinking i'm just throttle-happy hence the short life-span. Balancing them was a little tedious since there is no dot to reference with. I had to remount them 180 degrees to get a good balance without using a ton of weights. Off-road miles consist mostly of dirt roads, kind of rocky hard terrain and gravel. I tend to go fast off road too. Like i mentioned above, the front C858 is wearing good, i've had it on longer than the Mefo and will easily last through another rear tire. The dilemna i'm facing is living here in montana, the highways are usually wide open with speed limits of 75 mph and lots of opportunities for good off-road adventures. This is my third rear tire in the 8500 miles i've had the bike, so i'm looking at a less expensive alternative to the Mefo that can handle high-speed highway jaunts and kick ass off-road. I'm not sure what i want to trade off though- good highway performance or good off-road ability? So it's a toss-up...i'm thinking either the Gripster or the D606...decisions, decisions... :?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm on my 3rd 858 rear to one 858 front. So it sounds like the wear is the same as the Mefos. And I am also hard on the throttle.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Dude!, don't even think of those other tires if you wore mefo's out in 4,000!

I think your high pressure might have alot to do with that. Never went over 25 with my mefo's, got just over 7,000 out of them.

Been through 2 sets already. My friend had the karoo's on his 950, probably won't see 2500miles.

Every one rides differant? The 606's I have got as little as 2500 out of.

Again, if you wear out your mefo's in 4,000, sorry but your screwed. I have tried alot of tires, and they lasted the longest. The 858's and 270's I got the same mileage (almost ) as the mefo's, but the poor preformance is what ruined it for me. Got to have a good preforming tire!

I have distanzas on now, suposedly they had 5000 on them before I got them, we will see. Of course they are terrible in the slick stuff, but oh well, they rail in the street. Fortunatly I have an extra set of rims for the knobbs.

Good luck!

·
Registered
54 Posts
One more thing. Never compare a front to a rear, normally the front always outlasts the rear. Except for the 606 in my case, my hard breaking tears the 606's up bad. You should see my last pair, my friend asked me " HC, how did you get your tire to wear with only one knobb in the center!" Talk about cupping!

Also when I was around 4,000 on my mefo, I started running lower pressure in the rear. From around 25 to 20 and then in the teens. This builds more heat, but helps the tire last. Otherwise you will wear the center out very quickly.

·
Registered
53 Posts
HC, you klnow i have posted before that I got about 8000 out of my first set of Mefos and I was torture testing them,
this set should last longer
(nudge nudge wink wink)

But I thought more heat on the tire (a la airing down) would cause more tire wear and cracking.
Is this not always the case ?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Interested in this conversation on Mefo presures. Have a set ready to mount when the 606's are ' done " Looks like I should get a good 4500 out of the 606's with some tread left. Been running 26 front and rear and thought I might try the same 26 with the Mefo's. Im not hard on tires. Sound OK for a starting point ?? Appreciate any comments.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I think the Mefos are stamped on the tire with a Max pressure as 40 or 45 which is higher than I have seen on most tires this size.
I'll verify this tonight

I am about 220 lbs and I always carry a lot of tool or luggage weight with me so I keep mine at 35 rear 30 front on pavement
and down below 20 on the rough off road stuff.

I did notice my last set of Mefos starting to crack after 5000-6000 miles but I attributed that to my airing down a lot during that time, hence more heat and my previous question for Holycavemen.

YMMV

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I noticed the cracking on mine a while ago, and like i said, i only have about 3k miles on them now. And i never ran pressure below 30psi.

·
Registered
54 Posts
HC, you klnow i have posted before that I got about 8000 out of my first set of Mefos and I was torture testing them,
this set should last longer
(nudge nudge wink wink)

But I thought more heat on the tire (a la airing down) would cause more tire wear and cracking.
Is this not always the case ?

Still riding it like it owes me money.
Yea, thats what "people" claim. However I have found that more heat means very little when there is alot less pressure on the center of the tire. When you run lower air pressures the sides of the tire wear alot more than the center(just look at car tires.) Or just look at the track your tire makes with low pressure? Your tire relys on air pressure to shape it and use the center. Running lower pressures cause a flatter profile,and eventually suporting the bike on the sidewalls, if ran low enough. I imeadiatly noticed more wear when I ran over 30psi on my mefo's. Besided 20 psi doesn't warrent much heat at all. And that is around what kawa recomends.

One benifit I do like about running higher pressures, is that I notice that the bike rolls much better, and even maybe alittle more snappy.

Bottom line, if your center tread is wearing down, lower pressure will help it last longer. This is not a theory, its just the way the tire works?

Try it on your next set, I guarentee you that you will have more life, not less.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Dude said:
I noticed the cracking on mine a while ago, and like i said, i only have about 3k miles on them now. And i never ran pressure below 30psi.
You see? I will bet a dollar to a donut that if we saw a pic of his tire the center tread would be gone? Of course with the larger lugs, I guess it would be more of a flat section, than the center exactly.

I tell you what, if I ever only get 4,000 out of my mefo's, I would assume the compound was changed. Because I tend to be just alittle agressive at times. And have went thru two sets at just over 7,000 apiece.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts