Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Kawasaki KLR 650
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering buying a friend's 2007 KLR 650. The bike looks like it is in good condition besides it is dies as soon as the choke is lifted. As I started investigating the problem he told me that the "temperature indicator" might be broken. Then I found MOLTEN PLASTIC STRANDS that had dried mid-drip from under the airbox.
My hypothesis is that the pipes near the airbox got HOT and started melting the plastic of the airbox (possibly making a hole in the "clean" part of the airbox and causing too much airflow when the bike is not on choke.

My two questions are:
1. Has anyone ever seen an airbox start melting??
2. I am anticipating needing to change the airbox (apparently a big project requiring back-end removal), before I jump into that, are there any other hypotheses for the dripping plastic/choke-only?

·
Administrator
4,497 Posts
Is it a stock exhaust system?? Haven't seen or witnessed melted air boxes but it does happen. I'd be a little apprehensive on the whole deal. Doesn't sound like your "friend" is being totally straight up with you.

·
Registered
2007 Kawasaki KLR 650
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, stock exhaust. Although I am not great at identifying them so I will post a picture. He doesn't have the desire or time to fix it so he is more in the mode of "getting rid of it," and since I am in "fix it" mode he said I could pretty much name my price. I am inexperienced with motorcycles but I have learned a few things from old bikes I have owned. If it is a 2 week process I would love to get into it and learn what I can from it. If it is going to be a 4 month pain in the butt I will probably bow out.
And there lies the issue: motorcycle repair seems to always be longer than anticipated !

·
Registered
164 Posts
it happens, see post 47;

i hadn't had running issues with this bike, i think the stock heat shield is not adequate. i added some extra after replacement of the airbox.

one worry with a bike that's been running with holes in the airbox for awhile would be oil consumption related to worn piston rings and/or valve guides.

·
Premium Member
4,689 Posts
...and yes, leaking exhaust joint is the likely cause......hopefully any hole on the cleanside hasn't been there long and the bike hasn't been ridden in dusty conditions with the hole or the ring/bore is likely shot.

Dave

·
Administrator
10,087 Posts
In my never-so-humble opinion the 2007 was the best KLR ever made, especially if it is the back and silver one. They didn't make another good KLR until the 2010 and that was the only Gen 2 that wasn't ****ed up in one way or another.

If I could buy that bike for a decent price I would. I'd consider a decent price to be about a grand below market value. That would cover the cost of a 101mm top end plus my time. I'd buy it, put a new airbox in it (airbox repairs are strictly from hunger), and run it to see if it seemed to have been damaged. No damage, Snoopy happy dance. Damage, new top end.

·
Premium Member
KLRs: 2013, 2005, 1998; 2017 HD Electraglide Ultra
2,557 Posts
In addition to the others’ wise comments, the first thing I would check is the oil level. Hold it straight up and see where it is on the sight glass, and the oil color. Ask him if it uses oil and how much. When was the last time he changed it?

If you have any reason to suspect oil usage, pull off the tank and valve cover and then remove the exhaust cam right bearing cap. If it’s smooth, not scored from oil starvation, I’d buy the bike.if it is scored, subtract another $500 for head rework or replacement.

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
The melted air box can be changed by loosening the top sub-frame bolts & removing the lower bolts, then swing the sub-frame straight up & tighten the top bolts. Ebay can be your friend for a used air box.

The carburetor NEEDS a complete & proper cleaning because internal passages are plugged from sour old gas.
Read this short posting & watch the video, KLR Keihin CVK40 carb Explained video

·
Registered
2002 Kawasaki KLR650 A16
48 Posts
My 2002 had the melted airbox when I bought it. I didn't even know to look for that and found it after the sale. The OE heat shield was gone that mounts to the bottom of the box above the slip joint in the exhaust. (First pic) I replaced it with one off of ebay. And added an extra heat shield I made. (Second pic). Ive been riding it for a couple years now, using the "hope its good" philosophy. Thanks to @pdwestman and @Tom Schmitz for the info on the heat shield addon.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive design Gas

Gas Automotive tire Motor vehicle Metal Auto part

·
Registered
2007 Kawasaki KLR 650
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There are stories of subframe bolts breaking/loosening that let the frame flex. This causes the exh joint to open just enough to let exhaust gases blast into the box amd melt it.
I think you're on to something. I pulled off the front section of the exh and realized that the gap around where the two pieces come together DEFINITELY lets air through. there was some steel wool looking stuff that was in the gap--I have never installed an exhaust pipe, is that normal to have steel wool in between the two pieces?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts