Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Missed Gear
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
500 miles in three days. 100 plus were off pavement.

First day we slab'd it up to Stonyford.
We got our first ten miles of dirt on Bear Valley Road off Hwy 20

We managed to snag one of the primo spots so we set up camp and settled in.

As night set in we ate.....

We told ghost stories by the fie...

All by the light of the Super Moon..

To be continued....

·
Registered
901 Posts
:popcorn:

...waiting for more to keep night shift entertaining...

·
Administrator
8,357 Posts

·
Missed Gear
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

·
Missed Gear
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Day two..

Hopefully Snake will post up some of his trail pics. I need to put a video together because that is where all the good shots of the terrain are..

This day included 80 miles of off pavement riding through Mendocino to Upper Lake for lunch and looped back via Bartlett Springs Road and various forest roads to get us back to our camp site.

The bikes are itching to get rolling..

I haphazardly locked my panniers to the picnic table at our campsite with Snake's cable. (I'm a trusting soul)

Stream crossings, silt, hard packed, rocky, up hill, down hill, we did it all..

When we got home we were wiped out. Snake had to do some night time repairs to his pannier racks after taking a few spills on some of the difficult sections. In his defense one of his spills was when a truck came flying around a blind corner while we were going down through some fun silt. The truck was taking up the whole road which caused snake to bail to get out of the way.

Snakeboy66 working really fast in the dark.. I was just standing around heckling him.

The next morning we packed up and tried to beat the rain home.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Day Two...

Good Evening All KLRers,

What did you do to/with your bike this weekend??.....We, Cabrito and Snakeboy, rode to Mendocino National Forest, We camped for two nights, we were indoctrinated by FIRE, we kicked [email protected]@, We had a fanfockintastic time. That is what we did.

This was a preliminary ride to test the bikes, camping equipment, food and availability of beer. this was my first major off road experience. It was a huge challenge, but necessity will bring out the best of you. I feel that I succesfuly climbed the incredibly steep learning curve. Mr. Cabrito rode like his namesake. That dude can fly on Mountain trails.

I am now more than ever so jazzed for the Tri State DS. 29 Days, 12 hours and 35 minutes and counting....

Snakeboy

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,499 Posts
Looks like a good time. Cabrito, how did you get those pictures where it looks like the camera is perched on your left shoulder? I'm guessing stills from an "action cam" with a wide-angle lens that is attached to the side of your helmet? I like the perspective that setup gives.

·
Missed Gear
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks like a good time. Cabrito, how did you get those pictures where it looks like the camera is perched on your left shoulder? I'm guessing stills from an "action cam" with a wide-angle lens that is attached to the side of your helmet? I like the perspective that setup gives.
Those were accidental pictures from my GoPro Hero-HD mounted to the side of my helmet. Somehow I put the camera in picture taking mode. Turns out that I really like this feature. i think I'm going to start doing that more often.

It needed to be tilted up more though because a lot of my video is shot too low.

·
Premium Member
5,499 Posts
Those were accidental pictures from my GoPro Hero-HD mounted to the side of my helmet. Somehow I put the camera in picture taking mode. Turns out that I really like this feature. i think I'm going to start doing that more often.

It needed to be tilted up more though because a lot of my video is shot too low.
I think that setup gives a nice "I was there" aspect that non-motorcyclists watching the video would appreciate and I thought it was good.

In that mode, does the user determine how often a pic is snapped? I think it would be interesting to not know what you have until you get back from a ride and go through them. Sure, you might have a lot of them you'd discard, but you might wind up with some really unexpected gems, too.

·
Registered
452 Posts
looks like fun guys

·
Missed Gear
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This was a preliminary ride to test the bikes, camping equipment, food and availability of beer.
A few things I tested:
Luxury Lite Cot (expensive but worth every penny) I have never been so comfortable sleeping in a tent.. Time will tell if it will hold up over the long haul.

Hennessy Hammock
This thing is Kewl. Quick set up and quick to pack up. Easy!! I didn't sleep in it, but will probably bring it on the Tri-State ride.

Mr. Cabrito rode like his namesake. That dude can fly on Mountain trails
That is an Extreme exaggeration.
Later in the day I was barely able to keep up with Snakeboy66..

Necessity will bring out the best of you. I feel that I succesfuly climbed the incredibly steep learning curve.
All day I kept thinking that this was baptism under fire. By the end of the day we were riding at increased speed and confidence levels.
Snakeboy didn't even pause at this water crossing for me to get my camera rolling, but He did get a quick video of me..
http://vimeo.com/67480597

·
Registered
389 Posts

Looked like a nice trip guys.:thumb: I use VLC Media Player that lets me capture still shots from my videos.:photos:

·
Registered
452 Posts
I love my hammock its packed for my trip to Alaska tomarrow .. see u guys in a month ..

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Looks dope. :kumbaya:

My Dad has one of those hammocks. Took it on a cross country cycle. He loves it.

·
Missed Gear
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Great video Cabrito! I gotta laugh though, every time I see someone with a GOPRO mounted on top of their helmet it makes me think of Teletubbies!!
Regards....justjeff

·
Registered
452 Posts
that hammock made the almost 9k mile trip doable .. I was going to buy that cot even at 200 bucks but I couldn't assemble it in the store dang thing is stiff ..

great video guys that's what its all about !

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
When my dad did his cross country ride (bicycle), that Hammock treated him well. They're sweet.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts