Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried these out? How's the milage on road? Grip off road?

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
kinda pricey,266 a set

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's gonna be hard to get me off of the mefos.Milage is high and traction is very good on slab and gravel/dirt.Not so good in mud unless you air down a good bit.Always lookin though:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
D606 all the way. Never look back.:character00268:
Good ...

I'm currently running Pirelli MT21's and in another few weeks will be after a new set of tyres.

Was toying up between Mich's Enduro's or Karoos and the Dunlop 606's and am tending to lean towards the 606's at the moment.

SAE KLR1

·
Registered
102 Posts
My 2 cents... In my experience, the Enduro 3 on the front was a great tire. I got 8,000 miles out of it, on and off road it was a great tire.
The Karoo however; was great off road tire, but it lasted a whole 1,500 miles.. Yes, thats one thousand five hundred miles and it was shot. Cupped like a bad habit.
I now have over 5,000 miles on a TKC80 up front, and it looks as though it will be good for another 3,000.
I am using a D606 on the back, and it is wearing faster than the TKC80's I normally use on the rear. It looks like the D606 will last me up to about 4,000 miles. The D606 has excellent off road traction, and seems to bite the dirt better than the TKC80's, but it's a noisy beast on the road. I will be going back to a TKC80 in the rear. I get about 8,000 miles out of the TKC's on the rear.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Speaking of noise ...

I normally run my MT21's at about 32-33 psi on the road ... (see below) ... when I hit the dirt I air them down to 16R / 14F ... I played around with this a bit until I found some numbers I liked.

But when i get back on the black top with the low pressures they are NOISSSSYYYYYY. So I head for the nearest servo and put air in them. I find the above pressures give me good traction without the noise.

My riding consists of days to work. About 5 minutes each way so not too far. Weekends are play time :) 30 minutes gets me to the dirt and I play for about 100 odd km before heading home. Via the nearest servo ...

To go a bit further required hundreds (or thousands) of km's before the dirt.

SAE KLR1

·
Registered
65 Posts
Dunlop 606's

I really liked the 606's in the dirt and mud. They really hooked up at about 15lbs. Problem was they were *really* noisy on the road. Took them off at 2500 miles with still 1/2 tread left and put on MEFO's. 4500 miles on them now and they are great on the road, gravel, dirt and ( mud if you air down to about 13-15lbs) Hard to try anything else.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I think the between mefos, 606 and mt21's you have some of the best tires for both on and off road riding. For strictly on road I liked the Avon gripster. But off road they are worthless in comparison. I bought two Kenda tires for the rear for the summer off road riding. Pictured below one is a track master $56 and the other is a 271 for $45. I figure once the MT 21 is gone I'll run them on that rim and keep the Gripster on my spare rim. At $45 the Kenda 271 looks very agressive and should do well in dirt and mud. But I think they'll hum like a bored drunk on road and loose tread fast!

·
Registered
104 Posts
606 at cycle gear

Cycle Gear shows 606's on their website. Thunder Press and other magazines have a 20% coupon. I'm planning on picking up a 606 rear for the Dempster Highway. It should be around $52 with the coupon. Thunder Press are at H-D dealerships.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Cycle Gear shows 606's on their website. Thunder Press and other magazines have a 20% coupon. I'm planning on picking up a 606 rear for the Dempster Highway. It should be around $52 with the coupon. Thunder Press are at H-D dealerships.
that's how/where i got my last 606. i usually order from americanmototire.com,but that cycle gear deal is pretty good. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts