Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning my first "long distance" ride (well, long distance for me!) from Michigan to North Carolina this coming spring. It'll be myself and my 18yo son (riding separate KLRs) during his last spring break before graduating high school, and we're planning to ride to Greensboro, NC, to briefly visit my nephew living there. It's about 700 miles, and I'd like to ride around 350 miles/day I think. It looks like that would put us near the southern OH border with WV for the ride down and back, e.g. somewhere around Huntington or Charleston, WV. Does anyone have recommendations for moto-camping in that approximate vicinity, preferably first-hand recommendations? I can and will check the intertubes, of course, but first-hand recommendations from those living in that region, or those who have traveled through and camped in that region, are much preferred. Thanks much for any info you're able to offer!

·
Registered
5 Posts
My advice is to take it slow and extend the trip. I dream of the day my sons and I can take a bike trip together. You are a lucky man my friend. This is what dreams are made of!!! I’ve done extensive international travel to many corners of the world on adv bikes but nothing as special as a father son trip. Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
9,555 Posts
At 63 years young I reeled off a 504 mile /12.5 hour mixed roads ride on Oct 3, 2021.(edited)
Left my house at 7:30 AM with snowmobile suit under bike gear in 35F temps. Kept it on for the first 175 miles.

I've never ridden any saddle that I didn't get a sore butt if I rode long enough, dating back to 1974.
So I just figure its totally normal.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My advice is to take it slow and extend the trip. I dream of the day my sons and I can take a bike trip together. You are a lucky man my friend. This is what dreams are made of!!! I’ve done extensive international travel to many corners of the world on adv bikes but nothing as special as a father son trip. Enjoy!
Thanks. I agree 100%. I'm extremely grateful to be able to do a trip like this. The funny thing is that such a trip was no where on my radar just one year ago. We didn't own any bikes at that point. Then my son bought a 2015 Kawi KX250F in January 2021 (which has since been sold to upgrade to a YZ450F), started trail riding with some friends, and now here we are two KLR650s later and planning a week long motocamping ride to NC in a few months.
This forum and its members have been wonderful resources. It's a top-notch group of folks who are willing and able to help just about anybody with any KLR problem under the sun. I love the KLR bike platform in part because of the good folks here.
350 is far even on a Goldwing and painful on a KLR.
Yeah, I may dial that back. It'd be nice to have time to stop and check out the sites along the way. Although, it's mostly through Ohio, so are there really any sites to check out?? ;)
At 63 years young I reeled off a 504 mile /12.5 hour mixed roads ride on Oct 3, 2022.
Left my house at 7:30 AM with snowmobile suit under bike gear in 35F temps. Kept it on for the first 175 miles.
I've never ridden any saddle that I didn't get a sore butt if I rode long enough, dating back to 1974.
So I just figure its totally normal.
Time traveler, eh? 🤣

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
.......... It'd be nice to have time to stop and check out the sites along the way. Although, it's mostly through Ohio, so are there really any sites to check out?? ;)
Ohio? You can spend a whole day here:

National Museum of the United States Air Force is on Springfield Street at Wright Field (Gate 28B), Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, six miles northeast of Dayton, Ohio. The museum's address is:

1100 Spaatz Street
Wright-Patterson AFB, OH 45433

·
Registered
5 Posts
Im not sure your route, but there is a suoer cool little independent bike company in goshen, In that is a nice little detour if you are in the area. Home - Janus Motorcycles

Also, one piece of info I learned the hard way (50mph crash) is that different states have different regulations for how much gravel they put on gravel roads. Illinois and wisconsin for example dont use much and Iowa tends to uses a lot. So if you are taking the dirt routes, be prepared for your bike handling totally differently by state.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ohio? You can spend a whole day here:

National Museum of the United States Air Force is on Springfield Street at Wright Field (Gate 28B), Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, six miles northeast of Dayton, Ohio. The museum's address is:

1100 Spaatz Street
Wright-Patterson AFB, OH 45433
Thanks! I was just joking about OH (well, mostly!). We've been to the NMUSAF at Wright-Patt AFB several times. What a great place. Our last trip we stayed in Dayton and spent two days at the museum. It's actually pretty hard to see it all in just one day. Fun fact, there's an exhibit that includes some KLR predecessor history: Kawasaki Model KL 250
Another favorite in OH is Lehman's Hardware down in Kidron.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Im not sure your route, but there is a suoer cool little independent bike company in goshen, In that is a nice little detour if you are in the area. Home - Janus Motorcycles

Also, one piece of info I learned the hard way (50mph crash) is that different states have different regulations for how much gravel they put on gravel roads. Illinois and wisconsin for example dont use much and Iowa tends to uses a lot. So if you are taking the dirt routes, be prepared for your bike handling totally differently by state.
That does look cool - and I've not heard of Janus before this. Thanks!

·
Registered
200 Posts
I go through zanesville and hit the triple nickel (555) into WV. 2 days into Asheville isn’t horrible I’ve done this on the KLR, Tenere and Ninja

Reactions: KevinK

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
After living in Ohio and now in North Carolina, I'd advise filling up before leaving Michigan and keeping my feet on the pegs until I either needed fuel or crossing over a big river ;)

Not much to see north of the Ohio river. WV should have some sights to see and interesting roads.

·
Registered
2014.5 KLR650
202 Posts
Another vote for the triple nickel ... great ride ...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts