Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
2022 Khaki no abs, Thermobob 2, tusk panniers gen2, modified crash bars gen2, Tusk D-flex, 16t front
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread

WOW. I'm in love with these new tires!

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Plant

The stock tires were just Ok. Plain Jane Not great anywhere. Just O.K. EVERYWHERE 馃槀馃憥 They would lead you to believe one thing and then SURPRISE MOFO!
After the stock tires I tried out the "Tusk adventure" tires... Man the quality control on those things is absolutely terrible ( some dudes love them). Mine were Downright DaNgErOuS above 60mph.. it took the dealership over 2oz of weight on each tire to balance and they still had high spots and lumps in the rubber that would tank slap you above 60mph. I thought I screwed up my bike somehow 馃槀
IMO stay away from Tusk tires if you are going over 60mph. But Under 60mph they felt pretty good 馃槀 The other Tusk stuff that I've tried has been good to go but not their tires. Hit or miss at best.
The good thing about buying my tires at Rocky Mountain Atv is their free shipping and the return policy. They didn't hassle me one bit about returning the Tusk tires. They paid for it all and completely refunded my money. Only took a couple of days. And they even filed a rebate thru Michelin for me & sent me the link to make it easier. I didn't even know they had a rebate on the Anakee's but the customer service is awesome from RMATV.

Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Vehicle Vehicle brake

If you'll notice the arched tread pattern. The front arched tread points to the rear and the rear arched tread points towards the front. With this tread design It's been said that these two vibrations cancel each other out. I can attest to the fact They are not nearly as knobby feeling at high speeds as they would appear to the eye. Some pretty cool technology in These tires for sure 馃槑馃憤

You can see the dawn dish soap was flinging out down the sidewalls from my recent tire mounting escapade. And yes that is a milk crate from Seattle 1977 with a couple pieces of 2x6 screwed thru it in the background that I use as a center stand. Very custom馃ぃ
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Locking hubs Tread

With my new eBay Fork Brace, trimmed down front fender and the Anakee Wilds I can now accelerate all the way up to 95mph+ 1 handed and it's totally stable. Without the fork brace and the trimmed fender it was about 80-85mph 1 handed with just the addition of the Anakee's. Before that with the Tusk's I was tank slapping with 2 hands at anything above 60mph馃ぃ even with the stock Dunlop tires 1 handed above 75mph was a challenge.
Y'all know It's pretty hard to hide a wobble or any instability at that speed on a KLR especially with 1 hand IMO. Also I mounted and static balanced the Anakee Wilds myself ( my first time ever balancing motorcycle tires 馃ぃ) to further indicate their superior quality control.
Now hold on to your hats, These are made in Thailand! Which I'll admit had me questioning my 馃挵 choice initially but the first ride put those doubts to bed.
This feels like a totally different machine. These tires feel like they are glued to the ground with the sticky icky. Hit the throttle on a back road and the rooster tails will fly! Hit the throttle on asphalt in a turn and rail right thru the curve like a street bike. It's like I've swapped tires on each different surface I encounter. Almost Like I've always picked the right set of tires no matter where I am.
Some folks are already set with their tire choices and that's awesome. But If you or someone you love are still unsure about what tires to try 馃ぃ and you want knobby traction and high speed stability at the same time then brother or sister these are for you!
These tires are Sofa King Cool I swear 馃挭馃槑馃憤

Registered
2022 Pearl Lava Orange
Did you have to skip a mortgage payment to buy these? How much was the rebate? I've got a bit over 2k miles on my Tusk dualsport tires with about 50 percent left and I'll be ordering new tires soon. If the rebate is at least 100 bucks I'd consider these anaky tires but 350 bucks is a tough pill to swallow. The Midwest distributor is nearby my house and I've installed six 10 gig fiber circuits in their 1.75 million square foot facility. If i see these next time i visit maybe I'll see if they fit in a toolbag! haha. Glad you like them. 馃憤
Another option may be this tire in the front and a Dunlop 605 rear to keep the cost manageable? Both are bias ply so they should be compatible.

Registered
2005 KLR650
^ I second that.

If the Michelins were sub-$300, I'd have looked at them harder. But with a lot of people reporting 3-5k mi lifespans, I can't justify them over Shinko 804/805 which can be had for ~$200 for the set.

I ended up ordering a set of Motoz Tractionator GPS tires. May not be quite as sticky on road or as grabby off road, but are reportedly pretty solid wet or dry, on or off road, and will last a hell of a lot longer for the $300.
If I hate them, I'll keep the Michelins in mind :)

Registered
2022 Khaki no abs, Thermobob 2, tusk panniers gen2, modified crash bars gen2, Tusk D-flex, 16t front
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you have to skip a mortgage payment to buy these? How much was the rebate? I've got a bit over 2k miles on my Tusk dualsport tires with about 50 percent left and I'll be ordering new tires soon. If the rebate is at least 100 bucks I'd consider these anaky tires but 350 bucks is a tough pill to swallow. The Midwest distributor is nearby my house and I've installed six 10 gig fiber circuits in their 1.75 million square foot facility. If i see these next time i visit maybe I'll see if they fit in a toolbag! haha. Glad you like them. 馃憤
Another option may be this tire in the front and a Dunlop 605 rear to keep the cost manageable? Both are bias ply so they should be compatible.
Yes it is true these tires are not cheap馃ぃ馃憤
They were $362 delivered before discounts and credits. So with a $50 visa rebate card from Michelin for buying the set and I had $32 in RM Bucks that I used to bring my cost down to about $280. But They also credited me about $130 for the defective tusk tires that I put over 100 miles on trying to get them right. So in the end they cost me about twice as much money as the Tusk tires but I'm guessing they are 3 or 4 times the tire IMO. I'm very impressed bro!馃挭馃槑馃憤

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
^ I second that.

If the Michelins were sub-$300, I'd have looked at them harder. But with a lot of people reporting 3-5k mi lifespans, I can't justify them over Shinko 804/805 which can be had for ~$200 for the set.

I ended up ordering a set of Motoz Tractionator GPS tires. May not be quite as sticky on road or as grabby off road, but are reportedly pretty solid wet or dry, on or off road, and will last a hell of a lot longer for the $300.
If I hate them, I'll keep the Michelins in mind :)
I watched a bunch of videos on adventure tires and settled on Anakee Wilds. The motoz GPS was right up there on the list for me with the tractionators and a couple others.馃憤 I was a little concerned about how hard the rubber was on some of those because they last so long. I've had bad experiences on hard motorcycle tires before... (Still have the scars馃ぃ馃憤) And the technology on these seemed worth a try. There are plenty of other great options to choose from. I've decided not to go cheap anymore on the only direct contact patch with the road. In fact, These feel so good to me that Even if they only end up lasting me 3k miles I'd probably buy another set. Especially If I always have traction...?!?! Regardless of the monetary cost so far these are worth it for me. I didn't ever cheap out on my ZX11D models tires or my goldwing or any other of my vehicles ( not since I was a kid when I learned my lesson). Why go cheap on tires now? There's literally only 2 & they're kinda small馃ぃ should I go cheap Just because it's a cheaper priced motorcycle? I need good traction everywhere! I'd rather buy the good tires for traction and high speed and then buy the cheap foot pegs and fork braces & crap if it works.
Let us know how those GPS work out. We're all curious 馃挭馃槑馃憤

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I think I'm most impressed with their performance on asphalt. The way they look I would expect good performance off road. But what I didn't expect was how sticky and stable they are ON ROAD even above 90mph with 1 hand on the handlebars.

Registered
2005 KLR650
Let us know how those GPS work out. We're all curious 馃挭馃槑馃憤
I'll definitely post once I get them and put a few miles on them. They're currently backordered for a couple more weeks, so I'm making do with the worn and cupped MT21s that came with the bike.

If I was using the bike purely for recreation, I wouldn't mind trading reduced mileage for increased performance. However, I commute with my bike (~44mi/day), so I factor mileage into my purchasing decision more heavily than some others might. I'll hit 3k mi in 3-4mo at that rate. $900/yr in tires, plus all the time spent changing them three times, is pretty brutal. $300 and one tire change per year sounds a lot better to me, as long as I'm comfortable with how they behave on wet pavement.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll definitely post once I get them and put a few miles on them. They're currently backordered for a couple more weeks, so I'm making do with the worn and cupped MT21s that came with the bike.

If I was using the bike purely for recreation, I wouldn't mind trading reduced mileage for increased performance. However, I commute with my bike (~44mi/day), so I factor mileage into my purchasing decision more heavily than some others might. I'll hit 3k mi in 3-4mo at that rate. $900/yr in tires, plus all the time spent changing them three times, is pretty brutal. $300 and one tire change per year sounds a lot better to me, as long as I'm comfortable with how they behave on wet pavement.
I agree with your logic 100% as long as you are comfortable with how they perform you are good! Those GPS looked good! If I was mostly commuting I'd probably go that route too! Where I'm at In Texas it's like the roads are always under construction 馃ぃ I'm dealing with potholes and gravel & dirt on the asphalt roadways constantly and crushed rock Caliche gravel roads. Pea gravel roads... Hell, One day the city will just tear up the whole roadway and leave it like that for a couple of years. Literally my street is dirt. Has been for a couple of years. We had asphalt a long time ago馃ぃ but then I have to jump on the interstate and avoid tractor trailers going 80mph+... I pushed a set of hard tires waaay too hard and found out for myself where the rubber met the road馃ぃ馃憥 (can't even remember what brand it was so long ago) and more recently the Tusk tires convinced me not to go for the cheapest deal. They will literally sell you a tire that can kill you 10 mins after installing from a hard core tank slapping. And probably All due to shitty quality control. 鉁岎煒 gotta keep those 2 wheels planted no matter what the monetary costs.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wouldya just look at the way every other tread block on the edge is connected... Just look at it wouldya... And all the sipping.... The back edges of the big blocks are even sipped! It's just So much Goodness look at it y'all...馃ぃ
Tire Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber Wheel

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
... 2500 worn out miles later...
"THOSE TIRES SUCK GUYS!"
馃挭馃ぃ馃憤馃挵鉀

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In closing,馃ぃ
if you are not going to EVER GO over 60-70mph then you can probably get away with almost any tire for 50/50 or 70/30 riding.
But if you come off that back road & happen to hear Hwy to the Danger zone and want to kick into overdrive & fly low... Spend some research time & money on rubber meeting the road.
Way less sketchy鉁岎煒

Registered
I'll need a new rear tire by the end of the summer. I was planning to put another Motoz GPS Adventure on, though I'll take a look at these Michelins. I now have at least 10,000 km on them, and I can see no reason why they wouldn't do another 6000 km. (That will bring them up to 10,000 miles.)

I posted a long review of the Motoz tires last summer, and it still stands, though I've upped my game on gravel and haven't had further front tire wash-out problems. The tires do feel a bit plasticy at first on cold wet mornings, but I can't say I've noticed anything once I've got some time into the ride.

I've never tried them at 150 kmh (95 mph), but I have never felt any kind of speed wobble or bad vibrations on any type of road at speeds up to 120/75 all day long.

Lyle

Registered
Edit:
I should have actually read my original post on the the Motoz tires. I had about 11500 km on then then. Must be about 14000 right now, so who knows, I might hit 20,000 km.
The trouble with relying on memory!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'll need a new rear tire by the end of the summer. I was planning to put another Motoz GPS Adventure on, though I'll take a look at these Michelins. I now have at least 10,000 km on them, and I can see no reason why they wouldn't do another 6000 km. (That will bring them up to 10,000 miles.)

I posted a long review of the Motoz tires last summer, and it still stands, though I've upped my game on gravel and haven't had further front tire wash-out problems. The tires do feel a bit plasticy at first on cold wet mornings, but I can't say I've noticed anything once I've got some time into the ride.

I've never tried them at 150 kmh (95 mph), but I have never felt any kind of speed wobble or bad vibrations on any type of road at speeds up to 120/75 all day long.

Lyle
I'm pretty sure these won't get that kind of long mileage But who knows 馃槑馃憤

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I've spent the last two days adjusting suspension because these tires are so fun! They make me want to tear up the back roads as fast as I can which so far is 75mph on Caliche and gravel mix straight away totally stable & the tires wanted more馃ぃ馃憤 I did not馃ぃ馃憥. I shifted in to 5th gear because I had Full Purchase!!!!! That's fast enough 馃ぃ they want me jumping tin horns and culverts and shit馃ぃ馃憥 they don't care if I'm old and worn out... In fact they don't even care if the farm roads were just freshly spread with gravel and or Caliche they are tearing it up. These farmers are probably pissed at me by now馃ぃ riding my bike that sounds like a lawnmower @ 75mph with their dogs chasing after me down THEIR dirt road馃挭馃槀 I guess I'm that jackass? Challenge accepted 馃挭馃槀馃憤

Mind you, ALL done while sporting the medium Tusk aluminum panniers!

Same exact roads;
with the O.E. Dunlop 50mph.
With the Tusk's it was about 60 mph then the wandering would start.
These Anakee Wilds want the Whole Enchilada! No kidding!
The Anakee Wilds have no limit but me! 馃槑馃憤
Psi 32 rear 34 front thank you PDwestman!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's "Son's of Anakee Wild. Texas back roads original" to you Sir 馃挭馃槀馃憤we had a t.v. show... We're kind of a big deal...馃槀

1 - 18 of 18 Posts