Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

New to the forum here and bought a 2000 cheap a couple of years ago. I noticed that my bike kept wanting to veer to the side and figured that I either had the rear tire adjusted incorrectly or the fork tubes were tweaked in the triple trees. Ended up just riding in the field with my son on his PW50/RM65 and then my buddy bought a 2006 KLR. Took my plastics off to paint and do the doo on mine and buddies bikes. Quickly realized the reason for the bike veering off to the side. Tweaked frame where one side comes up into the main backbone tube from PO. Found a frame online. Noticed after pulling subframe it looked tweaked also! Luckily, the same place had a subframe for sale also and I picked it up also. Now that summer is over and school is back in session, I'm mentally gearing up to swapping everything over. Any suggestions or has anyone performed this type of transfer. Still have less than $1100 into it with IMS tank, good frames, and doo done.

Dirty

2000 KLR650
1999 Land Cruiser
1987 FXRS-SP
1982 CBX
1969 Cougar
1960 MGA

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Hello!

New to the forum here and bought a 2000 cheap a couple of years ago. I noticed that my bike kept wanting to veer to the side and figured that I either had the rear tire adjusted incorrectly or the fork tubes were tweaked in the triple trees. Ended up just riding in the field with my son on his PW50/RM65 and then my buddy bought a 2006 KLR. Took my plastics off to paint and do the doo on mine and buddies bikes. Quickly realized the reason for the bike veering off to the side. Tweaked frame where one side comes up into the main backbone tube from PO. Found a frame online. Noticed after pulling subframe it looked tweaked also! Luckily, the same place had a subframe for sale also and I picked it up also. Now that summer is over and school is back in session, I'm mentally gearing up to swapping everything over. Any suggestions or has anyone performed this type of transfer. Still have less than $1100 into it with IMS tank, good frames, and doo done.

Dirty

2000 KLR650
1999 Land Cruiser
1987 FXRS-SP
1982 CBX
1969 Cougar
1960 MGA
Welcome to the forum!

Bent frame huh? The PO must have hit something pretty hard. Seems like that would have bent the forks or a wheel or something else!

Be prepared for the swing arm bolt to be corroded in place. Give it a good overnight soaking with PB Blaster, get a sturdy drift punch and a big hammer!

I would probably replace all the frame/linkage bearings unless they looked really good. For sure repack them with good grease.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts