Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've quickly grew tired of the stock KLR mickey mouse ear mirrors. I've seen on here a few have swapped to the new Versys mirrors. Well the cheapest I found a set of them for was 50 bucks each. So I found some generic mirrors on ebay for $25 a set. My only concern is that they may be kind of low quality and vibrate worse than factory ones even. However, I went ahead and bought them since they were only $25.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190403902345&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
A Hillbilly method of cutting down on mirror vibration is to put stick on wheel weights on the mirror housing. Once you hit on the right weight, you can super glue the weights to the mirror. YMMV.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Mirrors Installed

Got the mirrors in yesterday about noon. And installed them soon after. They're great! I love the way they look the size of them everything! I only have two small complaints, they're a little shorter than the factory mirrors and it may just be that I'm not used to it yet but its not as easy just to glance at the mirror for a quick look behind you. I have to look down a little due to their height but thats really not a big deal. One other thing so far they seem really easy to knock out of adjustment, the mirror head its self I mean. Like if I hang my helmet on the mirror when I take it off I have to readjust the mirror but its not really a big deal either. They did a lot for the looks of the bike and I don't regret the purchase for $25 I haven't been hurt! They do vibrate a little but what can yo put on this monster single cylinder that won't! The vibration is no worse than factory and they hold their adjustment very well at highway speeds!

Before:

After:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guess no one likes my mirrors....:(

·
Administrator
8,350 Posts
I would just like to find some mirrors that have wider stalks. Half of what I see in my mirrors is my arms. My preference in mirror shape would be simple round mirrors or rectangular.

I think they look pretty good.

T

·
Registered
68 Posts
I was not aware that I needed to read and comprehend on this site. I guess I will move along. UGH!!! I hate when I do that.....pay attention that is. Thank you.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
They look cool. The phrase 'trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear' does come to mind :) but they do look better.

The fact that they move would bug me though. Mine already blow back over or around 80 mph.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was not aware that I needed to read and comprehend on this site. I guess I will move along. UGH!!! I hate when I do that.....pay attention that is. Thank you.
Haha no worries we all get in a hurry when we see somethin we like and want to buy!

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
WC417 if you're still around how are the mirrors doing? They look great, but don't want them if they're not very functional. Please LMK. Thank you!

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
Kinda old thread, but . . . these TPI mirrors (5-1/4" wide, "Ken Sean" brand, I think) cost about $ 12 each:

(Tusk winter shrouds not included!)

With dampers (available from KLR.com, I believe), I guarantee reduced vibration (speaking Generation 1; don't know if dampers fittable to Generation 2 bikes). I'd expect less vibration from the aftermarket mirrors alone, without dampers. Don't expect optic laboratory precision from the TPI mirrors, but . . . definitely wider-angle rear vision is available.

TPI products at http://www.klrparts.com

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Lone Rider,
Thanks for digging this back up, and showing those from TPI.. Mostly for mentioning that they're Ken Sean mirrors!! Ken Sean has been making quality mirrors for decades, and I'm looking to replace the cheapo Chinese mirrors that I bought on eBay a few years ago.. They fold in the wind, and I'm looking for something that doesn't fold so easily.

I know I could quit being cheap and just buy XR650 mirrors from Honda, but that goes against being a KLR owner. :)

What else does TPI have that I can't live without??

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
Lone Rider,
What else does TPI have that I can't live without??
O.K.; while branded by Ken Sean, and in my view adequate, the mirrors shown remain austere in materials and workmanship, but . . . THEY'RE ONLY ABOUT $ 12 EACH! Not Baush & Lomb optical quality, perhaps, but--more effective than the OEM round jobs IMHO; that is, if you really want to see what's behind you.

Country of origin? Couldn't say; the blank for this information on the package was occupied by a BAR CODE, unreadable by me!

TPI carries lots of neat KLR stuff; as to MANDATORY goodies, if 1) You have a Generation 1 KLR; and 2) If you ever ride at night, the trick TPI headlight bulb offers a "night-and-day" (pun intended) difference, in comparison with the OEM lighting.

Safe, usable beam focusing, especially at LOW beam, actually illuminates obstacles before you, in my experience. TPI's website marketing pitch tells all about it; "truth-in-advertising," as far as I'm concerned.

Ideally, the bulb should be combined with the relay harness. The harness insures maximum voltage to the filaments, and--sends only low-amperage control voltage through the handlebar switchgear, when connected (main power runs directly from the battery through the harness wiring and its relays).

While the bulb can be used with the OEM wiring ("plug-and-play"), a more complete setup will involve the relay harness; a possible later upgrade, if you want to go one step at a time.

One thing: If you go with the relay harness, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A TIGHT AND CLEAN GROUND CONNECTION AT THE BULB SOCKET! Lots of amps flow through the bulb; needs a good low-resistance return path.

Bob, at TPI, offers excellent customer service and stands behind his products and sales, again, in my own direct primary personal experience.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Well, you gave it a good try, but I've been a farkling nut on my KLR for almost 10 years..:)

I have an Eastern Beaver headlight harness, and it makes a huge difference!! Getting power straight from the battery, rather than through a bunch of relays, switches, and thin wire makes for a LOT more light!!

And to top it off, I bought a set of LED's this last spring.. Wired so they come on with my high beam, it's the difference between night and day.. :) One flood, one spot, and the stock Silverstar headlight make for eyeball burning..

But, as you and I both have found out, there's nothing like being able to see at night.. Hopefully someone else will find this info helpful when purchasing additional light for the KLR!!

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
Well, you gave it a good try, but I've been a farkling nut on my KLR for almost 10 years..:)

I have an Eastern Beaver headlight harness, and it makes a huge difference!! Getting power straight from the battery, rather than through a bunch of relays, switches, and thin wire makes for a LOT more light!!

And to top it off, I bought a set of LED's this last spring.. Wired so they come on with my high beam, it's the difference between night and day.. :) One flood, one spot, and the stock Silverstar headlight make for eyeball burning..

But, as you and I both have found out, there's nothing like being able to see at night.. Hopefully someone else will find this info helpful when purchasing additional light for the KLR!!
Most impressive, yet, IMHO, you can profit further by exchanging your Silver Star bulb with TPI's Canadian Wildlife number; its main advantage, to me, becomes apparent on LOW beam, 80 watts, I think, and . . . focused so it doesn't blind on-coming motorists.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Most impressive, yet, IMHO, you can profit further by exchanging your Silver Star bulb with TPI's Canadian Wildlife number; its main advantage, to me, becomes apparent on LOW beam, 80 watts, I think, and . . . focused so it doesn't blind on-coming motorists.
How does a lightbulb become focused? Isn't that the job of the reflector housing and lense?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts