Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

Mirrors

7K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  SimplyT 
#1 ·
I look at my shoulders with my new 2015 stock mirrors. I just ordered SW-MOTECH extenders from Full Throttle, hopefully they work and look OK.

I have heard that double take mirrors would help. There is the 3" recommended stock option, but there is a 5" option as well. Not sure what would be better? The 5" seems like the correct way to go but not sure if there would be to much wind drag on the mirror and need constant adjustment? Any experience with my issue and the double takes?

Any other suggestions in case the extensions I'm trying don't work? Thanks :confused:

#2 ·
I have the same issue, moreso on the left side for some reason. I can live with the right side.

I have a set of regular raise/extenders laying around ($20 eBay parts) that I gave a try, but I couldn't get the left side to extend outward due to interference with the choke lever+handguard mount.

The extenders you're talking about are the ones in the link below?

SW-MOTECH Left & Right Side Mirror Extenders for KTM 1190 Adventure '13-'15, 1290 Super Adventure '15, Suzuki V-Strom DL650 '12-'15, V-Strom 650XT '15-'16, Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200 '12-'15, Tiger 800XC '15 & Tiger XCx '15, Kawasaki KLE 500 '91-06

If so, they appear to have much more height than the risers I have. They don't clear over the choke, but it appears they rise above the handguard mount, although I note that the model has an aftermarket handguard. Still looks pretty adequate.

For me there's going to need to be a much cheaper fix than an $84 mirror extender. I thought I'd just get a BikeMAster mirror that extends further than the stocker.

#3 ·
On trust me, I don't like the price either, that's why I hope they work well and don't look bad. When it comes to safety I'll pay what's necessary. I've had some vehicles sneek up on me and I don't like that. Good luck with your issue as well.

#4 ·
TPI has inexpensive 5-1/4" (I think) rectangular mirrors and vibration dampers for sale, fitting KLR650s nicely.

"Wide-screen" vision, livable vibration. Not Mount Palomar optical quality, but . . . you CAN see what's behind you; profile's about the same as Kawasaki Versys mirrors.

As usual, the TPI website is honked up; try "KLRPARTS.COM" and just maybe you'll connect.

#7 ·
That's about what I'd be looking for, but I'm not sure why they say to replace the factory damper/base for fitment. The factory damper male end is regular thread and the female end is reverse thread. Maybe their mirror is regular threaded.

WIDE ANGLE MIRROR, L/H
Couldn't say; the offering during the Generation 1 era was; mirrors straight 10 mm threaded male ends; dampers plug 'n' play male 'n' female straight 10 mm also.

My suggestion; call TPI up and ask; further, their replacement/warranty policy is most customer-centered, in my experience.

#8 ·
I lobbed in an email message on the question about the mirror requiring their damper. It's not that the thread turns are different than the stocker, it's because the stem diameter is smaller than the stockers. So, I guess the damper also serves as an adapter. They also said that the outward extension was about the same as the 8 inch stocker, but the lens is convex for a wider view. The listing actually did say wide angle. That might work. I'm going to think on it some more. Both mirrors and dampers are just under $50.

#9 ·
Your call; if you want HD wide-screen rear-view mirrors, TPI has a solution for you!

Without the dampers, the package is even more affordable.

I have about 20,000 miles on the 5-1/4" rectangular mirrors with vibration dampers on my Generation 1; good value in my view. Well, in my rear view, anyway! :)

#10 ·
inexpensive Mirror Extenders from Amazon.com

These little Mirror Extenders are one of the best upgrades I've done to my bike,, just search amazon for "10mm Motorcycle Mirror Riser Extender Adapter Kawasaki". $22 bucks and I really have a full view from both mirrors. I'm not noticing any increased vibrations.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.