Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just getting around to trying synthetic oil in my '06 KLR650. It has @ 7500 miles on it and I got it late last summer. Thought I'd give Mobil One a try. The only Mobil One 10-40W at the shop was the "High Mileage" version. The guy at the shop assured me it would be great for my relatively low mileage KLR tho. After checking the owners manual at home, I found that the oil types recommended were API SE, SF, SG, SH, and SJ w/ JASO MA(whatever that means!). The Mobil One "High Mileage" is listed as API SL/CF - which is/are not in the recommended list. So, can I use the Mobil One "High Mileage" or do I need to return it and find something that's on "the list"?

Bigbird

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
K.I.S.S. - oil choice

OK. Back to basics. Rather than take a chance with having additives in the synthetic -that "may cause clutch slipping" - I'm staying with godd old Castrol GTX 10-40. K.I.S.S.!

BB

·
Registered
177 Posts
OK. Back to basics. Rather than take a chance with having additives in the synthetic -that "may cause clutch slipping" - I'm staying with godd old Castrol GTX 10-40. K.I.S.S.!

BB
If it doesn't say 'energy conserving' go for it. FWIW I use M1 in my 4 bikes and my car, have for years.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Diddo.............. If it doesn't say 'energy conserving' it's fine! I doubt the clutch on a KLR would ever slip! I personally run 15w50 in my '09 KLR. ( I'm running 10w40 Amsoil motorcycle oil in my CBR 1k and VFR, though.)

·
Registered
284 Posts
Why take a chance?

Just get the bottle that says JASO approved and have peace of mind. KLR clutches have slipped and can slip.

If the label fails to mention "energy conserving" it does not mean it doesn't have these additives in it.

Oil manufacturers have different labeling policies and some are downright deceptive within the restraints of the law.

Other than spending hours studying data sheets from all of these manufacturers and just try and find half of them....(good luck)....you may be fine.... you may not.

Just get the oil from any manufacturer that you please that confirms JASO on it. No reason not to.

Someone mentioned Amsoil...... good stuff. Many use Rotella with good results. Not sure if that oil is labeled JASO or not, but if it isn't I'm sure that one is fine based on many many KLR's running it with no reported clutch slippage that I have heard of from multiple KLR sites. Not sure if Rotella is synthetic or not.... maybe they do both synthetic and petroleum based?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Motorcycle oil

I always say, I wouldn't put motorcycle oil in my car, and I wouldn't put car oil in my bike. Motorcycle oil is engineered not only for wet clutches. It's also engineered for sharing a sump with the tranny. I always use Motul, however any good mc oil (10/40 like the manual says) should work well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have used the Mobile 1 in all my bikes. Has been a great oil. But Mobile 1 does make motorcycel specific oil which you can get at any local Wal-Mart or Autozone.

Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 is recommended for four-cycle motorcycles which specify the use of a 10W-40 engine oil. It provides excellent performance in motorcycle engines that are designed with a common engine/transmission lubrication system or where the engine lubrication system is separate from the transmission system. In the case of the latter, follow the manufacturer's recommendation for the type of fluid to be used in the transmission. Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 engine oil is also designed to provide the proper frictional characteristics necessary for wet-clutch engine/transmission systems. Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 exceeds the requirements of API Service Categories SH, SG/CF, CD, JASO MA and has been fully tested, both on laboratory dynamometers and in the field, to provide optimum horsepower and acceleration.

Fully synthetic Mobil 1 motorcycle oils are specifically engineered for use in motorcycles. The formulations are based on the proven technology used in other Mobil 1 automotive products, yet they are optimized for the unique requirements of a motorcycle engine and/or transmission. You can use them with confidence, knowing they will protect your bike in extreme situations where conventional motor oils simply cannot compare, including extended high-speed operation and prolonged idling in summertime traffic.

Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 was previously known as Mobil 1 MX4T 10W-40.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts