Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know Dougly from great falls is here, but are there any more riders in Montana lurking around?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hey Dude!

I am not from there, but I try to get out there as much as possible! My Dad lives in York, Montana...right outside of Helena if you are not familiar with the little town with the Famous York burger and of course you have to wash it down with Moose Drool on tap!

He is actually waiting for his 2007 KLR to arrive at the Helena Dealer as I type. I flew out there for the Testy Festy...Clinton, Mt...and we stopped at the Helena dealer and they had a used one and I told him I was looking at getting one and I guess he thought it was a good idea, also it helped that we stopped and talked to a guy at the festival that has his there and he went and traded his TTR230 in on one a couple of days later. He is a lurker here...Hi Dad!

I am hoping to get out there this spring and do some riding. I'll let you know when I am heading that way!

Anyone out there know how to do thew Doo! We will have to get him set up! I'll buy the burgers and the Drool!

Elmer

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We (dougly, mslamt from klr.net and myself) had a tech day this summer and we changed out a couple doohickies, subframe bolt upgrade, stainless brake lines, and some other little things. We had a good time and went for a ride when we were done. Dougly has the tools for the doo and between the three of us had enough knowledge to probably get anything done on a bike without worries. There's lots of great dual sport riding around here too, all you have to do is pick a direction.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I will have to agree with the great riding. He lives on Hedges, (I think thats how its spelled) if you heard of it. There isn't anyway you could take a bad picture for a "Ride Report". Of course that is pretty much the whole west side of Montana.

I am looking at spring to be out there next if not before! We will have to get everyone together!

Elmer

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hey Elmo,
Let me know when and I'll be there! I'm willing to head down to your dads place and we can have a mini-tech day if you want. Like Dude said, we can get anything done you guys need. There is at least one rider on the .net site from Helena, not sure if he's over here though...Doug

·
Registered
57 Posts
dougly said:
Hey Elmo,
Let me know when and I'll be there! I'm willing to head down to your dads place and we can have a mini-tech day if you want. Like Dude said, we can get anything done you guys need. There is at least one rider on the .net site from Helena, not sure if he's over here though...Doug
Thanks and it sounds like a plan. My Dad picked up his new KLR this past Friday and put about 70 miles on it on Saturday. He likes it but is questioning the purchase of the Corbin Dished seat...he had it 3 weeks before he had the bike. I told him to give it a couple miles before he make his final decision. That of course just going by what I read here not from personal experience.

Elmer

·
Registered
57 Posts
Re: MT riders

yancy44mag said:
i live in frenchtown shoot me a e mail
Where is Frenchtown? Couldn't find it on the map.

I will be out their the second week of April for a visit....pretty sure anyway!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Frenchtown is just North of Missoula on I90. Let me know when your out this way, you wanting to do a tech day/ride?
Doug

·
Registered
1 Posts
Montana Vagabons

Miles City has dual sport riders. I just got home from doing some riding in Arizona, California and New Mexico - I had to haul the bike down there and I was dissapointed to have to drive all the nice Colorado Mountain roads in the Suburban. I will have to go back to Colorado next summer. I purchased my KLR 650 in August 2007 - I have fallen in love with it. It is so great to be able to leave the pavement and enjoy the dirt & gravel roads.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Frenchtown is just North of Missoula on I90. Let me know when your out this way, you wanting to do a tech day/ride?
Doug
I will probally have the dates firmed up pretty soon. Like the next day or so. Wife needs to put in for vacation. I am not sure on everyones availability during the week, but I was possibly looking at Sunday the 15th of April. We would be arriving on Saturday the 14th and probally leaving on Wed. Let me know your thoughts. I would stay longer, but I will be bringing the whole family and that includes a 3 and 5 year old.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I could probably do Sunday. I may be bringing my nephew and wife with me, I think that is the weekend he is coming to visit us. Did you want to do a mini-tech day or just go riding? Did you want me to bring my doo tools with me? I also have an asortment of valves if your wanting to do them also. I have the Clymers and both factory manuals, and every tools you'd need to do anything on the bike. Let me know what your wanting to do...Doug

·
Registered
145 Posts
Doh...I just noticed you said the 15th of April, my nephew is visiting in March, so I'll be there for sure without the nephew, which will make it a lot easier to go for a ride after a tech day...Doug

·
Registered
57 Posts
Well I have a change of plans...again. The wife has a project and can't get off that week and I am not road tripping with a 3 and 5 year old by myself. Sooooooo...we will be out there over Memorial Day weekend. Which would have us getting there on Saturday May 26th. What does everyones schedule look like for that weekend? I know there is usually some family events going on.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I probably won't be able to make it then, I'll most likely be in California from May 19 through June 3. If that is the time you'll be there, maybe I can get with your dad before hand and drop off the doo tools and manuels for you guys. Helena is only an 1 1/2 hour drive from Great Falls so it wouldn't be a problem to get the tools down there...Doug

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'll talk to him some night this week and get a idea. He's retired and doesn't really do much up on the hill. I talked to him yesterday and is looking forward to getting out. He was saying it was suppose to be 50 or something like that.

I will have him order the Doo and we will take it from there.

If you want P.M. me your email and we can cc him in and make some plans.

·
Registered
145 Posts
No, I didn't get your email??...Try [email protected] . I am still going to SoCal at that time frame, what a bummer.

Since your father lives in Helena, I am sure we'll get another chance to go riding. Sorry I can't make it for the doohickey party though. If you or your dad get ahold of me, I'll be sure and get the tools and manuals down to him. I'll also drop off my collection of shims so if either of you want to do your shims you can just take what you need and drop yours off in the pile.

If there is anything else you guys will need to work on your bikes let me know...Doug

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey elmo, i know of some others that might have an interest in doing some teching on their bikes too. If you and your dad wouldn't mind hosting for the day, i'll get the word out.

Paul

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hey elmo, i know of some others that might have an interest in doing some teching on their bikes too. If you and your dad wouldn't mind hosting for the day, i'll get the word out.

Paul
I talked to Dad last night and likes the idea. So get the word out and see what we can come up with.

I figure I will be getting there Saturday/Sunday...this will be the first road trip with the whole fam damliy. I usually either fly out if I can find the cheap rates...ride the Harley...or drive the Excursion by myself. So this will be a adventure. By the way the kids are 3 and 5, so you have a idea of my nightmare.

It will be Memorial Day on Monday, so I guess Sunday or Monday will work...thoughts?

1 - 20 of 56 Posts