Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hwy 28 is a old road that connects 3 states. georgia and the carolinas. godzilla was ready for first serious ride

we had a great time great roads after wahalla sc. roads get quite twisty and sometimes no signs warning at all. (be prepared)
we stopped at dry falls near highlands nc. 28 is a great road all the way to deal's gap. all kinds of wild/crazy bikes at the dragon. grom's were a hoot. 692 ran good. i had a quick run from the overlook back to the lodge. after ridin all day, i was ready for beer. i had got up at 0200 and went to work from 0300-0700. we were ridin by 0800. i had brian on a victory kingpin, mike on a ninga 400 and me on the 692. we arrived at the dragon around 1500, moonshiner 28 is a haul for sure. we took a different route home on sat. us 129 south to marble nc and picked up 141 and headed south to us 64, then south on nc 69, crossed over into georgia it becomes hwy 515, took us 76 east thru hiwassee to ga17 at macedonia. ga17 has great twisties too above alpine town helen. ga 17 goes all the back to 1 20 and then 25 miles back to augusta. we did bout 600 miiles ridin. a great trip. a tad slow trying to get thru anderson, seneca, clemson. all in all a great ride, everybody made it home in one piece.

stopped at dry falls in highlands nc

tree of shame at the lodge

692 power with full cogent really helped. pilot powers:great at usual

·
Registered
158 Posts
I've never done that route in whole. I've gone to Highlands on it many times and then onto Franklin a few times. Then I've been on that section from Fontana to 129 a few times as well. I think that's the Hellbender or something like that???

sre

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
Great ride report; great motorcycling country!

I found Route 28, between Franklin, NC and Deals Gap, more interesting than, "The Tail of the Dragon." However, DO NOT let your inner Mike Hailwood/John Surtees persona loom too large on this route: Some dicey road hazards exist here (was on a ride where a go-ride-fast BMW rider crashed into a stone cliff face (excess speed an issue, in my opinion).

The map is cool, but apparently uses phonetic spelling: "Warrior Road," between Franklin and Topton, actually is Wayah Road; a delightful stretch of two-lane. (Be sure to stop at, "Loafer's Glory" convenience store in Franklin, near the end of Wayah Road.)

Glad you enjoyed your ride in an ideal dual-sport habitat!

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
i forget to mention. took a detour and went thru hartwell and took the back way to elberton. rode by the top 10 weirdest things in georgia. GEORGIA GUIDESTONES

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
next long ride i will have my spot sat messenger on. you can track my route. sends a gps hit every 10 mins.

looks something like this. this was my devils whip ride on nc-80 on my 250 ninja

1 - 11 of 11 Posts