Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I talked to a factory mechanic last weekend at mid-ohio about getting alittle more bottom and mid-range out of the 600. what he told me was 3 turns out on pilot screw go 1 bigger on the main and shim the needle. any body every tried it or heard of it? does the 22 cent mod work on the 600's? :mad0235:

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
I talked to a factory mechanic last weekend at mid-ohio about getting alittle more bottom and mid-range out of the 600. what he told me was 3 turns out on pilot screw go 1 bigger on the main and shim the needle. any body every tried it or heard of it? does the 22 cent mod work on the 600's? :mad0235:
My experience has been that without any radical changes to air intake or exhaust, 2.25 turns out from stop is a good starting point for the air / fuel mixture setting. Radical air intake / exhaust modifications may require jet changes, because there is just so much that the air / fuel mixture screw adjustments will do.

The 22 cent mod is the same for all Keihin CV carburetors. There is some differing opinions on the diameter of the enlarged hole we drill in the slide. I've drilled 7/64 holes, 1/8 holes, and left the hole in it's stock diameter, and I guess I'm just too Neanderthal to declare that I can tell any difference. My suggestion is to back the air / fuel mixture screw out 2.25 turns from stop, add ONE #4 machine washer to shim the needle, drill the slide to 7/64 and experiment. Everything you do can be reversed. You can buy a KLX needle if it makes you feel better, however, the end result of either will be about the same....a much improved throttle response.

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
nothing else is needed for 22 cent mod just a #4 washer
That's about the size of it. Sometimes, #4 washers are sold in packs of ten which may shove the overall cash outlay up into the $1.00 + category.

Maybe we could do a group buy on the washers and start a traveling 7/64 drill bit.....:laugh2:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok so i put washer under the needle and drilled the slide now it doesn't want rev past 5k ???

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
problem solved thanks to Damocles :desismiley1: i didn't have the diaphragm sealed in the groove :t1202: know if i could get some torque like my BANDIT has i'd have a wicked dirt bike:)

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
problem solved thanks to Damocles :desismiley1: i didn't have the diaphragm sealed in the groove :t1202:
Glad you got it fixed, gpzbob!

Further, I appreciate your acknowledgement of the valid advice and useful suggestion I provided.

When no one on the forum responded to your post above,
ok so i put washer under the needle and drilled the slide now it doesn't want rev past 5k ???
I sent you a PM explaining, without a completely airtight seal of the diaphragm, the slide will not lift properly when the throttle (air butterfly) is opened, and the needle jet and main jet will not be uncovered adequately for sufficient fuel in the air/fuel mixture.

You could not achieve full rpm as a result of your diaphragm air leak; in more extreme cases, the engine will not run past idle without full "choke" (enricher), compensating for the fuel-lean condition.

The diaphragm seal can be checked without removal and total disassembly of the carb, if the intake hose clamps are loosened, the carb rotated so the four machine screws holding the black plastic mixing chamber cover atop the carb are removed, and the mixing chamber cover removed to inspect the diaphragm's fit in its groove.

A bit of silicone grease or other goop to hold the diaphragm in place while the mixing chamber cover is cinched down may sometimes be useful.

Again, much obliged for recognizing some possible "socially-redeeming value" on my part from my advice and suggestion.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts