Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For those who like pretty things........................

Canadian Killer;

Dr. Mummy;

The Cross Fitch;

Original Pattern, The Double Dare

Original Pattern, Pasagshack Special

The Railbird

Original Pattern, The Cross Fitch Redux

·
Registered
63 Posts
Ummmm... I could hate you. Been trying to fight the urge to step up to a spey 7 or 8 weight. You are not helping... Started fly fishing a couple of years ago, bought a 5 weight for trout in the local rivers and lakes. A lot of my friends fish steelies in the Deschutes.

Enjoy seeing your flies, good photos too.

Jerry

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Ard. I've seen your work before, man. But you are a true artisan. I know a lot of people are probably looking at this and thinking: "huh?". They should try tying a few flies. Mine always look...different than yours. Oh well, they catch the occasional dumb or sight impaired fish. And my Dad is pretty good. ;)

Going fishing. See if I can show Francine a bigger bass this time.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
It's fun. I'm not very good at it, but you can get a kit and start messing around and get some easy flies done pretty quick. It's cool to catch a fish on a fly you tied.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I would think tying steelie flies would be easier than trout. Many of the flies I use for trout are tiny. I do have two different opti-visors, but still, tiny is tiny...

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
It all depends. I've caught trout on some pretty damn simple flies (some big, some small). Like an artificial salmon egg (ball of fluff secured to a tiny hook). There are levels of complexity for both...Ard is in another league, but you could get a fly-tying kit and with a few frustrating hours tie yourself a few flies that will catch fish. Ard's flies are beautiful, but simple works, too. My dad ties little ant and beetle flies that are made with foam. Takes about two minutes to make one. Catches trout like nobodies business. A purist might argue these are not 'flies', but I'd rather fish than get all semantic. :35a:

I like to try and make up my own designs. Some work better than others. ;)

PS - minnow imitations will catch trout and are pretty large (comparatively).

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Added Four More Flies on The Thread

I have added more flies to the thread, Steelhead patterns.

·
Administrator
8,292 Posts
Hardyreels -

Wow. Just "Wow". Those are simply beautiful.

Tom

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tom,

KLR owners are artistic at times. Thank you I am glad you guys like them.

Ard

·
Registered
704 Posts
All the above. Unless you've tied (or tried to ) flies, you may not appreciate the super craftsmanship and attention to detail you're seeing. Way to nice to fish with.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tying tiny flies

I would think tying steelie flies would be easier than trout. Many of the flies I use for trout are tiny. I do have two different opti-visors, but still, tiny is tiny...
Caveman,

When I lived in Pennsylvania I tied everything, tiny dry flies for trout, featherwing streamers, and salmon / steelhead flies. Back then I traveled to fish for the big fish. Now there are lots of salmon & steelhead and few calls for little dry flies.

Once you get tuned in to the size 16 dry fly construction you can pretty easily go as small as a #20 without driving yourself crazy. I have been using a jewelers lamp with a magnifier glass for about 15 years. The light and magnification make tying little stuff a breeze. Just remember, use the small thread something like 0/8 at least because they are small hooks and you don't have much room on that hook.

Salmon flies are easier because of size but then there are other problems to deal with, most importantly making sure that the really nice fly you just tied doesn't come apart when you try to fish with it. They take time, I put a dab of lacquer on every step as the materials get lashed to the hook. I use the flies and am still fishing with a Silver Doctor that I tied around 1983. The fly has caught 2 king salmon and one huge trout that was hanging out with the salmon. After many hours in the water it still looks good and has retained all its materials. Dry fly, wet fly, think durability, glue every step, you'll be glad you did when you someday reach for a fly and actually recognize it from years gone by.

Ard

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thanks, Ard. The wife is asking for Christmas ideas. Tying basics to get me started just might be a really good idea. I already have lamps, opti-visors, and work space in my studio.

On edit: I found some interesting tying videos Tying Art

Jerry

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Stay in touch if you get into tying Jerry. Typing messages isn't the most efficent way to advance your skills but it may help. I can always send step by step photos, they are helpful I think..................

Ard

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Another set of Flies

Hey,

Do you want to see the new series of flies that will hit the water in the spring of 2010?

I've produced what I think are the fishiest patterns yet. I call them The Wood Series and there are six flies. Earth tone materials and better pictures!! Yeah Baby

If just one person says POST EM I will start to put the thread together.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Post em. Count it. And I'll hit you back with some bass flies my Dad just tied for me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts