Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Howdy,

I've heard lots of stories, but knowing the KLR's bullet-proof reputation, I'm wondering...

What are the most miles, per odometer, that members of this community have on their KLRs? (in miles, please!)

For what it's worth, my 2014.5 has 55k miles and still runs strong - but it's just a baby.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
6,684 Posts
My personal 1987 has 85,000+ miles currently.

It has had one top-end job at 34,000 mile mark due to dust ingestion from an exhaust burn hole in the bottom of air box very early in its life. Caught the burnt hole 1st day of issue even. But once dusted the wear continues.

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
This '08 (shown on a ride this month in southern Wyoming):

Just turned true 100,00 miles (speedometer was replaced at 6500 miles under warranty):

(Not MY bike; my riding partner's (from Sugar Land, TX)). Owner LOVES his Thermo-Bob, by the way! :)

·
Premium Member
6,684 Posts
I wish that your old riding buddy would have ridden another 200 or so miles north. :(

Would have liked to have met him.

ps, you missed a '0'. (100,00) miles. :)

·
Registered
410 Posts
I recently bought a ‘96 Blueberry with 63k on the ODO; it now has 65k on it.

My non-KLR riding buddy gives me grief for 1. Buying a KLR, 2. Buying an old KLR and 3. Buying a KLR with 63k miles on it. He trades in bikes and finances new ones every couple years. That ain’t me.

My other Gen 1 has...well, I don’t know how many miles it has on it because I’m on my 3rd odometer! The current ODO shows 23k, but I’m guessing it’s closer to 50k.

Ride safe, boys.

·
Premium Member
6,684 Posts
I recently bought a ‘96 Blueberry with 63k on the ODO; it now has 65k on it.

My non-KLR riding buddy gives me grief for 1. Buying a KLR, 2. Buying an old KLR and 3. Buying a KLR with 63k miles on it. He trades in bikes and finances new ones every couple years. That ain’t me.

My other Gen 1 has...well, I don’t know how many miles it has on it because I’m on my 3rd odometer! The current ODO shows 23k, but I’m guessing it’s closer to 50k.

Ride safe, boys.
Third Odometer? :(

Do you have a problem with Gravity, Dan? :)

·
Registered
410 Posts
Third Odometer? :(

Do you have a problem with Gravity, Dan? :)
I kinda do!

Busted up my leg in Baja, and I’ve been known to take the occasional dirt nap. :serious:

But the odometers were just bad and I bought newer ones vs fixing them.

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
I wish that your old riding buddy would have ridden another 200 or so miles north. :(

Would have liked to have met him.

ps, you missed a '0'. (100,00) miles. :)
I'll clue him in, next time he heads west (and north). I know you would enjoy his company, and he likewise would profit from visiting with you.

Thanks for the correction (one ORDER OF MAGNITUDE!). Post edited.

·
Registered
19 Posts
A friend of mine had 95K on his when he gave it to his son. I think it was a 97 its over 100k now i do not know the exact number.

·
Registered
38 Posts
1990 Tengai with 283,000 km (about 175,000 miles). At this mileage it just had its first significant breakdown with a gearbox bearing failing - but it has now been replaced and is ready for the road again.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I still have my first KLR (2008). It was still running with 100,000 miles on it when I got a really good deal on a 2011 with 300 miles on it and parked the 2008. The upper rear balancer shaft blew a bearing at 50,000 miles and took out most of the rest of the engine as I reported here recently.

I just picked up a 2008 with 10,400 miles. I pulled the right engine cover and both left engine covers to inspect some of the innards. I found an Eagle mike doohickey installed and the 2008 deep hole problem fixed. Whoever did the work left out one of the four thin little washers that go on each side of the two gear pairs in the starter gear train. I snatched one from the blown 2011. I also found a tiny oil leak at the water pump and replaced both seals there.

I adjusted the valves and checked the cam bearings. It is running and sounding good and should be ready for another 100,000 miles.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I still have my first KLR (2008). It was still running with 100,000 miles on it when I got a really good deal on a 2011. The upper rear balancer shaft blew a bearing at 50,000 miles...

I just picked up a 2008 with 10,400 miles. It is running and sounding good and should be ready for another 100,000 miles.
I gotta say, I’m impressed! 150k miles on 3 KLRs in 10 years.

Maybe I’m missing your ride reports, but what do you do that you’re putting that many miles on your bikes? Commuting to work? RTW riding?

Ride safe.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I gotta say, I’m impressed! 150k miles on 3 KLRs in 10 years.

Maybe I’m missing your ride reports, but what do you do that you’re putting that many miles on your bikes? Commuting to work? RTW riding?

Ride safe.
Commuting to work is the one thing I don't do. I am retired. I don't watch TV or listen to music. I just ride my motorcycle for fun. I've been to Dead Horse in Alaska and Inuvik in Canada's North three times. I rode the Trans America Trail three times, the Trans Canada Adventure Trail, The Great Divide Route and lots of pleasure trips to see friends and relatives. Unless it is raining, I never get in my truck. It all adds up.

I am planning to leave in two weeks heading for South America. I don't generally do rice reports, but I may on this trip. If so, I'll post the location on ADVrider.com on this forum.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I am planning to leave in two weeks heading for South America. I don't generally do rice reports, but I may on this trip. If so, I'll post the location on ADVrider.com on this forum.
Well it certainly sounds like an adventure and look forward to tracking your progress!

Jason

1 - 16 of 16 Posts