Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
Any owners that have thousand mile days? Thanks in advance.
Yes. My riding partner (2008, with 685), qualified for his Iron Butt Association credentials, 1000 miles in 24 hours, riding in southwest Texas.

Yet, I know of no KLR finishing the Iron Butt Rally (11,000 miles in 11 days), although I once met a man who had completed the event on a Ural:

About the IBA

The 50,000+ members of the Iron Butt Association are dedicated to safe, long-distance motorcycle riding. Although based in the United States, we have thousands of enthusiastic members throughout the globe! One of our more popular slogans is, "The World Is Our Playground."
We host several rides, the most notable being the 11-day, 11,000+ mile Iron Butt Rally[tm].

(If some inmate knows of a KLR rider finishing the Iron Butt Rally, please share!)

q.v., Iron Butt Association

Certified Ride Finishers Someone claim they completed an Iron Butt ride? This is the list to check! NOTE: Due to verification, this list is approximately 60 days behind any given ride date... Last update November 17, 2020 for rides through June 30, 2020
Iron Butt Rally Finishers Some one claim to finish the Iron Butt Rally? This is the official list of finishers!
Our most popular ride certifications
1,000 miles in less than 24 hours​
1,500 miles in less than 36 hours​
1,600 kilometers in less than 24 hours Outside USA
2,500 kilometers in less than 36 hours Outside USA
1,500 miles in less than 24 hours​
Visit at least 50 National Parks in at least 25 States​
US/CANADA Great Lakes Series (Lake Michigan 1000, Lake Huron 1000, Lake Superior 1000 and more)​
For rides completed in State or Province​
USA Coast to Coast series (other countries on the BIG LIST below)​
48 States in 10 days series​
Key West, Florida to remote Prudhoe Bay Alaska​
This is just a small sampling of the range of ride certifications that are available from the Iron Butt Association. For a more detailed list, please visit The BIG list
Trademark information is available at IBA trademarks

·
Registered
678 Posts
Ayup, I’ve done thousand mile days several times on Harleys and once on a BMW R100RT, and have the IBA patch. But not on a KLR. Yet.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Wasn't on a KLR but I rode a 1978 CB750 1,000 miles in one day and in 1987 I rode a Sportster 960 miles in one day. These days I'm lucky to do 100

Reactions: DPelletier

·
Premium Member
3,459 Posts
I'm old with 45 years of motocycle crashes and injuries; anything over 200 miles or so is pure torture for me. Sold my touring bike after a couple 400 - 500 mile days.

Dave

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
Just for the record, I've never sought nor claimed any Iron Butt award, although I've ridden hard for as long as 10 hours in a day.

Airline employees must take, "crew rest;" even truck drivers must do the same, or else they're in a heap o' trouble with the ICC.

Just sayin' . . . anyone with motorcycle marathon ambitions . . . let's be careful, out there! Be sure your bike, and YOU, are up to the challenge. If you feel you're losing proficiency on a ride; shut 'er down; take a nap!

My suggestion only.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I crossed Canada (Halifax, NS to Victoria, BC) on my 1988 Katana 1100 in the summer of 1990. Travelled home through the US. Left just outside Omaha, Nebraska in the morning and reached upstate New York 24 hours later, 2019 km (1254 miles) on my way home. Total distance of 15,000 km in 5 and a half weeks.

Wayne

·
Premium Member
7,752 Posts
My longest day on my KLR650 was 748 miles / 8AM - 11PM in April of 1988. All pavement.

In July of 1989 I rode a 1000 miles indicated on my 1974 Z1 900 in 16hours 9minutes. Plus another 30 miles to a motel & dinner.
Trip was 1712 miles in 2 days around the perimeter of WY, with one 127 mile stretch between Teton NP and Lander ridden to & from.

At age 60+ I have still done 500 mile days on the KLR, even with mixed roads. Not much traffic in Wyoming.

·
Registered
9 Posts
A few years ago I did a Saddlesore 1000 that the BMW Club of Colorado sponsored. I rode a 2008 C14. A few of us were going through the entry list the night before and saw two riders on KLRs had signed up. Everyone wanted to meet these tough SOBs but they never showed up. I hope to one day be that tough SOB.

Furthest on the KLR so far is probably just over 500 miles.

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
On the, "Iron Butt Rally" (11,000 miles in 11 days). I mentioned earlier I met a man who rode the Iron Butt Rally on a Ural. His name is, Paul Pelland, who . . . fabricated push rods from hardware store drill bits to keep his bike running to the finish (Ural OEM pushrods have no lubrication passages, Paul said). Paul rides to earn money for the National MS Society (he suffers from MS (Multiple Sclerosis) himself).

Paul Pelland - Wikipedia

Paul spoke at the 2015 ADVMoto Rally, Romney, WV.

While my research remains incomplete, I found no KLR650 finishing, nor entering (by invitation only, I understand), the Iron Butt Rally.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Between 1987 and 1991, I rode a 85 Honda VFF700F back and forth from Charleston, South Carolina to Houston, Texas on 3 separate occasions. Thus, you can say I have done the 1,000+ ride 6 times. (Well, 5 times actually. There was this one time when I was going back to Charleston from Houston and I nearly froze to death in Alabama. I had to leave my bike there at Fort McClellan and come back and get it in the spring.)

The speed limit back then was just 55 MPH. One time, I made the trip in 18 hours and 15 minutes. That was a straight run. No rest stops. Just stopped to stretch, get gas, take a piss, get a drink and then get back on the rode immediately. I was all impressed with myself back then. Now, I think it wasn't so smart. I am still proud of it though!

The very first one was the hardest because I had no idea what I was getting into. I recall wanting to back out and go back to where I started after just a couple hundred miles.

·
Registered
73 Posts
SS1000 on a 2001 KLR
SS1500 on a 2006 KLX 250

Ron

1 - 13 of 13 Posts