Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new here. Just bought a new 2011 KLR. Once it's broken in, what's the deal on motor oil? Is synthetic ok or should it be avoided? I see some riders use Rotella. Is that the Rotella T used in diesel engines?

·
Registered
297 Posts
I run motul 10w40 300v fully synthetic and the bike runs great on it. Doesn't burn a drop of oil.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Is that the Rotella T used in diesel engines?
Yes.. 15W-40 Rotella T is very often used.. Some have gone the Synthetic Rotella direction..

Truthfully, as long as you not using an energy saving oil, most oils will work just fine.. The big thing is to change it, rather than worry about what you're putting in the bike.

I'm one of the Rotella T users.. I not only am happy with the engine performance, but I also like the way the bike shifts with Rotella.. And since it's an excellent heavy duty oil, I use it in all my bikes.. I've also used Chevron 15W-40 and also have happily used Walmart's Supertech 15W-40 diesel engine oil..

Again, the big thing to remember is to just change it. :)

·
Registered
303 Posts
First post an oil thread...
Catholic or protestant? Jew or muslim?
Lots of people using lots of stuff with great success, yet everyone's is the one true oil.

Me, Amsoil, I'm a dealer. In a pinch or on the road, I'll use whatever says motorcycle next to numbers that are close to the ones I want.

·
Registered
269 Posts
First post an oil thread...
Catholic or protestant? Jew or muslim?
lol. good call. thats what i was thinking. oh, and what tires should i put on? Jk. peace.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Rotella. I like it.

·
Registered
5,547 Posts
Truthfully, as long as you not using an energy saving oil, most oils will work just fine.
I know of no official caveat from Kawasaki against using "energy-conserving," or even "friction-modifying" oils.

The urban legend persists, "You'll RUIN your clutch!", by using such lubricants, but . . . don't know of any actual cases of such catastrophe.

Kawasaki's guidance, Owner's and Service Manuals, is pretty broad: Some API service codes, and some ambient temperature-based viscosity recommendations. No cautions against "energy-conserving" or "friction-modifying" lubricants I'm aware of.

From '07 Owner's Manual:

---------------------

--------------------

Premium synthetic motor oils, like Mobil 1, have copious quantities of zinc compounds; themselves, "friction modifiers." Wouldn't run, screaming, from the room myself from Mobil 1; YMMV!

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
The urban legend persists, "You'll RUIN your clutch!", by using such lubricants, but . . . don't know of any actual cases of such catastrophe.
Neither do I, but I also don't know, or even heard of anyone who's actually run 0w-20 in their KLR.. The lightest I've ever run is 10w-40, and I didn't like the way it shifted..

·
Registered
1,928 Posts

Premium synthetic motor oils, like Mobil 1, have copious quantities of zinc compounds; themselves, "friction modifiers." Wouldn't run, screaming, from the room myself from Mobil 1; YMMV!

Not sure why I'm responding to an oil thread... :50:

Zinc is an anti-wear additive not a friction modifier. The Japanese Automotive Standards Organization (JASO) are the ones that came up with motorcycle specific ratings, MA or MB. You want to run a JASO MA oil in a KLR or any bike with a wet clutch. The ratings are on the back of the container. Rotella T 15-40 is JASO MA rated.

More info here.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Oddly enough, they end pretty well here.. Mostly because we're not running jet engined, super tight tolerance motors..

My guess is that we could run olive oil in a KLR, and as long as you change the oil and filter on a regular basis, you wouldn't know the difference.. (No, don't run Olive Oil in your KLR):)

Now peanut oil.. That'd be just plain stupid!!!:character00268:

·
Premium Member
5,475 Posts
Much like Muhammad here, I choose my engine oil largely based on taste. It's the perfect compliment for a bowl full of tasty wheel bearing grease.

·
Registered
5,547 Posts
Not sure why I'm responding to an oil thread... :50:

Zinc is an anti-wear additive not a friction modifier. The Japanese Automotive Standards Organization (JASO) are the ones that came up with motorcycle specific ratings, MA or MB. You want to run a JASO MA oil in a KLR or any bike with a wet clutch. The ratings are on the back of the container. Rotella T 15-40 is JASO MA rated.

More info here.
Thanks; will look at the link and read it.

Accepting your definition of terms, perhaps the link explains what are "friction modifiers," and . . . where do any prohibitions exist in publication against use of "energy conserving" lubricants, or "friction modifiers," in a KLR?

All I've seen in print regarding Kawasaki KLR-specific oil policy recommendations is API service codes and recommended viscosities. Would appreciate an official Kawasaki KLR-specific reference to a, "Thou shalt not," regarding energy-conserving and friction modifiers in a KLR650 crankcase.

Please undersand; I carry no brief for either "energy-conserving" lubricants, or for "friction modifiers." If these qualities/substances are legitimarely taboo for KLR650 engines, I will support the "ban." I've just never seen any official sanction. The KLR650 clutch is so robust, I'd be surprised if the small increase in lubricity available would have any signficant effect on the clutch. Yet, if it does, I should think Kawasaki would so inform us.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts