Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone use this style of jack to lift the 2008+ KLR650? I used to have one for my Harley Superglide, and had to glue a strip of wood on one of the pads so the bike would sit level.

I have a chance to get one like this for almost nothing, and am wondering if it will work for my '09 KLR. Any info appreciated.

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts
I have one and have used it on the KLR with no modifications. If you can get it for cheap like you say may as well grab it.

·
Lifetime Member
2,482 Posts
I have one as well, works great on my 08 KLR! Also works great on my WR250R and used to work great on my Shadow ACE. Money well spent says I :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great, glad to hear that it will work. At first glance, it looks like the two pads are too far apart to contact the underside of the bike without the front of the bike sliding off, where the the skid plate starts to curve upward ... or in other words, like the jack wouldn't be able to be placed far enough toward the rear, because of the big suspension "knuckle" that hangs down behind the skid plate.

I have some pieces of 2 x 10 that I considered laying on the pads to make more of a rectangular point of contact ... but is sounds like you guys are able to use the jack as it is, without extra stabilizing blocks. Is that correct?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I too have this jack, and use it on my KLR and my atv. It really helps with oil and tire changes. It will be hard to do without once you've used it.

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts
Great, glad to hear that it will work. At first glance, it looks like the two pads are too far apart to contact the underside of the bike without the front of the bike sliding off, where the the skid plate starts to curve upward ... or in other words, like the jack wouldn't be able to be placed far enough toward the rear, because of the big suspension "knuckle" that hangs down behind the skid plate.

I have some pieces of 2 x 10 that I considered laying on the pads to make more of a rectangular point of contact ... but is sounds like you guys are able to use the jack as it is, without extra stabilizing blocks. Is that correct?
There are some of those issues when using it with the KLR. With mine I have to have it placed just right for the jack to pick it up. Don't use it much actually.

There are no KLR specific jacks on the market. I had the jack before I bought the KLR. I have a centre stand which comes in real handy for doing oil changes, chain adjustments, swing arm bearings, fork seals, wheel swaps - hey that's just about everything that you use a jack for.

·
Missed Gear
1,193 Posts
I got the same one. It works great if you have a nice bash plate on the bike. Makes changing the wheels a 15min job.

·
Registered
47 Posts
My 2009 has the stock bash plate, but I've found that if I place the jack where the back pad fits under the foot peg bracket, the front pad will go under the front of the bash plate; just make sure the jack is centered.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yep, I have one just like that, except in blue. Placement makes all the difference, but it seems to work well. If I'm really wrenching on something, I'll use the tie-down loops and straps, but otherwise it seems stable enough for chain lubes, etc.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yep, I have one just like that, except in blue. Placement makes all the difference, but it seems to work well. If I'm really wrenching on something, I'll use the tie-down loops and straps, but otherwise it seems stable enough for chain lubes, etc.

Great idea! I've never thought about using tie down straps to stabilize things, but will remember from now on. There have been a few times the bike has moved around while I'm working on it.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Jack

Depends on how your skid plate is formed. I have one that looks just like that. Got it from Harbor Freight. My home made skid plate fits it nice.

You may try using a piece of 3/4" plywood on the bars. Wouldn't be as critical as to where you place it. You could screw any blocks to the plywood, if needed, to mate with your skid plate. That way it would be there any time you needed it.

I use my center jack a lot. Makes lubing the chain right after a ride a snap.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Mine came from Cycle Gear, but it's the same except for the color. My cousin has the Harbor Freight version, but both work well.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The jack is working great. I cut a piece of scrap 2 x 12 to give added stability, and a little extra lift.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts