Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering buying a lift for my two bikes; it sure seems easier and safer than using the current chnks of wood / car jack that I have now.

What are people using, and what can I expect to pay for a middle of the road lift? I don't need a ton of features, basically if it goes up and down high enough to pull the wheels and change tires, and do stuff like that I'll be happy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I paid 30 something on clearance. But most of the middle of the road are 70-100. All of them are pretty much the same--made in china (probably the same assembly line). The safety catch is nicer on some than others. Pick the one you like and go. But if you like the one at sears, wait for a sale--they go $20-25 off every other month.

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
Sears lifyts are a lottle better quality, but you pay for it.

Harbor Freight, pep boys, advanced, ect... $39 - $149 if you can catch them on sale you can get one for the 39, maybe a little less, not on sale they run 49-69.

Or you could go with a table lift, H F has on for $299 (on sale)

I found this one in Gatlinburg Tn at "the tool store" for $199

I had to re-enforce the ramp some to keep it from sagging too much for the KLR.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was looking more for the kind that goes under the frame and jacks up leaving the front and rear wheels kind of dangling. I looked on Sears website before posting this thread and - strangely enough - the site links you to customer reviews of their MC lift, almost all of which were BAD! Apparently the hydraulic jack quits and is irreplaceable...? I'll search a bit more...

·
Registered
250 Posts
MeefZah said:
I was looking more for the kind that goes under the frame and jacks up leaving the front and rear wheels kind of dangling. I looked on Sears website before posting this thread and - strangely enough - the site links you to customer reviews of their MC lift, almost all of which were BAD! Apparently the hydraulic jack quits and is irreplaceable...? I'll search a bit more...
I've got a lift like your looking for. I got it at Sams club a few years ago for under a $100. Been really happy with it. Don't know if Sams still has them though.

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
The type you are looking for run from $39 to $149.

As you can see this bike is on one.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all; I have a Harbor Freight 15 min from me and will most likely get the $60-ish unit from them. For the light duty use it will see in my garage it should do nicely. I would like the Sears one but the reviews are dismal.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
MeefZah said:
Thanks all; I have a Harbor Freight 15 min from me and will most likely get the $60-ish unit from them. For the light duty use it will see in my garage it should do nicely. I would like the Sears one but the reviews are dismal.
Does this mean you are planning bike mods soon??????

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just bought one a Pep Boys for $79 with a $20 rebate. I did some looking and they are all pretty much the same. The lift sure makes tires off easier.

·
Registered
34 Posts
kragens offers one fer around 100 bucks that is pretty cool, goes up a little higher than the 59.00 ones and looks stronger, I really like the table lifts for getting the bike up there so you don't kill yer back bending over to work on the bike but when you have one of those, you still need one that gets the wheels off the ground fer changin tires

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you get a lift? If so what did you get and where? I am looking myself . . . sounds like a lot of bad news on the Crafstman . . . damn shame.

I an thinking either Pep Boys or th eHArbor Freight. I am a bit concerned about how stable the bike is on a lift if both wheels are removed . . . i need to get new tires mounted.

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
The one I got from Advanced auto is pretty stable. You can also strap the bike down to it, and as long as it is level the bike isn't going anywhere.

You could buy my yellow table lift for wrenching on any bike. Not good for tire changes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sears Proffesional Aluminum model. Expensive but it is lightweight so it can be picked up easily or kicked around easily for positioning. Won't rust

1 - 20 of 20 Posts