Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey thumbs go and get yourself that lift. I bought a cheep one from Harbor freight wish I bought it ten years ago, I also have a wheeler that it works excellent on. 1500lbs of lifting power and safety arms for bike to sit on when your working on it, so the weight is on the frame of jack as apposed to the hydraulic ram. They have expensive ones and they have ones that people like me buy, to use it once and awhile and then have it stored under my bench the rest of the time.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have the table type of the fork type?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep I use one like that also. Really not much of a problem with it but would like to get one that will raise the bike higher. I was thinking about one of the table like stands. Only problem is the cost and storage. I did see one that stored up on its end though. Harbour Freight has that one also. Just wondering how good they were.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Willys

I see you have a lift like I have in the courner of the pict. Do you strap the bike to your new lift? How high will the new lift lift the bike? Have you found any negatives with the new lift?

thanks

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Willys can you work on both sides of the bike with one lift?

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
That is the total lift hieght you see there...and yes to some extent you can work on both sides. I couldn't easily do the torsion spring upgrade as it sits on the lift so I ended up reversing it....just to make life easier. You don't have to tie the bike down to the lift but when working on it at full hieght I do...just to be safe. As you see it's not tied on in the pic IIRC. I use tiedown straps through the flat platform the bike sits on and over the lower frame of the bike.....works like a charm. I can even sit on the bike and bounce on it....The kift does move around a bit while the bike is on it but it is as safe as can be. The lower supports stop it from moving or tipping anywhere! Same idea as an engine lift.
I would recommend it to anyone who works on their bikes. I like it better than the table idea just because the wheels are fully in the air and allows you to work on them or have them removed at any time without any effort.

For the $169 it is at the moment...it's a steal!!!

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
OK who is going to make them? :character00201: I need one for a '05 KLR650 and a '06 V-Strom DL1000.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I use one like the one in the link to harbor frieght but its got a foot lever to pump it and lift it up. i think it was like $350 at hf works great.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I like that floor jack idea..but...for a heavier bike...I don't know???

I like the fact the one I have has the wide stance legs to help it ballance...I've tipped a floor jack over lifting cars etc...thay do tip when pushed...A bike is going to hurt when it lands on you from that hieght..I'm sure.

I do like the idea though!

Man I could punch them out easy too!

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
I like that floor jack idea..but...for a heavier bike...I don't know???

I like the fact the one I have has the wide stance legs to help it ballance...I've tipped a floor jack over lifting cars etc...thay do tip when pushed...A bike is going to hurt when it lands on you from that hieght..I'm sure.

I do like the idea though!

Man I could punch them out easy too!
Hey willys,

...and you could ship them in a KLR trailer :)

I agree with the tipping idea and a 450# KLR vs a 250# dirt bike would be very different on a fully extended floor jacket. As you say "I do like the idea though!".

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
As the saying goes..if it looks too good to be true ...it usually is!!!

If it were that good ...don't you think he would be making them himself???

All it is, is 4 pieces of 2" angle and 2 plates and a plug to fit the jack! Simple!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yea thats alright, if you have a good floor jack if not plan on spending 100+ for a good one, but thats cool gotta admit

·
Registered
507 Posts
I have one of the little red ones like on the floor in willy's picture. Got it at Shuck's auto in Wasilla AK. for $69 after rebate. It works great for most things. I just got done using it for tire change. A new pair of Mefo Explorers.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
mattysuehurricane

I am really considering the hf table lift. Does it pump up easily with the bike on it or would it be better to get the one with the air also? Is it stable when all the way up? I am using the 69 dollar one now also but would really like to get the bikes up higher so I can either stand and work on them or lower them to a sitting position and work. Have you ever seen the lift on sale? I can wait but don't know how often the go on sale if at all.

thanks

1 - 18 of 18 Posts