Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Lifetime Member
2,484 Posts
I wish they would pass that law everywhere... Either that of figure out a sensor system that works for motorcycles as well as it works for cars! I have one left turn on a light on my way home from work, as it's a road that only goes to my workplace there's only traffic coming out of it at shift end for the most part. I'll sit and sit and sit waiting for a car to come up behind me and trip it... Lol, I've tried all the tricks of different places in the lane and putting down my sidestand but nothing seems to work.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Wisconsin has had a similar law since 2006. Still, it feels weird running a red even though it's legal. There are two lights on the way to work that I occasionally run.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've heard if you place a strong earth magnet under the frame of your bike that might work.
I have one light going to work that does that sometimes, when I'm the first one in the lane I'll get 4 or 5 cars behind me waiting.
I'll move forward so the car behind me can trigger it, if they will move up as well.
Because its a busy road going to work I just make sure a have a car in front of me.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I wish they would pass that law everywhere... Either that of figure out a sensor system that works for motorcycles as well as it works for cars! I have one left turn on a light on my way home from work, as it's a road that only goes to my workplace there's only traffic coming out of it at shift end for the most part. I'll sit and sit and sit waiting for a car to come up behind me and trip it... Lol, I've tried all the tricks of different places in the lane and putting down my sidestand but nothing seems to work.

The sensitivity of the induction loops are adjustable. Complain to the road maintenance dept.

Don't know how it is in Canada but (I'm thinking) that most states have vehicle codes that address a non-functioning traffic light I know my state does. If your motorcycle, a legal vehicle doesn't trip the light the light is non-functioning. Usually the law will state something to the effect that you can proceed when safe to do so. Of course the burden of proof will be on you that you waited long enough to determine that the light was non-functioning and it was indeed safe to proceed.

·
Lifetime Member
2,484 Posts
The sensitivity of the induction loops are adjustable. Complain to the road maintenance dept.

Don't know how it is in Canada but (I'm thinking) that most states have vehicle codes that address a non-functioning traffic light I know my state does. If your motorcycle, a legal vehicle doesn't trip the light the light is non-functioning. Usually the law will state something to the effect that you can proceed when safe to do so. Of course the burden of proof will be on you that you waited long enough to determine that the light was non-functioning and it was indeed safe to proceed.
I should mention it to the highway maintenance dept. It's not bad if I leave at the regular end of my shift when there is enough traffic to trip it for me, but if I'm 15 minutes late I have to wait forever before I get ticked off and just turn anyway... I always make sure there's no traffic at all when I do though, don't wanna get schmucked!

·
Premium Member
5,511 Posts
Having been there and done that, sometimes I'll creep up behind a motorcycle waiting on a turn light or stop light to try to help them when I'm driving the Tacoma. Some of them understand what I'm trying to do and wave a thank-you, some of them think I'm infringing on them or crowding them and flip me off. I recognize when a car behind me is trying to do the same thing and I appreciate it.

There must be some kind of problem with changing the sensitivity of the sensors to detect motorcyclists and bicyclists. I mean, why change the laws in this way if it's possible to just set the sensors so they detect smaller vehicles? If not a bicycle, at least a motorcycle?

Being the conspiracy theorist I am, I would presume it's because maybe lightening the sensitivity of the sensors might make cars in the next lane trigger lights that would cause an accident?

Maybe a matter of the cost involved in changing/resetting the sensors versus paying legal bills that accrue from individual accidents where it's found the state/municipality is at fault for maintaining sensors that resulted in an accident is a good trade-off in the coffers?

Just seems strange to me that instead of somehow changing the sensors, they change state statutes to make it legal for a motorcyclist to continue through a red light if the presence of their motorcycle is not detected by the traffic light sensors and they've supposedly waited long enough to proceed when the situation is safe to do so.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It looks like a lot of places are changing from under ground sensors to cameras that will detect the change in the view of the camera.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Many years ago I purchased a magnet (billed as a traffic light trigger) for my old KLR.
It mounted underneath the bike via zip ties.
It didnt do a darn thing that I could detect.
One of several routes home from work includes a signal that wont trigger from my current KLR or my Goldwing, so..I dismount, walk over to the pedestrian signal, push it and hop back on the bike. Either that or stay to the right of the turn lane and it does "see" the bike, allowing me to make an "improper" left turn. It is 2 AM when I am heading home so there is very little traffic to worry about.

·
Premium Member
1,585 Posts
In Indiana we have to wait a full 60 seconds, then proceed safely if the sensor
hasn't tripped.

·
Registered
576 Posts
There are only one or two stoplights in my town that won't change with my KLR.

My xl200r probably about half wouldn't work.

I've heard a magnet solves most problems. I've rolled forward and back, and sometimes that helps.

If I can't get the thing to change, I'll just make a right turn when it is safe eventually.

One time my dad on his Yamaha saw a utility man adjusting something at a stop light we both frequently have issues with, so he asked him to change the sensitivity and it has worked well since then.

My Missouri Motorcycle manual said nothing about this, so I don't know what is legal for me to do.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
My Missouri Motorcycle manual said nothing about this, so I don't know what is legal for me to do.
Google is your friend :28:

Motorcycles get ok to run red lights in MO

Missouri Revised Statutes
Chapter 304
Traffic Regulations
Section 304.285

August 28, 2011

Red light violations by motorcycles or bicycles, affirmative defense, when.
304.285. Any person operating a motorcycle or bicycle who violates the provisions of section 304.281 or section 304.301 by entering or crossing an intersection controlled by a traffic control signal against a red light shall have an affirmative defense to that charge if the person establishes all of the following conditions:

(1) The motorcycle or bicycle has been brought to a complete stop;

(2) The traffic control signal continues to show a red light for an unreasonable time;

(3) The traffic control is apparently malfunctioning or, if programmed or engineered to change to a green light only after detecting the approach of a motor vehicle, the signal has apparently failed to detect the arrival of the motorcycle; and

(4) No motor vehicle or person is approaching on the street or highway to be crossed or entered or is so far away from the intersection that it does not constitute an immediate hazard.

The affirmative defense of this section applies only to a violation for entering or crossing an intersection controlled by a traffic control signal against a red light and does not provide a defense to any other civil or criminal action.

·
Registered
576 Posts
This is great news. Thanks. :c0125:

·
Registered
46 Posts
I usually just go straight, make a u turn, come back, then turn right. If it's just a very long light I'm dealing with then I'll turn right instead of left, make a u turn, then proceed. No laws are being broken this way.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I usually just go straight, make a u turn, come back, then turn right. If it's just a very long light I'm dealing with then I'll turn right instead of left, make a u turn, then proceed. No laws are being broken this way.

California Vehicle Code

V C Section 21800 Intersections:

(d) (1) The driver of any vehicle approaching an intersection which has official traffic control signals that are inoperative shall stop at the intersection, and may proceed with caution when it is safe to do so.

V C Section 21450.5 Traffic Actuated Signals Detection of Motorcycles and Bicycles:

(b) Upon the first placement of a traffic-actuated signal or replacement of the loop detector of a traffic-actuated signal, the traffic-actuated signal shall, to the extent feasible and in conformance with professional traffic engineering practice, be installed and maintained so as to detect lawful bicycle or motorcycle traffic on the roadway.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I want that California code for the whole nation, it is absurd that signals here are not triggered by a legally licensed vehicle.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I want that California code for the whole nation, it is absurd that signals here are not triggered by a legally licensed vehicle.

I think you can make a case for the light on a bike. Just like in a car you wouldn't sit there if the signal didn't work. A legal vehicle should trip the signals, if not they're non-op. Of course that would imply some common sense on the state's part!

Oh yea California... we can also split lanes legally.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts