Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Administrator
8,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Motowizard pre-load adjusters are good things! I owe thanks to Tim for turning me on to these. Frst off, they are of the best build quality. Functionally, they are easy to install and easy to adjust. I am plagued by winds on the KLR and nearly got blown down in sweepers twice this morning by realllly heavy, gusty winds. Recovery was effortless and without drama, unlike similar situations in the past. I felt the front end was more firmly planted with a bit of pre-load (remember, I'm running 240 lbs all by my handsome self, and usually run with quite a load of crap on the bike) at the front end.

Consider these, if you weigh more than about 150 pounds. Worth every penny.

See them here.

Tom

·
Premium Member
1,793 Posts
Amen!

I love mine! Combined with the Eagle Mike fork brace, You just point the front end into the turns, and it NEVER waivers. One of the best upgrades you can make to the front end.

MB4

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Damn you both. Allright, what the hell are these things now?!?!?

(I thought I was done!) :ashamed0001:

·
Premium Member
1,793 Posts
If you have your preload set properly, what advantage do these have other than being able to add preload if you're carrying additional weight?
It keeps the front end planted in the turns(depending on how you set them) You have 1" of adjustment from soft to stiff.

MB4

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
I was just looking at em on Arrowhead, but couldn't see a price?

·
Administrator
8,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
If you have your preload set properly, what advantage do these have other than being able to add preload if you're carrying additional weight?

That's the advantage. I travel out to the desert carrying an extra 60-70 pounds of camping gear. Once I'm out there and have shed all that stuff, I should be able to back the pre-load off for better off-road handling.

Hopefully, less compromise and more optimization.

So far, it looks good.

·
Administrator
8,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
440 Posts
I instlled mine this winter, and I am still dialing them in. Gerrrr It has snowed for the last tow days.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Let me answer your question with a question. How do you (SLO) currently set the preload using the front forks?

With the MotoWizard Preload Adjusters it is a 14mm socket and away. I normally carry a ratchet, extension, and 12mm socket for the rear shock so all I added was a 14mm socket.

I guarantee you will find a positive difference. It takes 10-15 minutes to install them.

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Motowizard pre-load adjusters are good things! I owe thanks to Tim for turning me on to these. first off, they are of the best build quality. Functionally, they are easy to install and easy to adjust. I am plagued by winds on the KLR and nearly got blown down in sweepers twice this morning by realllly heavy, gusty winds. Recovery was effortless and without drama, unlike similar situations in the past. I felt the front end was more firmly planted with a bit of pre-load (remember, I'm running 240 lbs all by my handsome self, and usually run with quite a load of crap on the bike) at the front end.

Consider these, if you weigh more than about 150 pounds. Worth every penny.

See them here.

Tom
I just put in the progressive springs and also have the eagle mike fork brace and the front end is much more planted but a tad stiff at times for me at ~ 150 pounds. I've been thinking of buying the adjusters so I could cut down some of the preload spacer that came with the springs. On this topic however, I darn near got blasted off the road yesterday riding down Left Hand Canyon. I've had wind knock me and a bike across the center line before, but I'm wondering has anyone ever actually been knocked over while riding? Just wonder if it can really happen or it just feels like it's going to.

Cheers,

John

·
Administrator
8,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
John-

I suspect you are right about actually getting knocked down.
Yesterday, on San Diego Cty S2, I was in a left hand sweeper near the center line. The wind blew me to within a foot of a soft shoulder before I could correct. Later running up the twisties into Julian, the wind pushed me towards the center line in another left hander.

Having been in similar situatuions before, I felt the corrections were a lot easier and more confident with the added preload.

Tom

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
I just put in the progressive springs and also have the eagle mike fork brace and the front end is much more planted but a tad stiff at times for me at ~ 150 pounds. I've been thinking of buying the adjusters so I could cut down some of the preload spacer that came with the springs. On this topic however, I darn near got blasted off the road yesterday riding down Left Hand Canyon. I've had wind knock me and a bike across the center line before, but I'm wondering has anyone ever actually been knocked over while riding? Just wonder if it can really happen or it just feels like it's going to.

Cheers,

John
John will enjoy the MotoWizard Preload Adjusters.

What fork oil did you use and how much fork oil did you install? Too much or to heavy fork oil and you can create a harsh frontend.

Also, what is the setting on your rear shock?

·
Administrator
8,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
John -

After pondering this a bit...

At your weight, you might consider fabricating some spacers that are an inch shorter and see how they feel. If things get better, then consider the pre-load adjusters and some modified spacers. That way you'd be able to dial things in for added load or off-road conditions.

Tom

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Au contraire, mon frere.

It will never be done.

Tom
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :animal0019:

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
I've had wind knock me and a bike across the center line before, but I'm wondering has anyone ever actually been knocked over while riding? Just wonder if it can really happen or it just feels like it's going to.

Cheers,

John
Been knocked down. Not by the wind. But I have come damn close on the GG bridge. In the rain and wind. Metal grates. About had it blown out from under me a few times.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts

Cheers,

John
John you will probably be better served with the stock springs than the progressive units. The Progressives are very firm and designed more for someone that is closer to 100 lbs heavier than you. Try setting the progressives with zero preload and see if that helps the ride. Also as TC stated oil weight and quantity makes a huge difference as well.

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
John will enjoy the MotoWizard Preload Adjusters.

What fork oil did you use and how much fork oil did you install? Too much or to heavy fork oil and you can create a harsh frontend.

Also, what is the setting on your rear shock?
When I put the springs in, I completely dumped the forks out and cleaned them up with gasoline (I know didn't have any kerosene), new seals, and the springs. I got the progressive springs from Dual Star and they included their "custom" spacers. I put in the 420 mL of fork oil called out in the service manual. I used 15 weight as I figured I could always change it again pretty easily with the handy drain plugs on the forks (why they stopped putting those on bikes I don't know). I think based on previous experience with progressive springs they are a bit too "stiff" for me. Maybe I'll get the preload adjusters and gradually cut down the spacers or take them completely out. I am a lightweight kind of guy and when I raced RZ350's back in the day, progressive suggested ~ 2" of PVC preload, and I ended up racing with 1/4 - 1/2" of preload. Now I must admit I'm a bit more weight challenged now, but not too much. I'll keep experimenting as I love dialing in a bike in every way because it's just so satisfying to get it right all by yourself! Thanks for the advice...

John

1 - 20 of 25 Posts