Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
8,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the RT for new tires this morning. The shop always has a few old bikes lined up, for sale I believe. Some restored, some not.

Do these bring back memories for any of you?

Reactions: rcecconi

·
Registered
6,639 Posts
Cool.
The pair of early 60's Rotary Valve Yamahas are a little before my earliest biking days. (1969)
The Hodaka might be a 'Wombat'?
The 4th bike with radial finned head, could be a Greeves with an Earls fork, also before my time. (side panel does show DKW tho.)

The two-stroke Honda mini CR is not familiar to me, any more info?
I'll guess about '73-'74 vintage.

·
Administrator
8,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, Paul, no more info. I was most interested in the dual sprocket Yamaha.

Tom

·
Registered
6,639 Posts
I think the Yamaha's are 80 cc engines. And I think I remember a picture in the Sturgis motorcycle museum of a dual sprocket model that clambered through some real Ugly rock pile mountain side farther than most larger bikes of the day.

·
Missed Gear
1,193 Posts
Cool bikes Tom. I especially like the small Honda with the black rims. And what is up with the dual sprockets?

This tasty little nugget was parked next to me when I was at Jury Duty on Monday.

--

·
Registered
6,639 Posts
Cabrito,
Looking at NADA.com the mini Honda with black rims is probably a 74-75 MR50. I don't recall seeing them when new, but think it is mighty cute also.

Kawasaki also did 85 and 120 cc dual sprocket models in like 65-66 models. In 1967 the Kawasaki C2 120 Roadrunner got a Hi-Lo sub-transmission. The '67 Yamaha 100 Trailmaster also got a sub-trans.

Were there any markings on the Honda twin next to your bike? 160, 305, 350? Right side drive chain and it looks to me as if the kickstarter Kicks Forward??

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Were there any markings on the Honda twin next to your bike? 160, 305, 350? Right side drive chain and it looks to me as if the kickstarter Kicks Forward??
Enlarging the tank medallion, I read: "300."

Enigmatic, because . . . the CB77 was 305 cc, not 300. Maybe marketing rounded down the displacement (although they seldom err in that direction).

Somehow doesn't look entirely convincing as a CB77 (Super Hawk) to me; the authentic had a sort of rubber mud guard extending horizontally from the rear fender, not unlike a bumper (if motorcycles had bumpers).

Then, the tank medallion may not be original.

While the kick starter lever comes to rest at a forward angle, I remember it operating to the rear.

Nice walk down Memory Lane!

·
Registered
6,639 Posts
Expanding the pic, I can see a bolt hole in the rear fender for a mud guard.
And I'm pretty certain that the swivel head of the kick pedal will only pivot CCW to the machined stop, which indicates forward kick motion to me.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Could be forward kick; my memory's terribly fallacious. Clouded by time, my recollection is of the CB77 Super Hawk.

Then again; didn't have to kick it often; electric starter standard!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Expanding the pic, I can see a bolt hole in the rear fender for a mud guard.
And I'm pretty certain that the swivel head of the kick pedal will only pivot CCW to the machined stop, which indicates forward kick motion to me.
Rode a Superhawk in High School. Definitely a forward kick start. Stand on the right side facing backward to kick start when ever the battery couldn't turn over the motor. (Which happened more often than not.)

·
Missed Gear
1,193 Posts
Cabrito,
Looking at NADA.com the mini Honda with black rims is probably a 74-75 MR50. I don't recall seeing them when new, but think it is mighty cute also.

pdwestman, thanks for the info on the Mini Honda!

I didn't look real close at the Honda next to my bike because I was distracted with this:

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Wow, with all those batteries, that bike must be REALLY hard to start, Cabrito! :)

Thanks for the clarification of the forward-kick start on the CB77, pdwestman and twinjet!

Didja know (you probably did) the ACTUAL motorcycle in, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, was a 305 cc Honda CB77 Super Hawk?

·
Registered
6,639 Posts
pdwestman, thanks for the info on the Mini Honda!

I didn't look real close at the Honda next to my bike because I was distracted with this:

Holy Sh*t!
I can understand your distraction!!!!!

I wonder,
Just what is the disposal fee for used batteries in your area??

·
Missed Gear
1,193 Posts
Holy Sh*t!
I can understand your distraction!!!!!

I wonder,
Just what is the disposal fee for used batteries in your area??

ha! They will come get them from your house for free here in SF. Any sort of hazardous waste is free.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts