Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm already to put some tires better suited for muddy two tracks and dirt roads I mostly ride on, but am conflicted and need help making a decision. Looking at Pirelli MT21's and Dunlop 606's. Both seem to be suitable, but??? Also looking at the Kenda 760 Trackmasters, but the only 21" tire I see is in an odd size, 80/100/21.

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
Both; the D606 rear has superior traction to the MT21 rear, the MT21 front has similar traction to the D606 front but is quieter and resists the braking pattern cupping better.

.....many of us "offroad centric" dualsport riders use this combo.

Cheers,
Dave

·
Administrator
3,566 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Does the MT21 "track" on the highway like the stock tire does? By track I mean gets a little squirrelly. Do all knobby tires for that matter? I have only tried stock and its terrible. Running shinko 705 and love it on pavement but would prefer more aggressive if it improves dirt performance

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@ beamwalker, I have never noticed any funny tracking characteristics of the stock tires on pavement. For me the only squirelly handling was on gravel where the front feels like it is rolling side to side as if on marbles. For riding on pavement the stock Dunlops seem to be fine tires.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Both; the D606 rear has superior traction to the MT21 rear, the MT21 front has similar traction to the D606 front but is quieter and resists the braking pattern cupping better.

.....many of us "offroad centric" dualsport riders use this combo.

Cheers,
Dave
Could you please tell me what skid plate you're running on this bike?

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
Does the MT21 "track" on the highway like the stock tire does? By track I mean gets a little squirrelly. Do all knobby tires for that matter? I have only tried stock and its terrible. Running shinko 705 and love it on pavement but would prefer more aggressive if it improves dirt performance
knobbies are going to move about a bit more than a street tire, but no, I've not had any issue with the MT21's.....I finished the H.U.M.M. Monashees this summer and we were running up to 75-80 mph on the highway with 22psi in the tires and both KLR's were rock steady on the highway.....I even had only one hand on the bars through some of the corners. I've not run the 705's as they are too pavement oriented for me but I have run a number of similar tires like the Pirelli Scorpion and hated them offroad......the D606 and MT21 will be a huge improvement off pavement......how much better will depend on conditions/terrain. Yeah, I'm also not a fan of the stock Dunlops.

Cheers,
Dave

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
Could you please tell me what skid plate you're running on this bike?
It's a Ricochet. I like it (have them on both KLR's), it's thicker than some on the market.......If I had to buy another today, I'd also consider the JNS skid plate. The Ricochet can be purchased from the manufacturer, RMATV and other retailers.

Cheers,
Dave

·
Premium Member
6,671 Posts
I highly advise to NOT install a FRONT Dunlop D606 with the direction of Rotation ARROW in Dunlops intended direction.
Their pattern will scoop the gravel marbels INTO the center line and the bike will be nearly un-rideable at 60+ on gravel roads, on a KLR650.

Reverse the directional arrow and you can ride without concern. It will probably 'scallop' less on pavement also.

·
Registered
81 Posts
@ beamwalker, I have never noticed any funny tracking characteristics of the stock tires on pavement. For me the only squirelly handling was on gravel where the front feels like it is rolling side to side as if on marbles. For riding on pavement the stock Dunlops seem to be fine tires.
Hey Paddy, would like to know if the front wheel loses the on marbles feel with the MT21 when or if you change it. I feel like I am going to fall over, and have had it spill from under me in soft shit for no other reason than she is just a top heavy beast. Not sure if a more aggressive tread will change that uneasy feeling of about to go down much, but would be great if it does. Anyone feel free to chime in here.

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
Hey Paddy, would like to know if the front wheel loses the on marbles feel with the MT21 when or if you change it. I feel like I am going to fall over, and have had it spill from under me in soft shit for no other reason than she is just a top heavy beast. Not sure if a more aggressive tread will change that uneasy feeling of about to go down much, but would be great if it does. Anyone feel free to chime in here.
Yes and no ;-) The MT21's have much better traction in the gravel than the stock Dunlops IMO but OTOH, no tire is a silver bullet cure for traction issues on loose gravel.....gravel is gravel - comfort level is based largely on experience IMO...but the tire swap will help

Dave

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm going to stick with my Mitas E-07's forever. Good enough for me off road and fan flippin tastic on road.
I've heard good things about those tires, but for me I am skeptical s to how they would perform in wet greasy muddy trails here in Michigan. I'm sure they would be great in mostly dry conditions in your average soils, but how well to they work in stuff like snow with mud underneath? I'm looking for a tire that will pull me through that type of mess.

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
I've heard good things about those tires, but for me I am skeptical s to how they would perform in wet greasy muddy trails here in Michigan. I'm sure they would be great in mostly dry conditions in your average soils, but how well to they work in stuff like snow with mud underneath? I'm looking for a tire that will pull me through that type of mess.
Yeah, I don't have to try them to tell that they can't compete with the D606/MT21 in those conditions. My use is biased towards offroad, I try to avoid highways and I don't put a ton of miles on my KLR's making tire longevity a low priority.....and I always say; I seldom get stuck on pavement!

Dave

·
Administrator
3,566 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts