Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well as you can tell from the title, I am not happy with my bike. This is now the fourth (maybe 5th?) time that my 09 has left me stranded. Haven't had any problems with it since I finally fixed the worn wiring that was causing it to not run when its raining. Today I rode it to work as usual. Was making a turn and had the clutch in a bit and the engine died. Hit the starter button and it fired right up. Rode a couple miles more, came to a stop light so I pulled in the clutch and the engine died again. Tried starting it several times no dice. Pulled off the road and while hitting the starter button, I could hear the starter spin but it wasn't catching on anything. So it would seem some gear or something broke or fell out of where it should be. Can't wait to tear it open in the morning and see what damage there is.

I don't get it. I keep hearing the KLR is so reliable and bulletproof, and all I get is grief. So many design flaws with this bike (kick stand, front fender acts like a sail, wiring harness....), but too many miles on it no to get rid of it. Of all the miles on my Bandit, it only stranded me once because I shorted me main fuse when I installed crash bars. This thing just doesn't want to work. A piece of junk lemon

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
A piece of junk lemon
I think you might have hit it on the head.. You might have a lemon..

My 02' has been reliable, almost to a fault (knock on wood) with several trips all over the Midwest, and in the end, I ride right back into my driveway, ready for the next ride.

I guess the occasional lemon gets out. Just sucks that someone ends up buying it without knowing..:(

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I think you might have hit it on the head.. You might have a lemon..

My 02' has been reliable, almost to a fault (knock on wood) with several trips all over the Midwest, and in the end, I ride right back into my driveway, ready for the next ride.

I guess the occasional lemon gets out. Just sucks that someone ends up buying it without knowing..:(
Everyone I know with the older models say the bike is great. That's why I bought this. I guess mine was made on a Friday. I wonder if Thailand allows pot smoking on the job?? Well, eventually all the faults will be fixed and maybe then it will be reliable.

Oh, and of course, all of these problems started AFTER the warranty expired.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Everyone I know with the older models say the bike is great. That's why I bought this. I guess mine was made on a Friday. I wonder if Thailand allows pot smoking on the job?? Well, eventually all the faults will be fixed and maybe then it will be reliable.

Oh, and of course, all of these problems started AFTER the warranty expired.

Have you disabled the clutch and sidestand safety switches? Sounds like what is going on.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
It sounds like you should sell it ASAP and get a good bike like an HD that doesn't have any issues. :49:

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Have you disabled the clutch and sidestand safety switches? Sounds like what is going on.
The starter will still make noise if these are malfunctioning??

I thought I found the issue. The flywheel bolt had come loose and I figured that made it so the, what is it, the starter clutch, didn't engage with the gears that are hooked up to the starter

EDIT: Well, the above DID NOT fix the issue. So, I tried the sidestand and clutch bypasses.

For the sidestand, I just cut the wires and soldered the two together. That's all to it, right??

For the clutch, popped out the plug and stuck in a 10a minifuse. Correct for that one, right?

So the starter still just WHIRRRRRRS along when I hit the starter button. If I can, I'll try posting a video of it, maybe the sound will help diagnose this.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The safety switches will not allow the starter to turn so they aren't the problem.

You said that the rotor bolt was loose yes? The starter is not engaging the gear inside the case, you're going to have to take it apart and have a look.
Already did that part first. Everything is back in there nice and tight.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
I got nothing helpful to add, but hang in there, bud. I know it is super frustrating. Maybe you did get a lemon. I haven't had any problems to write home about.

Keep swinging. You'll beat it. Or sell it and move on.

·
Administrator
8,912 Posts
SteelB12 -

This may not be helpful, but that's never stopped me before....

There have been reports on some of the Gen2 bikes that the hole in the case for the starter gear idler shaft is too deep. This may cause the gears to become disengaged.

Any chance that is the problem? I know you said that you had the case off - did the gears look properly meshed?

The fix is to put a short plug in the bottom of the hole in the case. I have heard that Eagle Mike has a solution.

Another thought -if the rotor bolt was loose and the rotor backed away, causing the starter clutch to lose engagement, then the woodruff key could have slipped. When you tightened it, a slipped woodruff could cause the rotor not to seat (could that have been the problem all along?). You may have to go back in there if you are not 100% sure about the rotor being correctly bottomed and the bolt correctly torqued.

Tom

·
Administrator
8,912 Posts
It didn't sound like the engine was turning over at all.
Easy check for that - stick it in gear and bump the starter. While hold ing the bike, of course.

If it does move, then it would indicate major problems, 'cuz the way it's acting it would have to have zero compression to spin that fast.

More inclined to think the starter clutch is not functioning.

Tom

·
Lifetime Member
2,491 Posts
I'm guessing that if the rotor bolt loosened up and the woodruff key fell out or sheared, your starter could be turning the rotor but it might just be spinning on the crankshaft? Just a stab in the dark. Wonder why the rotor bolt came loose, seems kind of weird.

·
Administrator
8,912 Posts
I'm guessing that if the rotor bolt loosened up and the woodruff key fell out or sheared, your starter could be turning the rotor but it might just be spinning on the crankshaft? Just a stab in the dark. Wonder why the rotor bolt came loose, seems kind of weird.
I can't imagine that the rotor could have been reassembled without torquing the bolt.
What I can envision is that, upon reassembly, the key became canted in the key-way. When the rotor was put on the taper, the key bound things up a bit and the rotor bolt felt right as it was torqued down. During operation the jammed key wiggled free, which loosened the rotor on the taper a bit. However, if no one had been in there to do the doohickey or remove the rotor, ther4e's no way in hell that the rotor bolt should have been loose. Half the people that do the doo spend much of the time that the job takes just trying to get the stupid bolt off.

The direction the shaft spins would tend to tighten the bolt, so it wouldn't spin out. It could, however, loosen a bit which would allow the rotor to creep off a bit more. Enough to disengage the starter clutch, which if I remember correctly is a simple roller bearing overrunning clutch. It wouldn't take much to disengage it.

I don't think the key could come out or shear, as that would require enough clearance that the bolt would have to back all the way out and the rotor nearly come through the side case. I should think that would be accompanied by much metallic gnashing and horrid, smoky noises...
Dunno if any of this happened, but it makes for a nice horror story.

If it were my engine I would be looking at the rotor to make sure there isn't a damaged key and that the rotor is on properly and the bolt torqued down. One way to test for the rotor being properly installed is to remove the bolt. It ought to be a real sumbitch to try and get the rotor off. If it's easy, it was loose.

Tom

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The damn bolt came loose with my fingers. That's why I was thinking it was the cause of it all, and allowed the starter clutch to just spin free. I snugged it down nice and tight and made sure the starter clutch wasn't spinning freely before I buttoned it up. I know I could have screwed up when I did the Doo, but that was several thousand miles.

I am leaning towards the theory that the shaft on the starter gears is too short. Have now heard that twice, so I will go that route when I work on it in the morning.

Thanks for all the help

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
My '09 has been trouble free since delivery last March. Maybe I missed something while reading through this thread, but what is warrenty (the dealer) telling you about the problem(s)? Are they giving you a run around? Again, I've had no troubles with my '09. My dealer here in Kalispell, MT has been great addressing any questions I've had.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My '09 has been trouble free since delivery last March. Maybe I missed something while reading through this thread, but what is warrenty (the dealer) telling you about the problem(s)? Are they giving you a run around? Again, I've had no troubles with my '09. My dealer here in Kalispell, MT has been great addressing any questions I've had.

Dealer?? What dealer???

1. Dealer is out of business
and
B. It is out of warranty by 7 months

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK, here's a question. should this part be in two pieces?

I do believe the answer is NO. This little bastard was letting the starter clutch spin freely. Wish I had noticed this yesterday. Hopefully I can find a replacement today. On the plus side, working on this has shown me the bolts holding the exhaust system on are getting rusty and need to be replaced.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts