Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
That looks to be a sheared woodruff key. The answer to your question is "no".

Woodruff key size is 5/32.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
That looks to be a sheared woodruff key. The answer to your question is "no".

Woodruff key size is 5/32.

So that's inches, not metric?? Hmmm, I probably had it in my hand and they just looked like they wouldn't fit. Well, back to the hardware store.

I did order one from the local shop. $1.99, but it won't be here til Monday. Really surprised such a piece would render the bike useless.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
The damn bolt came loose with my fingers. That's why I was thinking it was the cause of it all, and allowed the starter clutch to just spin free. I snugged it down nice and tight and made sure the starter clutch wasn't spinning freely before I buttoned it up. I know I could have screwed up when I did the Doo, but that was several thousand miles.

I am leaning towards the theory that the shaft on the starter gears is too short. Have now heard that twice, so I will go that route when I work on it in the morning.

Thanks for all the help

What did you torque the rotor bolt to? Should be in the neighborhood of 120-130 ft. lbs. No way that bolt will back out at that torque. Did you use a new bolt when you did the doo? They're a single use item.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
What did you torque the rotor bolt to? Should be in the neighborhood of 120-130 ft. lbs. No way that bolt will back out at that torque. Did you use a new bolt when you did the doo? They're a single use item.

Torqued the hell out of it BUT I reused the bolt. Now we see why its a one time use.

·
Lifetime Member
2,491 Posts
Hey! I guessed right! Do I win a prize? :D Just kidding, hopefully it didn't do any other damage and the bike is trouble free for you now... I think you have already had your fair share of grief with this bike so I hope this is the last thing to give you trouble on it.

Cheers!
Stew

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
Its running just fine now. 50cents later:50: I will reinspect it at the next oil change. I changed the Doo about 7 months ago, so I think I am good for a little while. This issue did lead me to disengage the side stand safety and the clutch safety, so those are out of the way. New fender coming in the mail tomorrow!

·
Premium Member
1,585 Posts
Mine's been dead-on reliable for almost 5,000 mi (8,000 km) and
I messed with the mixture, moved wires n' cables, and basically did
every free or Cheap mod to the batcycle. Nothing but love on this
end for the generation 2 KLR's. (if ya don't mind topping off the oil every thousand miles. lol)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Pulled off the road and while hitting the starter button, I could hear the starter spin but it wasn't catching on anything. So it would seem some gear or something broke or fell out of where it should be.
Apparently the starter gear grind is a flaw in most 08-09 models where the hole the gear shaft resides is drilled too deep and needs a spacer. I just read about this on another forum while researching this model. It appears to be as common as the doohickey problem in the 08-09s. Another flaw that is just poor machining, not a design flaw like the doohickey. FYI for those that have problems with the starter grinding.

edit: I double checked the forum and according to the data they collected from users it affects all 08 models and about half the 09s. It's the idler gear shaft hole in the outer case and needs a 10mm spacer. Cheap and easy fix if it's not already damaged. My concern is if this hole was not machined correctly, what other parts of the engine are also incorrectly machined that you can't see? I really like the design of the bike and already own a Kawasaki, but damn I'm loosing confidence quickly.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Another common problem when the bike is starting, running for a while, and then dying is that the gas cap vent is getting plugged. When it dies, open up the gas tank and see if you get a whoosh of air into the gas tank. If so, you need to disassemble your gas cap and figure out the issue. There is a little rubber piece in there that doesn't need to be replaced. Just remove it.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Apparently the starter gear grind is a flaw in most 08-09 models where the hole the gear shaft resides is drilled too deep and needs a spacer. I just read about this on another forum while researching this model. It appears to be as common as the doohickey problem in the 08-09s. Another flaw that is just poor machining, not a design flaw like the doohickey. FYI for those that have problems with the starter grinding.

edit: I double checked the forum and according to the data they collected from users it affects all 08 models and about half the 09s. It's the idler gear shaft hole in the outer case and needs a 10mm spacer. Cheap and easy fix if it's not already damaged. My concern is if this hole was not machined correctly, what other parts of the engine are also incorrectly machined that you can't see? I really like the design of the bike and already own a Kawasaki, but damn I'm loosing confidence quickly.
this is the first i've seen on this. i have an 09 and every so often ill get a grind but only when its cold out and i dont have the choke all the way out and i hit the gas and on the 2nd or third try....lol so basically i have to really try to make it happen.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
this is the first i've seen on this. i have an 09 and every so often ill get a grind but only when its cold out and i dont have the choke all the way out and i hit the gas and on the 2nd or third try....lol so basically i have to really try to make it happen.

Does it make a loud clunk from time to time when you try to start?? Mine used to do that, but stopped some time ago. I never fixed the deep hole problem. After working on all the problems my bike had, it is now very reliable.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Any problems I've had with my 09 have been self-inflicted. Took a while to get it set-up to my liking and a few 1,000 miles to get it broken in. Not the quickest pony in the stable but still a lot of fun. :35a:

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
yeah its either a clunk or a quick grind noise. as soon as i hear it i let off of course but like i said its really rare.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts