Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Steel, I have a question: did you have your wiring harness recalled and replaced?... They did that on mine, plus they changed the muffler bolt that comes out. Just wondering.

·
Registered
689 Posts
This is a minor question in light of what SteelB12 went through with his bike--but has anyone put a few 1-2" holes in the front fender to reduce the "SAIL" effect?? Would this work?? What would be the downside?
:desismiley1:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Don't know about the sail activity on my 09.... I do 90 sometimes on the highway when passing big trucks, but can't tell that there is a problem. The beak is bent down, so by making the air stream up and over the cowl ... right?.. so, there isn't any waver in the ride for me at 70, in calm conditions. Is this an issue with the round fenders?

I just found this:
http://rifle.com/Motorcycle-Windshields/Kawasaki/KLR-650-Dual-Windshield-System-2008-.aspx

its not a fender issue, but solves a rider buffet problem that I have presently
it would be easy to duplicate the standoff's with the use of the orig. factory shield.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Steel, I have a question: did you have your wiring harness recalled and replaced?... They did that on mine, plus they changed the muffler bolt that comes out. Just wondering.
I was told that the recalls were done prior to me taking delivery of the bike. It still didn't prevent a couple breakdowns due to the chaffing of wiring.

Again, now that I have messed around with the bike so much, I have not had a problem in a very long time. I am now very happy with my bike.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Guys drill holes in the Gen 1 fenders. Not sure if it would work on the Gen 2. Acerbis is $20 and I like the look and it makes a world of difference, so I didn't worry about it.

·
Registered
5,930 Posts
Minimalist hijacking: Ain't noticed any "sail effect" with my OEM Generation 1 fender; maybe I should ask for a refund?

Analytically, I can't account for a sail effect, aerodynamically, given the small area of the fender (putative aerodynamic surface). But, I can't argue with those who experience the "sail effect;" if you feel it, you got it! I don't, I'll just be grateful.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Minimalist hijacking: Ain't noticed any "sail effect" with my OEM Generation 1 fender; maybe I should ask for a refund?

Analytically, I can't account for a sail effect, aerodynamically, given the small area of the fender (putative aerodynamic surface). But, I can't argue with those who experience the "sail effect;" if you feel it, you got it! I don't, I'll just be grateful.

thats what I hear too... and quite possibly we deserve to feel the sail effect too.... and doggone it!... get our money back....:10:

I did have a wiring deal to.. but it was only due to a poor ground to those aftermarke fog lamps. Needless to say, I was spooked for a week or so also. I was wondering if Im to expect any worse from my 09... but prob not.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Did someone say, "poor ground to aftermarket lighting?"

Hey, I meant to say cheap. really. ...

Looks like yours got a bit warmish. Good thing it didn't flash over.

Mine was due to poor mechanical installation from a back room tech. mech.
at the dealership. I dislike talking ill about them, but hey- I redid it better than they on this occasion. One of those short wire attempts to just make the connection, knowing the whole while that you need some extra for flexation.
Killed the battery permanent like.... on a meet up too. bummer thing to bump start the whole 95 miles of F.S. road- poker run.

It pays to do your own work.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
I think wind plays a big factor in the sail effect. It only tweaked me when I was living on the coast. The GG Bridge gets insane crosswind. I was riding over it twice a day.

·
Registered
97 Posts
boy , cross winds just suck. I got hit once with 50 mph frontal, side deflective stuff while on the interstate here. Had to slow it up to about 30 to make it mostly home ( 35 miles). Gusts are unseen predators in my book. I was following my buddy once, and minding my own business and all... looked up and saw him on the shoulder of the road, leaning hard left about 10 degrees or maybe a bit more.... then I was doing the same thing. that woke me up.

Fender or no fender right?

·
Registered
5,930 Posts
I think wind plays a big factor in the sail effect.
Speaking of wind, generally, seems to me installation of a TPI windshield (Generation 1) IMPROVED aerodynamic stability considerably.

No measurable, verifiable test data, but . . . I feared a "sail effect" from the windscreen; found no indication in practice. Cross-winds appear to have less destabilizing effect, and the bike doesn't appear to be as sensitive to headwinds as it was, "naked." (Previously, headwinds REALLY seemed to make the little engine work hard.)

Psychological perception? Placebo effect? IMPOSSIBLE? Maybe so; but--that's how riding with a windshield seems to me; YMMV!

·
Registered
97 Posts
true, I would get great fuel economy if I just stayed home each spring and fall. lol

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sail effect in crosswinds

I was having a terrible front end shake from the beak on the fender. I noticed it was vibrating like crazy in the wind (speeds 55-90). Read somewhere on here about shortening it up by removing the "beak". I did and reduced the shake by 95+% in crosswinds. Phil

41 - 54 of 54 Posts