Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my 2 bikes. The red and green one is my daily I got it for cheap. The guy I got it from was doing a wheelie and dropped it going pretty quick and I get speed wobbles over 80. The naked one was my first bike I’ve had it for 3 years it was mint when I got it. I was hit on it this past February. I rebuilt it into a drag bike.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,037 Posts
Did you install spacers under the heads of the damper rods of the forks? Or did you permanently shorten the damper rods, to lower the nose?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you install spacers under the heads of the damper rods of the forks? Or did you permanently shorten the damper rods, to lower the nose?
I just removed the fork tube spacers. I figured I didn’t need them going in a straight line.

·
Premium Member
7,037 Posts
I just removed the fork tube spacers. I figured I didn’t need them going in a straight line.
But doesn't that allow the forks to just slip straight up to Full Extension & still attempt to wheelie off the line, or do you a limiter strap to keep the suspension from extending?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But doesn't that allow the forks to just slip straight up to Full Extension & still attempt to wheelie off the line, or do you a limiter strap to keep the suspension from extending?
so far they haven’t tried to really extend at all that I have noticed.

·
Premium Member
7,037 Posts
so far they haven’t tried to really extend at all that I have noticed.
But if it is not trying to wheelie, what would an Extended swingarm gain you?

·
Premium Member
7,037 Posts
it has wheelied on me before when I try to launch hard and I’m going to be doing some more go fast parts in the future.
Well that right there tells me that your fork is extending. Unless that wheelie was on stock suspension.

Try putting a U-Bolt around the fork leg below the seal flange, tighten lightly with nylock nuts. Install a tiedown ring on the lower triple clamp bolt. Use a piece of nylon webbing with holes MELTED into each end to connect between U-Bolt & ring to keep the suspension from extending at all and go try a Hard Launch.

The extra 15-20 pounds of front wheel holding the front end down maybe help more than you thought it would.

Just trying to keep your expenses down also.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it has wheelied on me before when I try to launch hard and I’m going to be doing some more go fast parts in the future.
Well that right there tells me that your fork is extending. Unless that wheelie was on stock suspension.

Try putting a U-Bolt around the fork leg below the seal flange, tighten lightly with nylock nuts. Install a tiedown ring on the lower triple clamp bolt. Use a piece of nylon webbing with holes MELTED into each end to connect between U-Bolt & ring to keep the suspension from extending at all and go try a Hard Launch.

The extra 15-20 pounds of front wheel holding the front end down maybe help more than you thought it would.

Just trying to keep your expenses down also.
I did have the front strapped down before and it wheelied. I’m trying to launch this thing as hard as I can with out the front coming up.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
That’s a very respectable time for a one lung to run! Always great to see the different ways people use these bikes.

·
Premium Member
7,037 Posts
In the mid to late '80s I attended a 1/4 mile drag race at a semi-local town (Douglas, WY 190 miles from Lander), it got rained out.

But not before seeing numerous odd match-ups for bracket racing. I think I remember seeing a Ford F-150 6 cylinder, automatic transmission win one round with a 22 + second run. He was about 2/3rd the distance down the track before the old style front engine Drag Rail got the Green and broke out of Bracket.

The Drag Bike that stands out in my mind to this day was based on a Rokon! Not the model most people know, though. But a competition motocross/enduro model that used cast Plastic wheels & CVT drive system. The owner was using a newer twin cylinder snowmobile engine and said it made Very Consistent runs.

I imagine that I shouldn't COPY a Wikipedia section about the RT340 TRC, so here is the link.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rokon_(motorcycle_manufacturer)

Wonder if anyone of us can find an old cycle magazine pic of the plastic wheeled MX bike (IIRC)?

Well my memory failed me I guess, but the Rokon RT340 was WAY ahead of its time! Cast magnesium wheels & disc brakes on both ends.
But then, I haven't found a pic of the MX bike that I think I recall they made.

https://www.mecum.com/lots/LV0118-320072/1973-rokon-340-rt/

1 - 13 of 13 Posts