Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
08 KLR stock stock stock with doo-hickey.
38 Posts
You mention that you "had spark plug replaced"... I take it that means you are paying professional mechanics to chase this fault?

Anyone with half a brain - such as me - would check for gas in the oil and fuel petcock operation. I have no idea what a "trained technician" will try...

Good luck, and hope your pockets are deep enough to get to the bottom of this.

·
Registered
5,974 Posts
I would look at the tank vent. Next time it starts mis-behaving, loosen off the gas-cap immediately, don't take it right off and lose it, just loosen it to let air in.
Fortunately, Generation 1 fuel filler caps are hinged; swing open when unlocked for re-fueling. "Fortunately," because . . . if the caps were loose, I'd have already lost mine! :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
"diminished lubricity" "swinging caps" "gravity feed and the standpipes"

Which is the best band name?....

I guess Ty Rap and the Chafed Harnesses could be in there somewhere...

·
Registered
08 KLR stock stock stock with doo-hickey.
38 Posts
Brand Name? Yes, "Ty-Rap" - spelled exactly like that - is a Thomas and Betts brand name of nylon cable tie. How about "pop and fart and buck and snort" - I think thats a breakfast cereal... hopefully the OP is at a point in this diagnosis that corny humor can be funny.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I think there's room in life for corny humor! He'll be fine....

Good band name jokes must be an American thing:)

·
Registered
5,974 Posts
"diminished lubricity" "swinging caps" "gravity feed and the standpipes"

Which is the best band (sic) name?....

I guess Ty Rap and the Chafed Harnesses could be in there somewhere...
Assuming you meant, "brand" name: For lubricity, I'd refer you to the notional firm of, "Tribology Associates."

As to, "gravity feed," I think Isaac Newton's firm has trade-marked, "gravity." Anyway, you can't go wrong with a Newtonian-branded concept or device.

As to, "standpipes," Pascal (nicknamed by his friends, "the Rascal") remains a paramount, "brand name," in hydrostatics associated with standpipes.

Then again, there exists the, "Hydrostatic Paradox," which . . . oh, never mind! :)

·
Premium Member
8,462 Posts
Failing that wild guess, I'd look at the fuel petcock, make sure you have correct operation of fuel petcock. Test with mity-vac. I tested mine, and in the on position with no vacuum applied, it still leaks at a drip-drip-drip rate. I have got to the habit of turning petcock to OFF if not running for more than a minute or so. When I pulled on the fuel valve with the mity-vac, about 6 inches of vacuum opened up a pretty good flow.
No need for a fancy 'Mity-Vac' to test the vacuum operated fuel petcock on a lowly KLR.

An empty 'Visine' bottle can apply and HOLD enough vacuum on the 'whimpy little diaphragm spring' with a good hose & good diaphragm to totally drain a KLR650 fuel tank.

The sealing o-ring for the plunger of the petcock diaphragm is sold separately. Could be a near dirt cheap repair for your drippy petcock. Complete diaphragm kit isn't too awfully pricey, either.

I hate seeing Manual OFF only Fuel Valves on carbs that do Not have a float bowl overflow stand pipe in them!! Because too few owners turn them OFF religiously, Key off/Fuel Off!

21 - 27 of 27 Posts