Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was finished clean my bike then i was so stupid i rolled my bike forward while kick stand was down and i was expecting it to go up its self and 2 spring came off entwined together. So i have no clue where it came from. Will upload picks tomorrow(i was so mad i didn't want to deal with it). And I'm asking fellow 2015 klr folks to take pic of there kickstand and spring for i can see what i f??? up. Ty.

Sent from my Z959 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup, springs are the same. But both are together. Not broken in half because both sides have hooks on them(except one, can tell it broke off)

·
Registered
335 Posts
Okay, yes, they are two springs. They are coiled together with 2 hooks on each end. The hooks face toward the front of the bike, with the longer hook on top. Thats with the kickstand down.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, ty. Sadly, both came off. Now i need to find a replacement and its going be a pain to get it on.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Ok, ty. Sadly, both came off. Now i need to find a replacement and its going be a pain to get it on.

Can't you just put them back on? Why the replacement? Did they break? They might have just slipped off. It Shouldn't be that hard to get back on. I'm thinking its going to be easier with someone holding the bike while to get the spring on with the kickstand up, as thats a more relaxed position for the spring. Again, then the longer hook will be toward the front of the bike and both ends of the hooks will then be facing down.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can't you just put them back on? Why the replacement? Did they break? They might have just slipped off. It Shouldn't be that hard to get back on. I'm thinking its going to be easier with someone holding the bike while to get the spring on with the kickstand up, as thats a more relaxed position for the spring.
One of the springs hooks did break. My local stores may not have a exact spring so i might well replace the whole thing.

·
Registered
335 Posts
One of the springs hooks did break. My local stores may not have a exact spring so i might well replace the whole thing.

Ahh. :t1204: The part number in the above post appears to be correct. And when you zoom way in, you can see it is infact a double spring.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
The springs on my 2008 and 2011 are double as is yours.

Replacing the spring is not as difficult as you might think. I did it several years ago when I took the stand off for some reason. I don't remember the exact technique, but mainly it is just a matter of working at it.

I either used some vice grips and a screwdriver to stretch it or I took the pivot bolt out, hooked the spring and then worked the bolt back in.

The Official Kawasaki service manual is no help. It says "•
Hook the spring [E] so that face the long spring end upward"

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The springs on my 2008 and 2011 are double as is yours.

Replacing the spring is not as difficult as you might think. I did it several years ago when I took the stand off for some reason. I don't remember the exact technique, but mainly it is just a matter of working at it.

I either used some vice grips and a screwdriver to stretch it or I took the pivot bolt out, hooked the spring and then worked the bolt back in.

The Official Kawasaki service manual is no help. It says "•
Hook the spring [E] so that face the long spring end upward"
Thanks, was about to put it in any order. Il just use a screw driver to pull the spring to attach it

·
Registered
82 Posts
Spring re-install

Real easy bend spring one way -put a nickle or washer in open side then bend other way - insert nickle --repeat until spring is extended enough to install flex spring and coins will fall out use coins to buy a cold drink to celebrate Ride safe Rebar James in Friendswood Tx:mexican wave:

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Real easy bend spring one way -put a nickle or washer in open side then bend other way - insert nickle --repeat until spring is extended enough to install flex spring and coins will fall out use coins to buy a cold drink to celebrate Ride safe Rebar James in Friendswood Tx:mexican wave:
Now that is a clever idea. I guess if you take your stand off a few time to make an adjustable version, you find ways to make your work easier.

·
Registered
82 Posts
kick standspring

Yep and if you put the coins in when the stand is down it comes right off when the stand goes up -- leave the coins in place -- it goes right back on -put the stand down the coins fall out --no sweat
The adjustable stand is nice when the load changes
ride safe James :character00201:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts