Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Original symptom: would not crank. fixed that & the symptom changed to no spark. Have been on that for almost a month and am sure I completly ruined Damocles and Tom. Checked(this morning) the connections from the excitor coil and read @30v AC. checked the blk to the coil primary and had plenty activity while holding the starter button. Pulled the blk/yel connector off to look at it. Cleaned it, reconnected same, hit th' start button and had spark! Now my symptom is no fuel - - tank is sitting on the ground! Gone to take care of that right now- back shortly....IT's ALIVE!! And I know more about it than I did a month ago....Thanks to the patience of those who took their time to work with me. :sign0191:

Jim

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Damocles for the reply. I was afraid I might never hear from you or Tom again. If this episode had been with my car or truck, I would most likely have started with the coil('cause I pretty well understand that ign system - I knew absolutely nothing about the klr. Thanks to you folks, I pretty well understand it now. I thought you might have been interested in my reading with a Simpson 260 AC meter across the exciter coil....

Does the cdi pulse the primary - or kill the voltage already there? Wondering about time needed to build up the magnetic field?? However it does it - it works pretty good! This bike amazes me the way it just putt putts along. I'm looking pretty hard at an add someone here has for a "touring windscreen", but don'r remember where the add was.

Would the starting fluid have led me to a bad neg. connection at the coil sooner? There was no spark, due to the dirty connection. I always try to stay away from either on my vehicles. My son & grandsons are currently trying to get my '77 240d Mercedes running(been sitting for several years. We MAY have to resort to a gasoline soaked rag placed at the air intake? That's worked for me in the past.

Jim

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
The pulse from the pickup coil (senses timing mass on alternator rotor) triggers a thyristor discharging a capacitor through the primary ignition coil winding; the ignition coil steps-up that voltage through its secondary winding, firing the spark plug.

CAPACITIVE (as in, a capacitor) DISCHARGE (as in, discharging a charged capacitor, in this case across the ignition coil primary winding) IGNITION (a spark occurs across the spark plug electrodes, when the ignition coil transforms the voltage from the discharging capacitor to the high voltage required to arc across the spark plug electrodes and ignite the air/fuel mixture in the cylinder); "CDI!"

The use of starting fluid is of no consequence to your electrics.

If you have SPARK, COMPRESSION, and a COMBUSTIBLE MIXTURE, oughta start! The starting fluid insures a combustible mixture.

Good luck!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The use of starting fluid is of no consequence to your electrics.

If you have SPARK, COMPRESSION, and a COMBUSTIBLE MIXTURE, oughta start! The starting fluid insures a combustible mixture.

Good luck!
Seems that you have missed my stating that my bike now runs like a new one! AND thanking you guys for helping me understand our ignition theory.

I just couldn't understand your advise about "starting fluid could be my friend" - when I had indicated there was no spark at the plug,,,,

Jim

·
Registered
63 Posts
Seems that you have missed my stating that my bike now runs like a new one! AND thanking you guys for helping me understand ur ignition theory.

I just couldn't understand your advise about "starting fluid could be my friend" - when I had indicated there was no spark at the plug,,,,

Jim
I think he was referring to using it on your first start up if it were not firing up easily.

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
Seems that you have missed my stating that my bike now runs like a new one!
Silly me; at no point in this thread previously did I discern any remark suggesting your bike, "now runs like a new one."

You said you had spark, but I think like Millhouse, I did not know you successfully started your bike from your previous posts, like this one:
Original symptom: would not crank. fixed that & the symptom changed to no spark. Have been on that for almost a month and am sure I completly ruined Damocles and Tom. Checked(this morning) the connections from the excitor coil and read @30v AC. checked the blk to the coil primary and had plenty activity while holding the starter button. Pulled the blk/yel connector off to look at it. Cleaned it, reconnected same, hit th' start button and had spark! Now my symptom is no fuel - - tank is sitting on the ground! Gone to take care of that right now- back shortly....IT's ALIVE!! And I know more about it than I did a month ago....Thanks to the patience of those who took their time to work with me.

Jim
Did, "IT's ALIVE!!" mean you started the engine, and it runs like a new one? Maybe so. The conclusion did not appear abundantly obvious, to me, or to Millhouse, I think.

Hey, I saw the first-run screening of "Frankenstein," myself!

Glad you got your bike running.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Boris used to chase me home from the Jackson theater in Cincinnati every time I would go to see Frankenstein - but I was more scared when he played"the mummy"! & he would walk up that incline to John Carridean caling "Carlis - carlis" thru the tanna leaf smoke!

Thanks, Damocles....

Jim

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Silly me; at no point in this thread previously did I discern any remark suggesting your bike, "now runs like a new one."

You said you had spark, but I think like Millhouse, I did not know you successfully started your bike from your previous posts, like this one:Did, "IT's ALIVE!!" mean you started the engine, and it runs like a new one? Maybe so. The conclusion did not appear abundantly obvious, to me, or to Millhouse, I think.

Hey, I saw the first-run screening of "Frankenstein," myself!

Glad you got your bike running.
Hi Damaclese! Did you help getting him running too? Bahahahahaahah!!
Regards....justjeff

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
He actually was instrumental in helping me solve my problems, if only by making me feel ashamed that I had lost so much of basic electronic knowledge thru the years. I think that one of my biggest goofs was in separating a connector and taking so long to realize I was working on the male/female lugs rather than the other one. Metering an open cable harness wasnt helping me at all!

Goin' ridin' tomorrow, IF I can get the bike off the lift table....

Jim

I STILL maintain that one has to learn HOW something works before you can fix it!

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
Hi Damaclese! Did you help getting him running too? Bahahahahaahah!!
Actually, I worked on the Tesla coil arc electrodes, Jeff!

You know, two vertical, diverging conductors, with the arcs of successive sparks climbing from the bottom to the top of the display, with lots of accompanying "crackle" noise.

Real crowd-pleasers, those. Used in most science-fiction movies since. 'Specially, those with mad scientists working in their laboratories.

I think they were seen even in, "Young Frankenstein."

That's me, on the right:

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
He actually was instrumental in helping me solve my problems, if only by making me feel ashamed that I had lost so much of basic electronic knowledge thru the years. I think that one of my biggest goofs was in separating a connector and taking so long to realize I was working on the male/female lugs rather than the other one. Metering an open cable harness wasnt helping me at all!

Goin' ridin' tomorrow, IF I can get the bike off the lift table....

Jim

I STILL maintain that one has to learn HOW something works before you can fix it!
It's OK Jim, Damoclese knows I was just ribbin' him:) Nice that you defended him though!
I disagree with your last comment about having to know how something works to fix it. Thousands of mechanics charging millons of dollars change unnecessary parts and accidentally fix things every day!
Glad you found the problem.
Regards....justjeff

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
And they come away as dumb(maybe dumber) than they were when they started on it. All they do is throw the parts department at it and bill it to the customer!!

Jim

1 - 15 of 15 Posts